• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on motherboard purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bashiier

Registered
Ok im getting a new case tommrrow but i need a new board and ima AMD person and was just wondering what i should get ima gamer i know i have enough power just got a new power supply today 775w just throw some ideas i have an AM3 processor but if u give me a good board idea idc about upgrading to a newer processor im looking to get a 6-core any way

Changed your thread title to something that made sense, which should get you some responses.

You didnt add punctuation to help the post though CW... :p

Anyway, What is your budget? I would grab something based off the 990FX chipset which should support Bulldozer (with bios update) if you choose to move to that CPU.

You need to get serious and specific about your parts and pieces if you want a correct and valid motherboard purchase suggestion. Guesses at what you have and guesses at what you might want to do are most likely to get you no decent and valid suggestions or it will get you just guesses.

What do you use a computer for most of the time? Do you game? Do you just do email and read webpages. Do you decode movies? Do you run folding@home in the background? In other words, what is the intended use of your system configuration?

AMD Phenom II X2 550 oc'd 3.6GHz = IS the processor a 550BE?

2x4GB 8GB DDR3 Ram = What speed ram and who made it and their model number?

500GB WD Caviar Green HDD = Should we assume it is a Sata 2 hard drive?

775W ATX power supply = What brand and what model?

AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series 1GB dedi = Is that a 6750 , 6770 or 6790 video card? Is it a stand alone video card that plugs into the motherboard and could be moved to another motherboard?

1. > What size case are you thinking to get? mATX? Tower? Full tower? What brand and model case is the best description of the case, you could give to us. Then we know approximately how much room you have for a motherboard.

2. > The motherboard you wish to buy should dictate the type and size of case you get. And not get a case and then try to fit a motherboard in the case and even "think" about overclocking.

3. > If the case were a decent size and overclocking very much were in the ideas you have for your system then you likely should get a full size ATX motherboard.

4. > Depending on the answer about the video card above, then do you need onboard video?

5. > Depending on the answer as to whether your cpu is a BE version or not then the motherboard you might choose could need the option to unlock the hidden/disabled cores.

6. > So you give to us good, complete and concise information, then many of us in the forum could more easily and adequetely advise you toward the purchase of a motherboard.

7. > And in closing since we are all just guessing, do you intend at some later time, to move to a Bulldozer cpu or not?

You ask a question that should only and likely can only be answered adequetely if you furnish full information. Luck man.

Back