• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on Sound for a new Gaming Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jumpin Jack

I'm building a new Rig for COD4 and the recommend spec are:
Processor: 2.6ghz Pentium IV or equivalent (3.2ghz recommended for Vista)
RAM: 1024mb (1536mb recommended for Vista)
Video Card: DirectX 9-compliant Shader 3.0 card with 128 MB of DDR Video Memory (256 MB recommended) AGP 8x or PCI-Express x16
Sound Card: 16-bit DirectX 9-compliant sound card
DirectX9 for XP and 10 for Vista, 8 gigs HD space + 600mb for swap file.
Supported chipsets:
Nvidia Geforce 6/7/8 series
ATi X800 or higher

My old PC just had Creative Sound Blaster live 5.1 + Creative Inspire 5.1 5200. So what is best at the moment for a gaming rig. Is the M/B on-board sound good enough (Asus P5KC) or should I run a sound card as well?

Thks!

OK.. no one has an opinion? I replaced the M/B with a Abit IP35 Pro and the on-board sound is not that great so I need a decent sound card?

So what is best at the moment for a gaming rig :confused:.

Well there's no response because it's been addressed ad nauseum on this forum already. Just do a search. The 2 top cards are the Creative X-Fi platinum or Auzentech Prelude.

From your sig, it looks like your setup is powerful enough to not take much of a hit from non-accelerated sound cards like your on board (since your rig can dedicate an ENTIRE core to just the sound :p ).

So what you should be looking for is sound quality, which points you to cards using the Via Envy24HT, such as the Chaintech AV-710, to get true 24 bit support (which Creative cards pretend to have)

From your sig, it looks like your setup is powerful enough to not take much of a hit from non-accelerated sound cards like your on board (since your rig can dedicate an ENTIRE core to just the sound :p ).

So what you should be looking for is sound quality, which points you to cards using the Via Envy24HT, such as the Chaintech AV-710, to get true 24 bit support (which Creative cards pretend to have)

trowakage, Thanks for that, I appreciate that info and your time. :thup:

Back