• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Assistance Overclocking FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Memphis

Registered
I am looking to get a stable overclock on my cpu @4.4 or 4.5. I have read trough all the information on this site but still could use some help. You can see my current specs below. Let the fun begin.:rock:

Begin at the beginning...

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

I have my 6300 4.592 @ 1.45V some have it a little less. NB is a *** on these leave it around 2200, ht is stock 2600. The only thing you should need to tweak is CPU volts. 4.5 @ around 1.4375V. When you start playing with FSX it will increase Mem.HT and NB so try multi first. mine is 224 X 20.5. Sometimes FSB can help lower Volts required to get same clock.

Ok Memphis rgar's all good only thing is we need to see the Hwmonitor while the PC is under load. Run P95 with the monitor open for about 20 mins. Then take a snip of it.

I have mine at 4.6GHz. The voltage is at 1.44v. The multiplier is at 23.5. That was all I changed. On that voltage it will do 4.7 seems stable, but at 4.8 it croaks. Ive done 4.8 to benchmark, thats about it. Ive ran prime 95 for a couple hours @4.6 and it doesn't drop any of the cores.

ealu.png

I was wrong. Its @ 1.5v. Thought it was @ 1.4v. I am using a H60 btw. I had it at 4.4 with my CM Hyper 212 EVO. Been a while, but I think I had the volts at 1.35v-1.4v.

Last edited:
ealu.png

I was wrong. Its @ 1.5v. Thought it was @ 1.4v. I am using a H60 btw. I had it at 4.4 with my CM Hyper 212 EVO. Been a while, but I think I had the volts at 1.35v-1.4v.

4.4 is what I am shooting for Im trying to figure out where to change my cpu voltage in this uefi bios :bang head also i notice that my core speed drops dramaticaly under load is this normal?

I have an UFEI American Megatrends Bios. All I change is under PState config then Custom Pstate. I set the multiplier to x23(4.6). 4.4 would be at x22.

Then I would go to Over Voltage Config and set it to +0.2 to bring it up to 1.4. Mine stock was 1.2v so +0.2 will bring you to 1.4v. I can post pictures if you like. It will take me about an hour or so. I have something to do atm. Let me know.

After another 20 min prime 95 test and bumping it up to 4.5 here is what I got. I also like to note that it seems as if my voltage goes up and down as does my core speed. How do I stop this from happening?

Capture.JPG

4.JPG

Oh. It does that. If your not using all cores it fluctuates. Mine has an option to enable/disable spread spectrum. I disable that. It changes things up and down. Mine was a screen shot while I has a benchmark software running in the background so it would show the cpu under full load. Looks like your good if your prime 95 run didnt have any cores fail.

Using an air cooler Id watch the core temps at that overclock. I had mine at 4.4 because it took me out of my comfort zone. I forget what it used to hit. I think it was mid 60's or low 70's. With the h60 i hit 50c with full load.

Last edited:
Mr. Memphis I notice all of your voltages are low. You may need a new power supply in the future. You should check them with a volt meter. I'd hate to see you reach your OC goal just to have your whole system become toast because of a old/faulty PSU. :shock:

Yes would be wise to check real power supply voltage with a DMM. It is likely the Gigabyte board I/O chip causing the problem though and reading weird.

MOBO:GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 << There are a number of Revisions of those UD3 boards. Which revision is yours?
RGone...

Yes would be wise to check real power supply voltage with a DMM. It is likely the Gigabyte board I/O chip causing the problem though and reading weird.

MOBO:GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 << There are a number of Revisions of those UD3 boards. Which revision is yours?
RGone...

I have rev.3.0. I will load my optimized defaults again and see what the voltage looks like and will post another snapshot

I want to do a mild overclock on my amd fx-6300 with a coolermaster tx3 and the gigabyte 970a-ud3 rev 3.0 motherboard i want to go to 3.8 on the clock and this is it what is the multiplier i need to go to to get this

I want to do a mild overclock on my amd fx-6300 with a coolermaster tx3 and the gigabyte 970a-ud3 rev 3.0 motherboard i want to go to 3.8 on the clock and this is it what is the multiplier i need to go to to get this

You really need to begin your own thread instead of dropping into someone else's thread on the second page. You get way more attention since most have already read this thread and decided if they are interested in it anymore.
RGone...

Alright everyone I sent my motherboard back the other day and got myself a Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z. I only overcloked it to 4Ghz at the moment unitl I get some extra case fans but what temps should I stay aorund?

Back