• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need assistance with new build :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Iamthedude

Registered
Hey guys I'm new here and plan on checking out all the various helpful stuff you guys do :p, iv been building my gaming PCs sense I was 10 and am finally getting into a bit of over clocking. For all the years iv been building iv used amd, now iv made the switch to Intel and I hope it's just as good as my amd days have been, now my issue is I bought a gigabyte ud3h bk edition motherboard and paired it with the supposedly lovely g3258, with obviously the intent to overclock... I'm using the stock cooler at the moment but my problem is every time I touch any setting what so ever in the bios I get a boot fail and then have to reset to defaults and load into Windows, I used easy tune iv tried doing the oc in the bios, I formatted my c: and reinstalled windows 8, iv also made sure the bios was up to date. (Box says rev 1.1, but bios update tool say 1.0), not sure if it's just a typo on the label or what. Anyways I don't know if I'm setting something wrong or if it's just defective, but I can't adjust a single setting.

I'm trying a 4.0ghz oc and I would set the vcore at 1.25v as I read that was safe and sound.

Gigabyte ud3h bk
Intel g3258
Powercooler hd6950 2gb
Thermaltake 850watt
G skill ripjaws 1333mhz.
Various hard drives lol
256gb adata ssd.

Which bios version does it have? That CPU needs F5 to function properly.

Try updating your bios first to at least F5 if not the newest and report back.

It's running f6, I seen the notes saying it added a g3258 overclock in f5. I'm not sure if I should just flash it right from the bios instead of threw windows as everywhere it is reading f6, updated like June of 14 I believe.

What settings are you changing? It should only be multiplier and voltage.

Please post screenshots of cpuz. The first tab, mainboard, memory and spd please.

Ok I will do, and the only voltage setting I was changing was vcore as I wasn't sure if that was the right one or not. And changing the cpu multiplier from 32 to 40

Which bios version does it have? That CPU needs F5 to function properly.

Try updating your bios first to at least F5 if not the newest and report back.

Do you know which board he's using E.D? He didn't list the full board name with the chipset bit (ie, Z97AUD3H) so I don't know what he's dealing with. If you know can you post it so other people have a reference point when they post in this thread?

Do you know which board he's using E.D? He didn't list the full board name with the chipset bit (ie, Z97AUD3H) so I don't know what he's dealing with. If you know can you post it so other people have a reference point when they post in this thread?

The only UD3H BK is the Z97X...

Well, in the first post he put "Gigabyte ud3h bk". When I googled that, it only returned Z97 chipset results (since the chipset was the only thing missing). The only chipsets his CPU works with are Z87/Z97. With that, I made the logical leap towards the GA-Z97X-UD3H BK as it was the only one named exactly what he called it. :)

Only 50% noob on my post at least :p I didnt think there was any other ud3h bk edition so I didn't list it was a z97x lol. My bad guys, but I'll post photos in a minute, is it easy to do on the forum?

Only 50% noob on my post at least :p I didnt think there was any other ud3h bk edition so I didn't list it was a z97x lol. My bad guys, but I'll post photos in a minute, is it easy to do on the forum?

There isn't any other UD3H BK, which everyone else noticed besides OCNoob. You're good, don't sweat it :)

Yeah, pictures are pretty easy to post here! Just click the image button on the new post area, then follow what it says :thup:

Look here on your actual motherboard and see what the rev says, please.
UD3H Rev.jpg

Where did you download the BIOS update tool from?
If it was from Gigabyte's site, did you go to the page for the Rev 1.1 before downloading? If not, that's why the tool says 1.0.

So far so good...in the bios, you say you just changed vcore only. Can you capture some shots of the bios and post those too? Specifically the voltage pages and where you change the multipier. I can't seem to find any for this board on google. You can do that by pressing F12 with a USB stick plugged in and it should save to that (assuming it can take bios ss, which I think it can?).

A helpful tip: Make sure the window you want to capture is in the 'front'... hit ALT+PRT SCR, THEN paste into Paint or where ever. This way, you only capture the info you want (or crop the image, LOL!).

lol makes sense, honestly iv never screen shotted anything before so :p never had a need. And thanks for that mobo pic, i didnt know the rev model was listed in the corner, it says 1.1, so @BioS has been downloading rev 1.0 from server for some reason, i just flashed it to 1.1 now... ill take some pics in a minute, thanks for all the help so far.

Ok well in the first picture maybe? lol i changed cpu clock ratio to 40, cpu uncore to 40, cpu vcore to 1.25. is all the settings i touched, then last is the error message i receive after every time i touch the bios, even a 3.3ghz oc.

150120225606.jpg 150120225622.jpg 150120225627.jpg 150120225637.jpg

Did the flash itself make overclocking work?

Leave the uncore alone (auto), and just raise the multi and core voltage. If that doesn't work, raise the voltage only and make sure its working (see voltage on load in CPUz).

voltage is working, that booted fine, i did the oc for 4.0ghz in easy tune, it says its taking it but loading up a game hasnt sent it past 3.2, cpuz did read 4.0ghz for a short time but reverted back down lol. but no crash yet.

I would check something like this:
1. enter BIOS, load setup defaults, save and exit, if it boots then go to point 2
2. enter any tab not related to OC, change option like turn off audio card or whatever, save and exit, if it boots then go to point 3
3. enter OC tab and change CPU ratio to x36, don't touch anything else, if it boots and in system you will see 3.6GHz under load then it's working fine and you set something wrong in BIOS

Never set uncore = CPU clock or above or board won't boot. Optimal is usually 200-300MHz below CPU clock but can be even lower.
Also as others mentioned don't use any software for overclocking. Stick to BIOS only.
Good is to disable C stages ( C1, C3, C6 ). EIST can be enabled. Keep Turbo enabled too.

Read this guide. It was made on Z87 board but includes everything for Z97 and explains many things regarding overclocking:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

thanks for all the help guys, iv got it reading 1.25v on the vcore and at a 3.7ghz oc. i tried 3.8 but ill get a bsod after 30 mins of gaming. so ill try the settings you suggest and see if it improves, id love to get it to 4.0, but i mean i am using stock cooler so.

Back