• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Cooling Help for CM 690 II and I7 950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jakethesnake

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post here on the forum

Okay I've had my pc built for about 2 months now with the following parts

CM 690 II Advanced nVidia Edition Case
Asus Sabertooth X58
Intel i7 950
EVGA GTS 450
8gb Corsair 1866mhz
60Gb OCZ Agility 3
2tb Hitachi 6gb/s

I started with the H50 for cpu cooling but wasn't getting good temps so i got the Spire Version 2 and I'm still at an idle temp of about 45C

I have both spire fans on cpu cooler
-Gentle Typhoon on the rear exhaust fan
-2 140mm on the top exhaust
-120mm bottom intake fan
-120mm x2 front intake Hard drive and in extra 5.25 space
- I also have i think is a 80mm blowing right onto the NB

My GPU with the fan 70% at about 42C Idle

My room is a little warmer then most rooms, but I still think my temps should be lower..

Can I get any Suggestions.. Here are some quick pics.. but these are old and don't include the new spire cooler or extra fans but do show the layout

PhotoMay2084544PM.jpg

PhotoMay2084550PM.jpg

:welcome: to OCForums!

Idle temps don't really mean too much. What's your loaded temps?

Also, I noticed you have two sticks of RAM running in single channel mode. Your X58 system supports triple channel with 3 or 6 sticks and dual channel with 2 or 4 sticks. Triple channel is best, but since you have only 2 sticks I would suggest putting them in dual channel mode. Below is a pic of the Sabertooth X58 manual showing RAM installation:

Screenshot.png

Last edited:
This is an old pic. I do currently have them in duel channel mode.. and my loaded temps with prime hover around 62-63C

Ah okay, just making sure :thup:

Those temps aren't bad at all for a Bloomfield, those things are heat monsters. I would expect the H50 with good fans in Push/Pull to beat out the Spire TherMax Eclipse II.

I did read over some reviews and tests of the Spire and It had pretty good reviews.. but they also wern't using the 950..

Here are the updated pictures of my Computer.. what are some things I could do to lower the temp?

PhotoJul22100118AM.jpg

PhotoJul22100122AM.jpg

I was thinking about removing the extra HDD Slots and putting another intake fan on the bottom..?

I have the 690 II Advanced and I'm assuming they're identical other than the side panel and painted drive covers.

Here's my advice; utilize the space behind the motherboard tray and route your wires through there. Your case is far too congested to get much airflow at all. Not only will this allow airflow to move properly, but it'll make your case look cleaner and you'll be able to admire it through your window. :thup:

Back