• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need good gaming headphones/headset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good call. Perhaps I'll go with the AD700... unfortunately, it's not sold by Amazon directly, which is my preferred way to shop (next to newegg). I have Amazon dollars that I have to spend by the end of the year which is why I really wanted to go with Amazon...

*EDIT*
FINALLY!!! Amazon has it in stock from amazon.com... just the past few days it was sold by someone else... oh boy... I may have to do it!!

Hey, coming from razers, sr60i will be very similar to sr80i. You'd be served equally well by both.

Get the V6 over V600. Better construction, and great sound.

Everyone loves AD700. Buying from beach camera who sells them will be just fine. I got my refurbed through them. Also newegg has them for 99.99, if you want a direct retailer. I'd buy from amazon for the 5$ of mp3's. It's a nice bonus to the already cheaper price.

Direct from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258744998&sr=8-1

6$ cheaper than the egg, and comes with 5$ in mp3 downloads. They have a good selection so it's worth it for this reason alone. :)

Hey, coming from razers, sr60i will be very similar to sr80i. You'd be served equally well by both.

Get the V6 over V600. Better construction, and great sound.

Everyone loves AD700. Buying from beach camera who sells them will be just fine. I got my refurbed through them. Also newegg has them for 99.99, if you want a direct retailer. I'd buy from amazon for the 5$ of mp3's. It's a nice bonus to the already cheaper price.

Direct from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258744998&sr=8-1

6$ cheaper than the egg, and comes with 5$ in mp3 downloads. They have a good selection so it's worth it for this reason alone. :)

Funny you mention this cuz I just paid for the AD700 @ amazon. :)

It seems like people have recommended this for gaming, which is my primary importance.

It was $93.77 at amazon, estimate arrival Tues the 25th with my 2-day amazon prime shipping.

Funny you mention this cuz I just paid for the AD700 @ amazon. :)

It seems like people have recommended this for gaming, which is my primary importance.

It was $93.77 at amazon, estimate arrival Tues the 25th with my 2-day amazon prime shipping.

Let me know what you think of it, G0dM@n. Lately I'm gaming with my SR325i. The sound is almost exactly with the big bagel pads as the ATH-AD700. But I can always put stock pads on and rock out. :)

I just ordered the AD700 phones and a X-FI xtreme gamer soundcard to go along with it. Cant wait to not be stabbed in the back on Modern Warfare 2 anymore! lol =)

Amazon seems to have a bit slower shipping than Newegg though.

I just ordered the AD700 phones and a X-FI xtreme gamer soundcard to go along with it. Cant wait to not be stabbed in the back on Modern Warfare 2 anymore! lol =)

Amazon seems to have a bit slower shipping than Newegg though.

I went with Amazon because I had amazon dollars to spend... that was the main reason.

Which X-Fi exactly did you purchase?

Just got my AD700's in and theyre AMAZING. The sound quality is like no other headphone ive ever put on. Theyre soooooo comfortable. I feel like im just wearing pillows on my ears. The headset is very big though. You'd have to have a head the size of Shrek to fill these things out! lol

I definitely recommend these headphones though.

Just got my AD700's in and theyre AMAZING. The sound quality is like no other headphone ive ever put on. Theyre soooooo comfortable. I feel like im just wearing pillows on my ears. The headset is very big though. You'd have to have a head the size of Shrek to fill these things out! lol

I definitely recommend these headphones though.

I'm glad you like them :)

Welcome to the club !

I'm glad you like them :)

Welcome to the club !

Next step: SR325i with G Cushions. Imagine the ATH-AD700 sound, but a bit more bass (just a bit) and perfectly smooth presentation. Perhaps a bit less headstage than the ath's... I still don't particuarly feel the headstage like some people, I just know grado's are bad at it while ath's are good at it, so I'm just quoting others on that part.

My headphones are supposed to come in today. With my luck, I'll be gone for the week before they come in... :(

Next step: SR325i with G Cushions. Imagine the ATH-AD700 sound, but a bit more bass (just a bit) and perfectly smooth presentation. Perhaps a bit less headstage than the ath's... I still don't particuarly feel the headstage like some people, I just know grado's are bad at it while ath's are good at it, so I'm just quoting others on that part.

G Cushions ?

I think my next step is either going to be HD 650's or Heaphile modded SR225s that I heard at a head-fi meet.

Yeah Aynjell made up his own name for the various Grado pads apparently. I've yelled at him for it on head-fi but he seems to still use the terms when no one else does, ever. :p

Yeah Aynjell made up his own name for the various Grado pads apparently. I've yelled at him for it on head-fi but he seems to still use the terms when no one else does, ever. :p

LOL... well, at least he's persistent!!!

They're the OFFICIAL names of the product. :clap:

http://www.jazzloft.com/p-49436-grado-replacement-cushions-g.aspx

See specifically:

i-Cushion iGrado
S-Cushion (small) SR60i, SR80i, SR125i, SR60 "Comfies"
L-Cushion (large) SR225i, SR325i, RS2i, RS1i, SR80, SR125, RS2, RS1 "Bowls"
G-Cushion (G-series) GS1000i, PS1000, GS1000 "Bagels"

Keep in mind this is what ships stock, it is not a compatibility list. You can swap all pads freely. G cush fits perfectly on all grado headphones. When I ordered my headphones, they used these names also, at a local store (near my home). It's the official internal names.

I don't use the head-fi names for stuff, I use the real names, unless I feel it applies particularly well. Personally, Bagels just sounds stupid.

Last edited:
Most of this I posted at head-fi... but still wanted to post here:

UPS just dropped off the headphones... I ripped the UPS box open so fast... like a teenage boy about to get laid for the 1st time. :)

I popped in the headphones into the front headphone port on my x-fi fatality front panel... and my God I've never witnessed audio quality ever before. You guys really are putting a future dent in my pocket... I'll never forget when I first got into overclocking... heck, even yrs after overclocking I was at one point spending about a grand a month for a few months.

Anyway, now I don't have much money, but I'm going to put these to great use!!

I could actually hear the crescendo!!!

One thing I don't know how to do is use the EQ, Bass EQ, CMSS, EAX, etc... want to tweak a setting for gaming and one for music.

Most of this I posted at head-fi... but still wanted to post here:

One thing I don't know how to do is use the EQ, Bass EQ, CMSS, EAX, etc... want to tweak a setting for gaming and one for music.

Disable all of it for music, for games, utilize CMSS-3D and EAX.

G Cushions ?

I think my next step is either going to be HD 650's or Heaphile modded SR225s that I heard at a head-fi meet.
Go with HD600 instead of HD650. A bit brighter, more balanced. The 650s are darker a bit heavier sound. I've heard both back to back on my rig and I stuck with my HD600s.

I have no opinion on the Grados. I can't stand the fit so I don't even listen to them :eek:

Btw, godman, if it's not to inconvenient try the plug directly on the card. You might get even better quality from that. Breakout boxes like your front panel tend to have exceedingly cheap parts in them which could affect your sound.

Btw, godman, if it's not to inconvenient try the plug directly on the card. You might get even better quality from that. Breakout boxes like your front panel tend to have exceedingly cheap parts in them which could affect your sound.

I have the Z5500 system too... I'm wondering if I should hook up the 3 separate analog outputs of the card to the Z5500 pod (front, rear, center/sub) and then just use that Z5500 pod headphone output for my headphones...

Tough decision... but I want something simple that uses both the headphones and my audio surround system... I gotta be honest, the Z5500 system is REALLY SWEET... I've had it for a few yrs and man it really was worth every penny.

As much as you love your Z5500 I am 100% sure it will sound better directly from your card than it will from your Z5500s pod. I had to guess with your break out box since I don't know what quality it is, but computer speaker pods are absolute junk.

On another topic... I used to have a fairly elaborate desktop speaker setup (basically a full-on HT setup). I bought my headphone gear and used both for a while. My computer speaker stuff is now sitting in a closet collecting dust.

There is no comparison between headphones and speakers for computer use. Speakers don't have the space to present their sound well enough, especially lower frequencies. It might come as a surprise to you, but I guarantee you the first time you hear your computer's subwoofer, it is a reflection from a wall, not from the speaker itself. The reason for this is the length of a soundwave at that frequency is several feet long. People often complain of boomy computer subs and while the quality of the subs is usually part of the problem, the other part is there isn't enough space between you and the sub for the sound to develop.

Perhaps after a while you might begin to feel this and move away from using any speakers at all with your computer.

Back