• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help\advice with Q6600 B3 revision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

duffman69

Registered
OK, been doing a bit of reading, read the tutorials and guides and such. I have the old revision B3 of the Q6600, at standard clock speed, and with the standard fan. It has been on since this morning, but has been idle for a couple of hours at least. Booted up speed fan and reported the cores were idle at roughly 60 degrees each! Tried core temp as well and that reported the same temps.

Also, coretemp/cpu-z were both reporting the cpu to be running at 6x (1.6ghz) - i understand this is due to power saving methods etc, which I will disable in due time. However I ran prime95 for about 5 minutes, and it still stayed at 6x. Any reason why?

I only ran prime95 for about 5-10 minutes however, as when 100% load on all cores, core temp was reporting 85 degrees and rising, so i stopped it! Should it be this high? As far as I know the fan is running at 100%, I also have case fans (Antec 900 case) running on full as well. It is in a small room, but there is no heating on, and the tower is quite well ventilated.

Any ideas? I was considering starting to dabble in some mild OC'ing of it in anticipation of playing GTA IV, but with these temps I do not think it would be wise!

At the moment I cannot really afford to purchase a new heatsink/cpu fan, or afford the time to install it. Am I stuck at 2.4ghz for the time?

Try to reseat the cpu fan and apply some Artic Silver. That might help.
Those stock fans that come with the Q6600 are....crap in my opinion but it should not run that high on 100% fan output.

OK, bit more confused! Turned my pc on from cold, went straight into BIOS and it was reading the CPU temp at 15 degrees. For some reason the multiplier was still set to 6x, so I changed it to 9x as it should be for 2.4ghz. Booted up windows, straight away i opened coretemp, and it was reading my cpu temps at approx 50 degrees for each core!

Is that even possible for the temp to jump up so quickly in 1-2 mins? Is it possible the programs (core temp / speed fan) are reading the temp wrong?

I don't think the temp programs are wrong. Definitely check your heatsink to make sure it's mounted properly. The stock cooler can be kind of tricky to get fully on with that stupid pin design. Like galador said, grab some AS5 and do a remount. Even though the stock heatsink isnt that great, it should be working better than that.

Your average temps while running Prime95 should be around 50C- 60C under stress but should idle at appx 30C to 35C while using that stock heatsink/fan.
You said you have plenty airflow with those case fans so room temp will also be a factor.
B3 stepping seem to run a tad warmer than the G0 stepping but definately not in the range of your results.

Last edited:
OK, bit more confused! Turned my pc on from cold, went straight into BIOS and it was reading the CPU temp at 15 degrees. For some reason the multiplier was still set to 6x, so I changed it to 9x as it should be for 2.4ghz. Booted up windows, straight away i opened coretemp, and it was reading my cpu temps at approx 50 degrees for each core!

Is that even possible for the temp to jump up so quickly in 1-2 mins? Is it possible the programs (core temp / speed fan) are reading the temp wrong?

If your heatsink isn't mounted correctly I would say yes on the quick rise in temps. Processors generate alot of heat very quickly, especially 4 cores.
Those heatsink/fans remove alot of heat from the cpu and GPU's.
Back in the P4 Prescott days there was a reference where somebody compared a processor to a nuclear power plant.....LOL.

Last edited:
Back