• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help building $1250 Photo Editing System.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys, I am working on building a Photo Editing system and would like your help and advice if possible. Need the following;

Monitor 23" LED/IPS or bigger. Would be nice if 2x 23inch monitor was possible.
CPU: AMD APU or FX series which ever works best.
MOBO:
RAM: Needs to be at least 32GB DDR3
VIDEO:
SSD: 240GB if possible
HDD: 1TB if there is room.
DVDRW:
PC Case:

The two build from newegg and amazon are pdf files. let me know what you guys think. Thanks In Advance!

Attachments

• FX System Build 003.pdf
    292 KB · Views: 33
  • FX System Build 002.5 Amazon Prime.pdf
    633.5 KB · Views: 82
what camera are you using? I edit 12MP shots on a Ath2 270 system (stock-ish)

EDIT: what software are you using? is it gpgpu capable?

32GB of memory for that system is SERIOUS overkill unless you plan on running a 24GB ram drive.

Camera will be upgrade to an 18Mega Pixel, the programs running on this system will be Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC. Maybe in the future Premier CC.

I am not familiar with photoshops AMD support so the 4770K base would be my immediate recommendation. I like AMD but they have not been helping themselves in this regard.

Stock 4770K will be a good starting point, and get a decent board that will allow you to overclock in a couple of years when/if you find it necessary.

Mid range ASUS motherboard will give you reliability and BIOS controls that the OEM ASUS PC you listed most likely will not.

For the GPU, 760 is good, but if you need to save money somewhere that is where to do it. GPU performance offers diminishing returns much like faster RAM.

AMD discrete cards are not fully supported in the Master Suite the last I saw. So although the following review shows a 7750 performing almost the same as a 650, I am not sure which tests they ran in their benchmark.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-161/

that website also shows that once you have enough memory, channels and speed make no difference. The file sizes you are going to work with tend to determeine how much RAM you need.

32GB of RAM is recommended for images that are 1GB in size!!!
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-Memory-Optimization-182/page4

With an 18 MP camera you are looking at RAW images of 25-30MB a piece. so even 8GB of mmeory should be plenty. However might as well start with 16GB, in which case you can probably make a ram drive for a scratch file.

Check out the rest of puget systems PC articles lots of good Adobe performance articles.

If you want to stick with AMD get the fastest FX CPU they have, and get a better than stock cooler. and AIO Liquid cooler tends to work well but will add a bit more cost than an effective tower cooler. The GPU and memory recommendations I made above still hold true.

If you are doing a LOT of editing. Then look into a PC case that has a couple of 120mm or 140mm side panel fans. I do not recommend the 200mm side panel fans as there are not as many options for replacing or upgrading them when necessary. the side panel fans put cool external air directly on to the motherboard and CPU cooler intake to help lower CPU temps a few degrees.

EDIT: I tend to NOT look over lists in detail as I make my purchase decisions based on the best performance:price at the moment I buy, not tomorrow or next week. So a piece for piece build list tends not to work for me. Get a general idea of what you need and then go shopping :)

i went 100$ over budget but i`d be confortable using the system8320 or 4770k

Not bad. Couple exceptions.

Cooler chosen. Not necessary for 4770K. Ivy B is small die size. The heat it generates is because of its small die size not because of high wattage $60 for a cooler in not worth investment over stock. As much as I do not recommend it the 212+ in proper orientation is better in this case. (for octacore AMD though spot on)

In both cases GPU choice is wrong. 760 GTx is better choice, in stock and saves $10. Or save even more and get a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500297 650 GTX sacrifice a few percentage points of performance Photoshop wise and save almost $200 bucks. (if gaming then stay with 760)

Memory speed is unimportant although that is a good deal on 1866, might not find a better deal at 1600. (on quick newegg search... no).

Case: Cut that case up and put some yateloons in the side for $5 a fan. otherwise get a case with side panel fans. rendering is a long process if doing multiple photos and will take time. Aluminum cases with side panel fans will be a boon.

I would go with an 8320, but with Adobe you'll want to stick to an nVidia GPU.

he already has an 8150 what kind of performance could he expect as an increase?

Actually about 10% across the board. The 8350 uses a different architecture than the 8150 does.
If he goes Intel, he's looking at $500 for CPU/mobo. This way, he can keep his motherboard and just drop in the new CPU.

Back