• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help building this PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Carmelo12341

Registered
These are the specs of the PC I plan to build
CPU: AMD FX 9590
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooh 990FX R2.0
Video Card:Gigabyte R9 280 OC 3GB
Memory: 16GB Kingstone(2x8)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Power Supply: Cooler Master GX 750W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX
Storage: 1TB HDD Western Digital Caviar Blue
Case: Overseer RX-I Full Tower
ODD: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer
I have some doubts about this build:
-Can the Case handle the size of the Video Card?
-Can the Power Supply handle all the parts?
-Is the CPU Cooler enough for the CPU?
-Will I have any problem with the CPU and the Motherboard?
Well, thats all. If there is any problem(especially with the power supply), What should I change to make this build possible?

Last edited:
1 - Don't know
2 - Yes
3 - Nope, you need a top end air cooler with very high CFM fans or a custom water loop
4 - no, they are a perfect match.

A few questions:
1 - What the purpose of this rig?
2 - Why a R9 290 and not a GTX 970?
3 - Why not a 4690k/4790k setup?

1: App Developing Gaming PC and
2: The video card isn't a R9 290, It is a R9 280(sorry for that mistake), and why do you recommend me that video card? Is it a big difference with the cost?
3: I don't understand that. Can you explain me what did you mean with 4690k/4790k setup

I will use Air Cooling
Which Top end air cooler do you recommend me?

Last edited:
1 - Never heard of the case.
2 - I would look at a better quality unit such as an EVGA SuperNova G2, but the wattage is plenty.
3 - Not even close.
4 - As long as you can keep them cool, no.

That said, what's your intended usage? Gaming?
Edit: You just answered that. Go Intel.

Get a 4690K, Z97 Extreme6, this RAM, and a GTX 970.
Change the PSU to a Seasonic G-550, and look for a better case. That thing looks like it'll choke airflow.

This AMD setup will cost you more than an Intel setup when you take into consideration extra mobo/cooling/psu cost.

A 4690k with a $100 z97 mother board, a 500W quality PSU and the stock cooler will game better than what you plan on building and cost less...

1: A gaming PC
2: The cost
3: No money :(
When you add it all together the cost of the Intel isn't that much more, taking into account the amount of cooling you're going to need to run the Fx 9590.

What screen resolution do you plan on playing at?
If it's for gaming get a I5 4690k/GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H/Coolermaster Evo, setup. It will cost you less and you also will not need a 750w Psu to run it. Here's a really good price for a really good Psu.

When you add it all together the cost of the Intel isn't that much more, taking into account the amount of cooling you're going to need to run the Fx 9590.

What screen resolution do you plan on playing at?
If it's for gaming get a I5 4690k/GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H/Coolermaster Evo, setup. It will cost you less and you also will not need a 750w Psu to run it.

There is not even a need for an aftermarket cooler with the Intel setup: stock will do the job.
A 500W PSU costs around $40 VS $80 for a 750W.
And I don't think a 9590 is much cheaper than a 4690k

Edit: actually it costs more!

Last edited:
Ok. Thank for all of you for answering my question.
But, I think I just made a big mess in this thread.

First of all: The video card is a Gigabyte R9 280 OC 3GB, NOT A R9 290
Then: Money isn't a problem, by saying this I don't mean I am a rich guy that can buy anything. I made a big
mistake by answering before I could see the mistake made in the question. Excuse me for that. I want to stay with AMD, I like the speed
it gives, common, It is a 4.7Ghz CPU. That is the reason I chose it. I wasn't sure what kind of cooling system I should use(since the CPU doesn't come with
a stock fan), I view some bad reviews about liquid cooling system in amazon, most of all were about the leak of the liquid. So I decided to use a fan system.
Most of you told me to use another fan, I was wondering which brand or specific model I should buy.
That is all folks. If you could answer that I would be grateful.

The 4690k costs $219 vs $249 for the FX9590.

No need for a stout motherboard, overkill cooling or 750W psu either.

The Intel setup would cost you something like $150 less than the AMD one and perform better.
You could put this money in a better GPU like nVidia GTX970 ($350) and have a rig that would max out EVERY GAME on max setting@1080p and most @1440p.

Edit: you could even add a 120GB SSD for your OS/games on top of the 570 with the money left

Last edited:
The 4690k costs $219 vs $249 for the FX9590.

No need for a stout motherboard, overkill cooling or 750W psu either.

The Intel setup would cost you something like $150 less than the AMD one and perform better.
You could put this money in a better GPU like nVidia GTX970 ($350) and have a rig that would max out EVERY GAME on max setting@1080p and most @1440p.
Which build would you recommend me? I have like $1300 including the monitor.
But talking about costs... In amazon.com the FX 9590 is cheaper than the i7 4690k.
It looks strange for me.

Which build would you recommend me? I have like $1300 including the monitor.
But talking about costs... In amazon.com the FX 9590 is cheaper than the i7 4690k.
It looks strange for me.

4690K + ASUS Z97-A + Hyper 212 is a hell of a lot cheaper than 9590+ Sabretooth/Crosshair V+ Corsair H110, which is the only sane setup for a 9590. You're looking at $230+ $140+ $30 vs $250 +$200+ $130.

4 intel cores murder 8 AMD cores for gaming. If you want a CPU that drinks power like it's coca cola and runs stupid hot and heats up your room and requires ridiculous high end motherboards and cooling all for the sake of saying you have a 5Ghz CPU, go AMD. If you want that same performance, for less money, less power consumption, and a rig that won't turn your bedroom into a toaster oven go Intel.

The 4 cylinder Subaru Impreza WRX STi will outperform many 6 cylinder engines. Just looking at MHz/GHz is like just looking at how many liters and how many cylinders an engine has without looking at torque and horsepower. It's ridiculous, and hasn't been applicable since over 10 years ago.

Manu2B's post just up the page had a very good build in it. Build that, add a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler. Honestly I don't like Manu's case choice but that's up to personal preference. I think the much cheaper Corsair 200R and 300R are just as good and have great airflow.

You can add a couple of bucks to the project and get LED fans and LED strips to light up your machine and pimp it out if you want.

I'd get either the Asus Z97-A or the Asrock Extreme 4 instead of the Z97-Pro, change the PSU to a Corsair CX600M, the CPU to a 4790K, the RAM to the GSkill Ripjaw X 2133 2x8GB and grab the cheapest 120GB SSD you can find.

You should end in the same budget +/- $20.

Back