• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help building!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uthvag

Hello,

I am new to building a computer so i really need some help

I want it to last for the next 6 years (i donot care if i play games at low settings at the end of this period)

My budget is around 1300$

the preferred build is

Processor

I prefer i7 4820k but as it requires a costly motherboard i opted for 17 4770k

GPU

GTX 770 2\4 GB or r9 280x 3GB

Mother board

anything with LGA1150 will work i think

RAM

16 GB

The main problem here is i don't know which PSU MB or GPU to buy

i cant decide between the r9 280x or gtx 770 4gb

I live in India so everything is a bit costlier here

So i plan on getting some parts like the gpu from the US but i worry about the warranty

GTX 770 4gb -300-400$(18-24k inr) India- 35000INR
r9 280x 3gb - 22000 INR(India)

Please help me select a good psu from one of these

http://http://www.flipkart.com/computers/computer-components/power-supply-units/pr?q=psu&as=on&as-show=on&otracker=start&sid=6bo%2Cg0i%2Cqbk&as-pos=1_1_ic

Please help me select the best mother board

http://www.flipkart.com/search?q=lga+1150&as=off&as-show=on&otracker=start

Also next year i will be in college and u might end up in a hostel so i dont know if i should get a gaming laptop but I heard that its life us very low and it is also really costly

so can someone give me an idea if the lifespan of those cards?
my old 9500Gt still works whenever i use it (bought it 5yrs back), Are the components worth being imported ?

Thanks

The Corsair VS550 will be plenty assuming you are not planning on adding another card down the road...

As far as motherboards, do you plan on overclocking? I would plan it, especially if you are keeping the PC for 6 years...

I would not want to be playing games on a GPU that came out 6 years ago though... wow. You will really want to upgrade midway through that 6 year cycle...

The Corsair VS550 will be plenty assuming you are not planning on adding another card down the road...

As far as motherboards, do you plan on overclocking? I would plan it, especially if you are keeping the PC for 6 years...

I would not want to be playing games on a GPU that came out 6 years ago though... wow. You will really want to upgrade midway through that 6 year cycle...

well mostly i wont overclock but if it is really needed i will.

i can manage with low settings so after six years my only hope is that the games will be compatible

Foes nvidia or intel have any plan on releasing new products??

Both Nvidia and Intel will have new GPUs and CPUs in the next couple/few months.

Good luck playing games on low with a 6 year old card. I couldn't imagine trying to play today's games on a 8800GT today...not to mention you will be losing out on different features with new API releases (for example, that 8800gt is only DX10, we have been on DX11 for a while now).

And
Can a 550W PSU(85%eff) support a 600W GPU?

Its not a 600W GPU. The 770 and 280x are in the 250W range alone. That is a recommendation for the entire SYSTEM. And it is always overestimated because of the crappy PSUs that are on the market.

That system will not draw more than 400-425W with both the CPU and GPU running 100% (which does not happen in a gaming situation). I think I pulled 350W at the wall with a 280x...

Last edited:
Its not a 600W GPU. The 770 and 280x are in the 250W range alone. That is a recommendation for the entire SYSTEM. And it is always overestimated because of the crappy PSUs that are on the market.

That system will not draw more than 400-425W with both the CPU and GPU running 100% (which does not happen in a gaming situation). I think I pulled 350W at the wall with a 290x...

Thanks!!

PS-i have played with my 9500GT till 2012 LOL

sorry to ask but are u REALLY SURE that a 550W can run it because i dont want to fry my GPU

do you know anything about the lifespan?

my old dual core core2duo and i5 are still working and so are my 9500 9400 GT

Can u expect that kind of lifespan?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions:-/

the life span all depends on how low youre willing to let those graphics on the games go. if youre serious about not getting a new computer for 6 years my suggestion would be to wait for the 800 series from nvidia. the 880m came out so it cant be that long for the dsesktop versions to come out. the cpu you will definitely not needa crazy cpu so for six years a 4770k with some overclocking down the road will definiinitely do you good. my suggestion would be to go for an msi or a maximus based board. they are definitely gaming oriented and i perrsonally have overclocked on a maximus board very simple. imo get a 600 watt psu just so you wont have to change that in the future as well. it should handle a bit of overclocking on both the card anmd the cpu.
sorry for the post hop

if i get 770 4gb and r9 280x at the same price which one should i opt for?

It's a pick em between those two at the same price as they perform similarly.

Note: any board you can game on. Msi has a gaming line for example but not their.entire line. As far as 'maximus' goes, don't get that. It's made for extreme overclocking so there are a lot of features you pay for you won't be using. Any $150 z87 board will be fine for.your uses.

Again a quality 550w psu is plenty for any single gpu and overclocking on both cpu and gpu. Unless you want multiple gpus 550w is plenty.

Back