• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing a CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Segger1996

Hey guys im going to be building a computer for gaming and video/photo editing and rendering videos for my youtube channel =]

the CPU's that i am looking at are
AMD Phenom ii x6 1045t - http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom II X6 1045T - HDT45TWFK6DGR.html,
AMD Piledriver FX-6300 - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-338-AM

the two compared - http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/324/AMD_FX-Series_FX-6300_vs_AMD_Phenom_II_X6_1045T.html

the rest of the system items will be:

Motherboard - Gigabyte SKT-AM3+ 970A-D3 Motherboard (Rev 1.0)
PSU - 750W PSU
Ram - Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600​C10 Vengenace 16GB 1600MHz CL10 DDR3 Memory Two Module Kit
Case - CiT Vantage Black Gaming PC Case
Graphics card -Asus AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card (1GB, PCI-Express, GDDR5, Dust-proof Fan)
HDD - A old 500gb 2.5" laptop HDD for now
Therm paste - Arctic Silver 5 3.5g Thermal Paste

im not sure what one to choose as people on the internet seem to be **** AMD intels better just get that...
please just help me decide between the two or suggest a better AMD(AM3+) cpu
And will this be able to run games like dayz at a good frame rate high settings and record?
Thanks segger

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

You will want a reputable PSU, and 750W is much more than you need. 500-650W would be more than enough from a quality PSU. Wattage is far less important than a well reviewed unit. Quality here will extend the life of all your components.

The corsair vengeance ram you could probably go cheaper on if you wanted to save a little money.

The motherboard isn't a great overclocking board, but would suffice for stock or a mild OC.

Probably easier to find a Phenom II used for pretty cheap if you want to save money, otherwise the 6300 is probably the better choice for you.

I would go with the 6300 and find some 1866 ram if the board will support it.
and a 955 or 965 (same cpu) would be a good choice.
but as Rgone has found out more cores and fast ram work well with video rendering.

:welcome: to OCF!

You will want a reputable PSU, and 750W is much more than you need. 500-650W would be more than enough from a quality PSU. Wattage is far less important than a well reviewed unit. Quality here will extend the life of all your components.

The corsair vengeance ram you could probably go cheaper on if you wanted to save a little money.

The motherboard isn't a great overclocking board, but would suffice for stock or a mild OC.

Probably easier to find a Phenom II used for pretty cheap if you want to save money, otherwise the 6300 is probably the better choice for you.

Hey thanks =]

The psu comes with the case so im just getting at like that and the ram is only £69 so its not to bad of a deal tbh... but im not overclocking the cpu anyway and the CPU's are the same price on amazon basically haha

If you must get the GA970A-D3 mobo try and get a Rev 3 one. The Rev 3 one has heatsinks on the VRMs and will support a 125 watt FX cpu. Yes the UEFI bios is a pain in the arse but still is a better choice than a Rev 1 board.

Last edited:
No. Safer in their box.

Point is that technology changes so fast that you want to see what us out when you pull it all together.

+1 knufire and earthdog.
case and psu options will change little if any.
motherboards and processors are subject to change very quickly.
Rgone bought his chv-f 2 days before the release of the chv-f-z and says derned it.... pulled the trigger to early.

Hey thanks =]

The psu comes with the case so im just getting at like that and the ram is only £69 so its not to bad of a deal tbh... but im not overclocking the cpu anyway and the CPU's are the same price on amazon basically haha
PSU coming with case? I bet its damn crap quality, I wont use that PSU.

Nice catch! ^^

And unless it is a name brand PSU, I wouldnt use the PSU that came with a case either.

Back