• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help, inherited a gaming PC. Fans too loud under load.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
More likely that it was clogged than the airflow direction being your problem.

Yes, you have the fans in the right direction :)

Yes the one visible is correct. with the air blowing out of the back of the case. Assuming the one sandwiched between the case and rad is also blowing out of the case then yes.

PSU- Ok I see it now. I'm not used to seeing fans on the cable side. You should be fine there.

Awesome, thanks guys! This forum is so helpful, why cannot all forums be this way. :)

Last edited:
That AIO/Liquid Cooler/Radiator is a Corsair H80.

Yeah, the stock fans (which is what you appear to have there) are loud as all hell at full speed. They hit 2500RPM maxed out, at like 50dB (or something like that).

Take a look at these for radiator fans, my suggestion at the moment.

Don't know what your budget is for fan replacements, since your current ones are louder than you want.

Kind of curious what the power supply is, with it being so small and with the fan mounted on the back I'm guessing it is a low-end model and might need replacement.

Last edited:
attachment.php

I'm OCD too and I couldn't live with that. Especially that mess of MOLEX right above the CPU block. Eek.

Your problem has a simple solution. Replace the fans with quiet fans. Problem solved. OR, if you don't want to buy a bunch of fans, buy a quality fan controller and pop it in an optical bay. Run all the fans to it, and control their RPM through it.

One thing you should do though- find a comfortable fan speed for your ears, then run a stress test program for your CPU. There are lots out there. Keep it at 100% load for a few minutes and monitor the temps of the cpu. If it stays reasonably cool, you're good to go, because gaming will never keep your CPU at a sustained 100% load for a long time like that.

Go on Newegg and look at fan controllers. I count 7 fans (probably) on that case so make sure the fan controller can handle at least 7.

If you like Skyrim you may also really enjoy Fallout 3 and New Vegas. They're pretty cheap on Steam these days and both offer you dozens and dozens of hours of open world exploration. Fallout has a distinctive sense of humor to contrast against Skyrim's deadpan straight faced RPG action. And you can freeze time and set your shots up. Neat stuff. Graphics are very poor by today's standards but that doesn't mean they're bad games. Another game you should check out (though you'll likely have to turn some settings down to get decent framerates at 1080P) is the new(ish) Tomb Raider game. It's just called "Tomb Raider". Very good game. It often goes on ridicu-cheap sale at Steam. I got it for $5 in late 2014.

Check out Greenmangaming also. They sell Steam keys (totally legal and legit) and are almost always at least 20% cheaper than Steam. Remember to check their front page to see if there is an additional voucher for that day (ie 25% off on all titles today with code FHEKD) and make sure to enter that code at checkout. The last game I bought there was regular $30 online and I got it for like $16.

Last edited:
attachment.php

I'm OCD too and I couldn't live with that. Especially that mess of MOLEX right above the CPU block. Eek.

Your problem has a simple solution. Replace the fans with quiet fans. Problem solved. OR, if you don't want to buy a bunch of fans, buy a quality fan controller and pop it in an optical bay. Run all the fans to it, and control their RPM through it.

One thing you should do though- find a comfortable fan speed for your ears, then run a stress test program for your CPU. There are lots out there. Keep it at 100% load for a few minutes and monitor the temps of the cpu. If it stays reasonably cool, you're good to go, because gaming will never keep your CPU at a sustained 100% load for a long time like that.

Go on Newegg and look at fan controllers. I count 7 fans (probably) on that case so make sure the fan controller can handle at least 7.

If you like Skyrim you may also really enjoy Fallout 3 and New Vegas. They're pretty cheap on Steam these days and both offer you dozens and dozens of hours of open world exploration. Fallout has a distinctive sense of humor to contrast against Skyrim's deadpan straight faced RPG action. And you can freeze time and set your shots up. Neat stuff. Graphics are very poor by today's standards but that doesn't mean they're bad games. Another game you should check out (though you'll likely have to turn some settings down to get decent framerates at 1080P) is the new(ish) Tomb Raider game. It's just called "Tomb Raider". Very good game.

Updated look is here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...d-under-load?p=7789107&viewfull=1#post7789107

760T-07b.jpg

Use your cable holes! Run everything from the PSU behind the motherboard, then run the cables behind the motherboard tray, and back out to the front via the cable hole nearest to the connector you need to access. Run your SATA cables behind the mobo tray via the cable hole to the right of the SATA ports, then move them out to your drives via the blank space behind the drive cage.

Having cleaner cabling and a minimal amount of cable mess in the "main chamber" of your case improves air flow and improves component temperatures. It's worth doing.

760T-07b.jpg

Use your cable holes! Run everything from the PSU behind the motherboard, then run the cables behind the motherboard tray, and back out to the front via the cable hole nearest to the connector you need to access. Run your SATA cables behind the mobo tray via the cable hole to the right of the SATA ports, then move them out to your drives via the blank space behind the drive cage.

Having cleaner cabling and a minimal amount of cable mess in the "main chamber" of your case improves air flow and improves component temperatures. It's worth doing.

He said he tried using the case holes, but that their location and the cable lengths wouldn't allow him to put everything back there.....

Thanks for the extra ideas with the fans and the model # of the radiator. :) I will definitely looking in to getting new fans. Money is tight so it may be one of those things of getting them one by one.

Last edited:
Back