• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help, inherited a gaming PC. Fans too loud under load.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
JCE, my OCD is screaming right now. those cables! LMAO

OK seriously now, looking at the review of the case it looks like there isn't a vent under your PSU area and I don't see a fan on the PSU(Upside down). Looks to me like the PSU should be mounted with it's fan on top (right side up if you will). This will do nothing for your noise issues, but it will help with air flow again. Not to mention sedate my OCD. :D

I've attached the before picture of the inside of the case, sorry about the lighting it wasn't very bright in that room.

I dusted half of the case fans and the graphics cards' fans so I know at least that chore was done. :D When I had the case open and started Skyrim easily 75% of the noise wasn't coming from the graphics cards but from the 2 fans that are attached to the radiator. The graphics cards actually are pretty quiet, much more quiet than my old 460 or 650. LOL

My 560's stay cool and aren't very noisy. :)

That's not cable management, it's mangle-ment. And why is there a random USB plug tied to the drive bays? It looks like a spider did those cables! :rofl:

JCE, my OCD is screaming right now. those cables! LMAO

OK seriously now, looking at the review of the case it looks like there isn't a vent under your PSU area and I don't see a fan on the PSU(Upside down). Looks to me like the PSU should be mounted with it's fan on top (right side up if you will). This will do nothing for your noise issues, but it will help with air flow again. Not to mention sedate my OCD. :D

Yes, yes, those cables I know! :(

So I understand what you're saying, when I take it apart I'll make that adjustment. Hell, it will be good anyway because I have no earthly clue what the PSU even is... I got no information when I received it so I'm having do some investigative work on each component. lol

I also temporarily moved the fan that is attached to the window on the side.

That's not cable management, it's mangle-ment. And why is there a random USB plug tied to the drive bays? It looks like a spider did those cables! :rofl:

This is an improvement on how it came to me actually. :( The USB plug is for the USB 3.0 slot at the top front of the case, I put it there to get it out of the way while I dealt with the fans and etc because it was routed behind the CPU and under the video cards then through the back and connected to the external USB panel on the back. Ugh.

Only good nature'd ribbing, didn't mean to offend.

Did you end up switching the fans? Did it help?

No I didn't switch them yet, I work weekends so I don't have the available time to work on my home projects. But, I am getting 3 days off starting Monday so I will hopefully have an answer to that question. :)

*edit*
And yes, I'm at work right now.

Quick question, which direction should these fans face? Sticker out or sticker in? These are on the radiator.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 57
Awesome, done.

So I've come to the conclusion that this case + mobo + power supply SUCKS together. The cable management was about 4hrs of hell. It's better but just too ugly to show the public. The good news is there was a huge clump of dust/hair coating the radiator from the fans in the wrong direction. Got everything back together and cleaned then fired up Skyrim and the fans are noticeably quieter now. CPU temp under full load was only 38~40C. I still want quieter fans! But I got this for free so I'm happy. LOL Thanks to everyone for the help it is greatly appreciated. Feel free to post more advice or thoughts. :)

A nice case such as the fractal design r4 or r5 will help with sound. They along with some others like my nzxt h440 have some sound deadening material that help with noise. And yes good proper cable management will take awhile. Now you see why I do more each time I clean it.

Awesome job JCE. I'm glad you got everything worked out. If the noise gets to much for you to handle we can alway's suggest some quieter fans like the Noiseblocker eLoop or Gentle Typhoon AP-53's.

:thup:

A nice case such as the fractal design r4 or r5 will help with sound. They along with some others like my nzxt h440 have some sound deadening material that help with noise. And yes good proper cable management will take awhile. Now you see why I do more each time I clean it.

I would agree a new case would be great especially since this one is so large. I do have a Coolermaster case from 2010 that is quite a bit better but my old gaming machine is in it and I've given it to my wife to use. The cable management would probably be better with AT LEAST a better more modular power supply. My power supply in here either has cables too long or too short. :)

Awesome job JCE. I'm glad you got everything worked out. If the noise gets to much for you to handle we can alway's suggest some quieter fans like the Noiseblocker eLoop or Gentle Typhoon AP-53's.

:thup:

Thanks, it was hard work just to at least fix the fans issue and tidy up the inside of the case a bit. I'm just annoyed at not being able do more.

I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow or tuesday, but, don't shoot me because of how crummy the cabling still looks. That's the best I could do and trust me, my OCD is really taking a hit here. I will post a pic of what the radiator and fan looked like when I took them out...this is one reason why my allergies are going crazy today! LOL

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 54
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 56
So here is the aftermath... :( Go easy on me! The major problem is the cables are either too long or too short in combination with the holes in the case aren't very accommodating. LOL I haven't put the fan at the top back in yet, not sure if it's needed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
That looks a ton better already. Did you look into that PSU (Power Supply Unit) to see if it's upside down? Looks good.

That looks a ton better already. Did you look into that PSU (Power Supply Unit) to see if it's upside down? Looks good.

Thanks. :) I couldn't tell if the PSU was in wrong, the fan is actually on the side next to the cables so I wasn't sure if it was upside down or not. Though in years past I remember the label on PSUs being visible but I'm not sure if that matters. I'm half tempted to try and stuff these components in my older Coolermaster case... Maybe someday, I just don't feel like wasting my 4 hours just to undo it. Hah!

Looks a lot better, JCE.

Did noise levels come down any for you?

Looks a lot better, JCE.

Did noise levels come down any for you?

Thanks for the props. It is appreciated. And yes the noise levels were cut by more than half under load. I wonder if the CPU temp was high before since the fans were in the wrong direction and the radiator was clogged?

Can anyone verify if I have the fans in the right direction? I have the sticker side (and arrows) facing / going out of the case. I can snap a pic tomorrow if needed.

Back