• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help choosing cpu cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

novabean22

Registered
I want to over clock a little bit, but all of the all in one water cooling rads I look at most have some bad reviews saying that they have leaked.. is the any air coolers that are efficient enough for overclocking? I have an fx 8350, and sabertooth 990fx mobo. I want to bump up the processor to 5.0 ghz, is that even possible with an air cooler? opinions and suggestions please, thanks.

I do not know your case size and would have to guess, but if you can possible fit this cooler then it would do the job in hand.

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

It has the fittings for AMD and Intel and should fit!!

2, http://www.noctua.at/pdf/infosheets/noctua_nh_d14_datasheet_en.pdf

Here is the dimension sheet, the overall height above the Ram is about 160 mm, but double check first. Yes its big but it will keep things cool and you can add a third fan to increase the cooling as well.

AJ.

With that cooler he has a chance of at least a decent OC, better than some coolers!

AJ.

novabean there are few Air heatsinks/AIO H2O that will be able to push a Fx 8 series chip to 5.0 for a 24/7 overclock. For starters you would need a heck of a low leakage chip to get there, without all the heat. Most of the people that run these things near those speeds run full custom H2O loops and even with that running 5.0 for an everyday overclock is a tall task. Personally I only run mine at 4.7 with a custom loop and a 360 radiator "see signature". The reason I only run 4.7 is because the amount of voltage necessary to run 5.0 for a stable overclock and the heat generated is huge. To me it's just not worth it to run there, I can but choose not to. I have my chip stable up to 5.1 for 24/7 usage but again it's just not worth it to me to run there. If you're just looking to do it for benching purposes then you may be able to get away with a big all in one H2O setup, for short, light on the cpu, benches.

What kind of overclock would be suitable for one of those aio h2o 120mm rads that you put on the rear of the case?

Unless you want to go for a full custom water loop, get an NH-D14, PH-TC14PE, or a top-end AIO. (See Cooler Master's new series)

You'll definitely want at least a 2.120 or 2.140 if you go with custom water or an AIO.
What case is it going in?

Also, zero need for a memory cooler unless you're running DDR3-3000 or something ridiculous, which is near impossible on AM3+.

Wait you already have an 8350? In the other thread you created yesterday you were asking for advice on a build that you were planning to order.

I'm either going to get an fx8350 or fx6350 with tax returns, trying to do some research and put out feelers for certain stuff before I buy

I have an fx 8350, and sabertooth 990fx mobo.
Next time let us know your intentions, saying "I have something" and not having it is not good etiquette. We do this to help people not because we have to. Since, after going through your posts, you seem very undecided on what you want to put into your system. Maybe you should just start a thread giving a budget with your needs and wants and see what we can help you put together?

As stated in your other thread you really don't need a 8350 for gaming, a 6350 will be more than adequate. In addition the Intel's that were recommended are generally better for gaming as well.

As far as a cooler goes. It's very rare to hit 5.0Ghz on air. In fact I don't know of anyone who runs 5.0 on air for 24/7 gaming. I will second Atmins suggestion of going custom water if your serious about getting to 5.0. If you're just looking to get a great stable gaming clock than there is nothing wrong with 4.7Ghz which is more like a real world goal on air. Again see Atminsides suggestions, those coolers he listed are tried and true.

I definitely want a stable gaming clock, I'm sure the stock 4.0 or 3.9ghz would be fine but I would like to squeeze a little more out of it, who wouldn't? Lol

That phantecs one is too tall, my height limit is 160mm, I'm using a thermaltake a31 case

Back