• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help deciding on an AMD CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vicious Bebop

Hello,

I'm doing a build for the first time and need some advice.

I've decided to go with AMD for the cpu because I'm told that it's not worth the extra money for an Intel (even though I would pay around $300 if it meant getting something quality) and with no real knowledge of it, I'm wondering which one of them would be the best to go with.

I'm not a huge gamer but I'd like the capability to play the likes of Skyrim and whatever else may come out like that the future. I'm in school for programming so that's mainly what I'll be doing with this build.

Help?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

This will significantly outperform any AMD currently on the market and it is within your price range. Arguably, AMD offers better price to performance ratio but when you're talking $300 you can do much better than what AMD has to offer right now.

If you will be overclocking you will need to choose a motherboard that has good capabilities in that regard. Since I'm not an Intel guy I don't have recommendations for a motherboard but I understand the good overclocking ones are more expensive than the AMD equivalent which is another issue you need to consider. Also, if you will be overclocking either an AMD or an Intel you will want not to go cheap on a case and a CPU cooler. Good case ventilation/roominess and a good cooler is essential when overclocking.

If you still want to go with AMD, buy the FX-8150 for about half the price of the Intel above and a motherboard with a 990FX chipset.

I agree with trents, but it depends on what you need it for, if you actually need a CPU with a lot of power than a $300 Intel i7 is right for it.

If your computing is just general and a bit of average gaming then $300 on a CPU is total overkill and your not going to benefit from it.

Not sure but I think graphic's design can be pretty demanding depending on what exactly you are doing and what you mean by "graphics design". It's kind of an umbrella term.

Graphics within Web Design is mostly light photo shop or some such program like fire works. Depends on the website of course. Graphics was never my strong suite int he business.

Last edited:
Man bassnut, your spelling is getting almost as bad as mine.

yes ...:shock:. well the couple wobbly pops :beer: I have had might have a bit to do with it. Freakkin humidity is killing me tonight, even down here in the basment. Been cleaning since I got home from work as I have a house showing tomorrow afternoon.

yes ...:shock:. well the couple wobbly pops :beer: I have had might have a bit to do with it. Freakkin humidity is killing me tonight, even down here in the basment. Been cleaning since I got home from work as I have a house showing tomorrow afternoon.

Hoping the home sale does not become wobbly man, but goes straight to closing. Luck and be well man. RGone...ster.

I agree with trents, but it depends on what you need it for, if you actually need a CPU with a lot of power than a $300 Intel i7 is right for it.

If your computing is just general and a bit of average gaming then $300 on a CPU is total overkill and your not going to benefit from it.

Pfffff no such thing as overkill on overclockers.com :attn:

Now tht there is no wabbly pops involved ...... The type of Graphics typically involved with web design will be of low resolution, 100 dpi or less as this is your typical resolution that your web browser will display which is 90 dpi there is no need to use higher resolution. Screens are bigger now but I would be surprised if many people would display graphics bigger 750 X 500 pixels or possibly 1000 X 750 ish. Unless we are dealling with graphics meant to be printed in large pics or prints you can probably get away with using something in the area of an AM3 555BE.

Last edited:
That's assuming he's just using PS for Web graphic design, but I didn't want to assume that. Could be a budding photographer, you never know. :shrug:

Yes you never know ..... I think I qualified that at the end, at least that was my intention. Now its time for a wobbly pop ...... or two.

wobbly pop? Must be a canuck thing but I can guess what it's about.

Never heard a beer called a wobbly pop? There's all kinds a wierd slang kicking about and the Ottawa valley has it fair share of them. Be glad I am not a newffie ....... :D

Back