• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help deciding on new motherboard and case.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MashR2toKill

Hello. I have an Alienware Aurora R4 (I know, Shame on me) and the motherboard recently died. I have been looking for a budget friendly motherboard and I think I have found one that is under the $250.00 that I set aside for a motherboard and would like your input: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X79DELUXE/ Is it good for gaming and is it reliable?

If I do end up getting that motherboard, it also means getting a new case. I've been looking for one that's stylish and has a side window and is within the $80.00 that I set aside for a case and I think I've found one: http://www.eteknix.com/win-gt1-mid-tower-chassis-review/ What do you think? Is it a good and reliable case? I do have one problem with it though. It has a switch on the top that controls the fans. The downside is there is only two options: silent and turbo. I do not want that. I want my fans to dynamically adjust to the temperature of my rig. Is there a way around that and if so, what do you suggest.

If you have any parts that would be better than the ones I've chosen, feel free to post them down below.

Here are my specs in-case you need them:

Core i7 3930k @ 3.20Ghz
16GB GDDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz
GTX 780 @ Stock Clocks
1TB HDD 7200RPM OS Drive
3TB HDD 7200 RPM for Games
800 Watt power supply

Thank you in advance!

The motherboard is fine for gaming and reliable as any other.

Cases... reliable? Do they hold components? :p. Case choice is up t you.

If those are holdover parts, go with it. If you are planning on buying these parts, I would get something different.

I do plan to buy those and most likely stick with them until they stop working. Would you happen to have any motherboard or case recommendations that are within my budget?

What is the make and model of your PSU? If it is an off brand I would recommend replacing it with a quality unit. If a PSU goes it can take other components with it, like a brand new motherboard.

What are you cooling the CPU with? Is the CPU overclocked? Reason I ask is to make sure you consider whether or not the case you have chosen will accommodate big aftermarket CPU coolers or even water should you decide to go that direction some day.

My only other suggestion would be to consider replacing the system drive with an SSD. That would give your performance an immediate and significant boost when booting and loading programs.

I do plan to buy those and most likely stick with them until they stop working.

Ok, so you do not own that list already according to the above... gotcha.

That said, that is last generation stuff (CPU/GPU/Mobo). And while still PLENTY serviceable, there are newer and better things out. A couple of questions...

1. What are you going to use this system for? I'm not sure you need a Hex core...
2. That GPU is a generation or so old. Are you gaming at 1080p? If so, grab a 970 instead or 980 if the budget allows...
3. What is your budget?

I'm sorry for the confusion. The only components I'm going to have to buy are the motherboard and the case. I already have everything else.

- - - Updated - - -

My CPU is not overclocked and I am currently water-cooling it

I'm assuming your warranty is up on that system? Not sure how long dell warranties their systems lately, but I would start there because it is a shame to put money into an X79 system.

My guess is you could find a better case than that if you catch a good sale.

I'm assuming your warranty is up on that system? Not sure how long dell warranties their systems lately, but I would start there because it is a shame to put money into an X79 system.

My guess is you could find a better case than that if you catch a good sale.

Yes. My warranty has been up for a couple of years now. Excuse me for my ignorance but why would it be ashame to put money into an X79 system?

Yes. My warranty has been up for a couple of years now. Excuse me for my ignorance but why would it be ashame to put money into an X79 system?

It's has become rather dated technology. Though from a performance perspective your current system is still very relevant since it was a top drawer CPU when the system was new. Socket 1151 (Skylake) stuff will give you about 20-30% better performance when comparing apples to apples.

Is my current CPU compatible with Socket 1151? I was researching and it said my current CPU was for socket 2011 so that's what I have been using to search for motherboards.

Is my current CPU compatible with Socket 1151? I was researching and it said my current CPU was for socket 2011 so that's what I have been using to search for motherboards.

No. Socket 1151 and socket 2011 are two different things.

All I meant was that X79 boards are rather expensive so it is going to take a fair amount of cash to get the system up and running again. Kind of like "do you spend $1k to fix a car that is only worth $2k or should you just get a new one??" The cheapest X79 board on newegg is $250. For $550 you could upgrade to an X99 board with a 6 core processor. Going to Z170 and skylake will probably be a little more since your ram likely isn't compatible.

All I meant was that X79 boards are rather expensive so it is going to take a fair amount of cash to get the system up and running again. Kind of like "do you spend $1k to fix a car that is only worth $2k or should you just get a new one??" The cheapest X79 board on newegg is $250. For $550 you could upgrade to an X99 board with a 6 core processor. Going to Z170 and skylake will probably be a little more since your ram likely isn't compatible.

He'd have to get new ram either way, X99 and Z170 are both DDR4 platforms.

I'd probably get the $250 board, find a cheaper case that fits it and get a quality PSU. It's tough to justify spending that much money on a 4+ year old platform, but it's still cheaper than building a new system that would perform at the same level.

Back