• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help finding proper RAM to add

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ezrude

hi all,
I've got an older computer with a TBGM01-1.0-8EKS3H motherboard (gateway 6800 E). I need to upgrade the RAM on this machine, but I don't know how to find what type it will support. Will any type of DDR3 RAM work or do I need something specific? (The manual I believe said that the board can handle up to 12 GB of ram, but I don't know if that means I can only use up to 6 x 2gb or if I can just get a couple 4gb sticks and be done).

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

The board supports up to 12GB of DDR3-1066 (6 x 2GB modules), assuming you meant the FX6800-01e. How much RAM did it come with, and in what configuration?

yup, 1st, 3rd, and 5th dimm slots. I'm trying to use the machine for some detailed cad work, so the more I could get the better; but I don't really have a target in mind.

Download CPU-Z and post pic's of both the Memory and SPD tabs, so we can see what the current timings are, and the rated voltage is at DDR3-1066. Or just post the make and model of the 3 x installed modules... basically the info on the sticker of each module.

The RAM i'm currently using is: P/N GU502203EP0200, 1GB GDDR3-1333MHZ 128MX8 1.5V RAM. I'm downloading cpu-z now.

3x1gb 1.5v ram 1066mhz, not sure if it is ecc or not..

Seems like generic elpida ram...you can get cheap 2gb sticks from ebay, not sure it will take 4gb ones.
They cost very litttle money, I've also seen lots of that for sale at xtremesystems (Sam-ocx had a ton)

Some of the online memory selectors, like Kingston's and Crucial's, are conservative in their recommendations, and sometimes you can use larger modules. See what the largest modules offered at Gateway's sale site (not necessarily their tech support site) are, and buy the same size elsewhere for less.

Back