• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help FX 6300 running hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gibbs989

Registered
I recently built my first rig, and have since been attempting to overclock my cpu. But I have had issues keeping the temps down and I am looking for any advice on how to do so.

My Rig

Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid tower case

Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 Mobo

AMD FX 6300

Corsair H80 cpu cooler

Corsair HX 750 gold rated psu

XFX R7870 GHz Edition GPU

G. Skill Ares 2x4 GB 1866 DDR3 Ram

G. Skill Phoenix III 120GB SSD

I have my cooling set up with a 120mm fan as a front intake, 2 top mounted 120mm fans for exhaust and then the H80 set up to push/pull air from outside the case through the rad.

I currently have the cpu OC to 4.5GHz using only the multiplier and bumping the vcore to 1.4v I can run prime95 for an hour with no issues other than my temps are getting way to high( I think) cpu temp is peaking at 57 C and core temp hit 59 befor i shut it down.

Any ideas why this thing is running so hot?

I'm not sure if that's abnormal. There is another regular user here who was hitting low 40C core temps at 4.5Ghz with a much better cooling setup (360 rad, probably a better block etc.).

Edit: just saw the thread RGone is talking about, I'm with RGone on this one now.

There seems like there may have to be an FX-6300 runs hot club. You are about the third or fourth one I have seen in two weeks on various forums.

Check this link for what this user was doing with his FX-6300.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724022

I think in the end it was his waterblock to top of cpu that was the issue since he stripped the threads on one of the hold downs. But there are pics of his case and pics of his cpu to water block contact patch. Plenty there to go over on your rig.

I recently built my first rig, and have since been attempting to overclock my cpu. But I have had issues keeping the temps down and I am looking for any advice on how to do so.

My Rig

Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid tower case

Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 Mobo

AMD FX 6300

Corsair H80 cpu cooler

Corsair HX 750 gold rated psu

XFX R7870 GHz Edition GPU

G. Skill Ares 2x4 GB 1866 DDR3 Ram

G. Skill Phoenix III 120GB SSD

I have my cooling set up with a 120mm fan as a front intake, 2 top mounted 120mm fans for exhaust and then the H80 set up to push/pull air from outside the case through the rad.

I currently have the cpu OC to 4.5GHz using only the multiplier and bumping the vcore to 1.4v I can run prime95 for an hour with no issues other than my temps are getting way to high( I think) cpu temp is peaking at 57 C and core temp hit 59 befor i shut it down.

Any ideas why this thing is running so hot?

Hm. I could get my 8350 up to 4.75GHz on a H80, you shouldn't be running this hot. Whats your ambient at? Your CPU-NB isn't changed? How high does your vCore jump to under full load?

Also, I know this is redundant, but make sure your pump is plugged in (As well as all the fans), running properly (You should be able to hear / feel vibrations here) and that your TIM is applied well + a good solid connection is being made.

You should be running low / mid 50s here in my opinion

Ambient temp is 70 F, I have not touched the CPU-NB and the vcore jumps to 1.452 under full load. I double checked my fans they are all working correctly and I cleaned and re-applied new TIM earlier today I thought that maybe the stuff already on the H80 was the problem but my temps did not change at all. As for a solid connection the adapter screws on the H80 are thumb screws so I held the cooling pump in place and tightened them down by hand almost as much as I could the pump is sold and does not move at all so I am assumming that it has a good connection.

The fans have been set on high since I installed the cooler. I figured they could just stay maxed seeing as I planned on OC'ing my rig asap.

I decided to start from scratch.....I reset everything in BIOS to original settings and started tweaking again to get my ram set and start OC'ing my cpu. I currently have my cpu OC to 4.5GHz and only have the vcore at 1.3875 changed the HT Link to 2600 and NB to 2400. I have been running prime 95 for around 20 minutes and have not seen core temps above 53 Degrees Celsius. The only thing I can think of is I accidentally adjusted something in the BIOS on my first OC attempts causing the excessive heat.

Thanks for all the input and quick responses to my thread.

With your 53c core temps, what is the CPU temp showing?

CPU_NB voltage and to some extent that frequency can raise temps but it appears it was mostly Vcore that was causing your heat issue.

Update

So overclocking is a bit addictive... I have been playing around seeing what i could get my rig to do and found out a few things along the way. First off I dropped 4c on my cpu temp and 3c on my core temp simply by removing the rightside panel off of my case pretty sure this is because the back of the socket is open now and can breath. However I do not want to leave it open long term so I have decided to order a few components and do a simple case mod that will mount a fan on the right side panel behind the mobo to either pull the hot air away from the cpu socket or push cold air onto it depending on which is more effective.

Now for the fun part I was able to get over 4.6GHz while keeping temps in check running prime95 in blend for 2 hours.

I was wondering if you can look over my settings and give me any feedback about what may be right or wrong or could be improved upon as I am still very new to Overclocking.

Attachments

• 4.6.PNG
    4.6.PNG
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,164
  • 4.6mem.PNG
    4.6mem.PNG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,160
  • 4.6 temp.PNG
    4.6 temp.PNG
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,170
With the fan on the 'other' side of the case, have seen it tried blowing directly at the whole in the motherboard tray and drawing air away from the hole in the motherboard tray and most times drawing air away from rear of cpu thru the whole in the cpu tray seems to be about 1 or 2c cooler.

Otherwise from the captures you uploaded, don't really see much to change.

Last edited:
if you install a fan on the backside of the motherboard, it should be exaust.
the cpu or socket temp sensor will be fooled if you blow directly on the backside of the socket and your temp will read well below what it really is.
you only want a little flow not a huge flow of air back there just enough to keep the heat from building up.
if you install a fan blowing in you risk poping the vrm.

I will make sure to configure the fan I install to exhaust air from behind the mobo its nothing fancy just one of the stock fans out of my case I replaced it with a green LED Apevia one that had a little higher CFM with same db levels I was mostly after the Green LED. I have decided to install a hard drive as well WD Caviar BLack 1TB and going to order some high end thermal paste to see if I can get the temps a bit lower and maybe squeeze a little more out of my Rig. I was thinking of going with Arctic cooling MX-4 any opinions on it? should I use something else instead?

I just run a low speed 80mm back there when i need to.
I just cut a hole, drilled 4 screw holes.
I have monster top exaust fans so i use just a fan grill most of the time and when I really jack up the vcore i swap it out to a fan.

thermal paste, mx4 is used a lot and people seem to like the results.
i use arctic silver 5, why, it works, it's cheap and radio shack has it here in town not 6 hours away in the big city.

your kind of at the temp limit with the h80 so any gains will be small.

I suppose I could go that route the reason I was looking at just using my exra 120mm case fan was because I can buy this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811996007 for $8 and make it look alot cleaner than simply screwing the fan onto the side of my case the other option I am considering is using a Scythe KAZE-JYUNI Slip Stream Slim 120MM 12MM Cooling Fan 1200RPM 21.7DB 24CFM mounted inside the panel.

Back