• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help getting higher fsb with CH-5 ram on my NF7-S.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pollux

I have a Mobile 2600+ on an NF7-S rev 2.0 with 2x512mb of Corsair XMS pc3200c2 rev1.2, which I'm pretty sure are Winbond CH-5 modules. I've already done the L12 mod and I'm using TicTac's D26 Mantarays XT cpc on.

The highest FSB I've been able to get is 220 @ 2.5-3-3-11 timings @ 1.75 vcore and 2.6 vdimm. I have a strong suspicion that my ram is limiting my overclock. What else is there that I can do here? Should I be getting higher FSB/tighter timings with CH-5?

give em a little more volts first, 2.6v is pretty low. i would also try running cpc off for 2x512mb then compare it with the cpc on. good luck

lithker said:
give em a little more volts first, 2.6v is pretty low. i would also try running cpc off for 2x512mb then compare it with the cpc on. good luck

I've heard that CH-5 peforms BETTER at lower voltages as opposed to higher ones, but I'll give it a shot again (the highest I can get is 2.9 volts). I haven't used a cpc off BIOS since I had my barton 2500+, and with it I could get about 218 fsb @ 2-2-2-11 timings. However, if it is indeed my ram limiting me, wouldn't it be better to use a cpc on bios? And wouldn't I have to get about 235 fsb in order make the switch to cpc off worthwhile? Also, what it is an appropriate chipset voltage? I've left it at stock, although I do have a Zalman NB47J on the northbridge.

I know late production CH-5 will run like BH-5 (ie 240+fsb 2-2-2-x) with the proper volts.

The chipset voltage is odd, you should test different voltages and see if it helps. But 1.7 should be fine with your cooler.

have you tried running it @ 1.4? apparently, some boards oc higher with this setting....(mine was not one of them)

220MHz for that board sounds about right...

my NF7-S v2 dose 225 max , and the performance is comparable to my old DFI LP that could do 250 1:1 FSB

The max I can get is 223mhz (prime and 3d stable). I'm almost 100% sure that my ram is limiting me.

If you want to go higher than 223 you will have to use a bios with CPC off. The Nforce2 does not overclock well with 2 x512 sticks. With my Corsair 2x256 XMS I can hit 248 stable but with 512 Dimms 230 is the best I can do.

Pollux said:
The max I can get is 223mhz (prime and 3d stable). I'm almost 100% sure that my ram is limiting me.
I have winbond ch-5 and samsung tccd , and I'm 99% sure it's your NF2 chipset/MB.... even if you had a hacked bios, it would be very lucky getting 250mhz and @ 2T your bandwidth would still suck.

just be content with 1:1 220MHz @ 2,2,3,11. untill you upgrade.

i remember breaking 220 with my NF7-S, it was a milestone. 2T sucks. sorry guys that use it. 250fsb at 2-3-3-7 2T still doesnt feel as quick as 240 fsb with the same timeings but at 1T. pi times are slower, everythings is slower with 2T. not worth it imho. as for the lates sata driver, you can easily slipstream the current ones into your xp install cd. bandwith is only good if you can use it. if your getiing 80-85% bandwith effieciency, thats pretty sucky, you should be in the 90s to at least brag a little, youre useing it all, efficiently. i dunno, maybe its just me? i havent botherd doing a battery of tests with 2T, just because it didnt feel snappy, even at 250 fsb, so i flashed back. my board gets a little bios corruption at 253 fsb, but that was with a newer 2T bios. thumbs down. dont mean to sound so negative... 2t is slow :(

Back