• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Getting Memory to Advertised speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MovingMadness58

I just purchased the Asus Strix B-350 F MOBO, Ryzen 5 2400g CPU (stock cooler) & G-Skill Ripjaws 3200 2x8 Kit (No Dedicated Graphics Card Yet). I Installed everything, trying to get everything set up in the Bios. I’m successful when overclocking the Intergrated Vega Chip, haven’t over clocked the CPU yet, but every time I have tried to set the Ram at the advertised speed it doesn’t post after a restart.

FYI, This is my first PC Build and first time spending anytime with a Bios. I read that I might need to overclock the CPU first before touching the memory? I’m tired of resetting the CMOS. Is there a way to set it so that if it doesn’t post, it will revert itself back to the pervious setting automatically?

Also, leave links to helpful tutorials or beginners guides. Thank You! First Post Here.

Did you try XMP or DOCP for setting the memory. Do you have to clear the CMOS when it does not boot after setting change?

Last edited:
The IMC of that CPU is rated for a memory frequency of 2933 mhz. In order to run RAM at higher frequencies in first generation of Ryzen CPUs you needed to get RAM using the Samsung "B" series chips. That was pretty common knowledge. The GSKill Ripjaws V series did not use the Samsung B but the Trident Z and the FlareX with 15 CL did. We're not sure yet if that still holds true with the newest Ryzens which are supposed to have a more forgiving IMC.

Which model Ripjaws do you have?

The IMC of that CPU is rated for a memory frequency of 2933 mhz. In order to run RAM at higher frequencies in first generation of Ryzen CPUs you needed to get RAM using the Samsung "B" series chips. That was pretty common knowledge. The GSKill Ripjaws V series did not use the Samsung B but the Trident Z and the FlareX with 15 CL did. We're not sure yet if that still holds true with the newest Ryzens which are supposed to have a more forgiving IMC.

Which model Ripjaws do you have?

That's on old AGESA. If motherboard has good BIOS then can make 3733-3866 on 1st gen Ryzen using Hynix, Micron or Samsung IC. I had no luck with DDR4-4000 so far but I could set 3866 on B350/X370/X399 ASRock/MSI motherboards.
If motherboard still has old BIOS then would be good to update it to the latest version.

Some Ripjaws V were on Samsung, also B die. Pretty much everything 3000 CL14-14-14 or 3200 15-15-15 is on Samsung B regardless of heatsink type.
Memory product number or screenshot from thaiphoon burner / SPD window would help a lot.

If your motherboard won't back to default settings after failed OC then simply hold power button for 4 sec+ ( sometimes 2-3 times ) and then motherboard will set default settings as it will think that something went wrong. The same works on most new motherboards.

At 3200+ you can try to set +0.1V SOC voltage. Max safe for this voltage is 1.2V but I guess you won't need more than 1.1V. Maybe this is the reason why it can't work at 3200.
You can also disable XMP/DOCP and set manually 3200 16-18-18-38 and averything else at auto. If you make it work like that then can check higher clock or lower the timings to 16-16-16, 15-15-15 ... this depends on memory IC so it's good to know what is under the heatsinks.

Yes, I realize the IMC is capable of more than 2933 mhz. All I'm saying is that is the "official" rating given to the component by the CPU manufacturer.

I meant mainly this - > "In order to run RAM at higher frequencies in first generation of Ryzen CPUs you needed to get RAM using the Samsung "B" series chips."
For some reason everywhere, all are spreading info that for Ryzen good is only Samsung B while barely anyone is testing other IC. If motherboard has good BIOS then you can set 3600+ on Hynix and Micron too ( maybe not at so tight timings ). Point is that earlier AGESA had problems with various IC, even Samsung B if SPD/XMP wasn't perfect. 2933 is guaranteed on low density IC mainly because up to ~3000 nearly all memory kits have similar main/sub timings ( close to JEDEC values ) and it changes at higher frequency.

Back