• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help! HDD PCB component fried.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phrenetical

Ok long story short, last night switched on pc, smelt that electrical burning smell, PC reset before i even got to the power button.

On reboot, nada, no beeps, but BIOS didn't detect HDD at all, not a settings issue.

Upon inspection of HDD, this is what i saw.

hdd_fried1.jpg

hdd_fried2.jpg

hdd_fried3.jpg

This is the only noticable damage, the drive doesn't power up now basically, hence not appearing in bios. Nothing else in PC seems to be affected, but won't know for sure till tonight.

NFI what caused it.

Is this drive fixable, salvagable, data recovery possible?

I backed up all my important stuff last month, so anything i couldn't stand to lose is safe, but it means iv lost any work iv done for the last month, and a range of other things i'd rather have back.

Is it possible that the PCB could be replaced, is anything possible with this thing now.

The damage looks rather minimal, it is only that component affected none of the Chips were damaged. I can probably get a replacement for this drive but the drive i dont care about, it is the data or some of it want back.

If anyone on here even has a way to retrieve set data i'd be happy to enlist their services $.

bugger....

DRIVE specs

Seagate Barracuda
160gb
Model: ST3160827AS
Firmware:3.42
P/N: 9W2934816

Pretty sure it is still under warranty.

yea; just looking at that brings back memories. Just recently and a lil while ago. Get a drive the same kind and switch the boards. That worked for me in 2 occasions.

The damage does not look very extensive, I think you'd stand a good chance with PCB replacement. If there were more scorch marks or if the damage was closer to the leads that run into the spindle, I'd be far more concerned.

Ok i figured that would be the case.

How do i do this but, maybe i can hunt down the same PCB, but even if i do, how do i change them, don't you need special tools?

Any soldering required?

Any guides on this kind of thing?

thanks guys.

No soldering required. You do need a set of small Torx bits. Home Depot, Lowes, Hechingers or other big box hardware stores should have a kit with them. The right size very small flat screwdriver can also be used to pull the screws. After they are removed, gently remove the PCBA and reverse the process to reassemble.

Thanks.

hmmm, guess i have to way up if this is all worth it now.

spose i get a new HDD out of it and some more tools. Theoretically get my data back...

:)

Back