• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED HELP !!! i7 4790K - Processor Temp issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Could you please install HWMonitor (non pro version) and have it open on the desktop while you run Prime95? Have the HWMonitor user interface expanded so we can see everything from the very top down through the core temp section. Then attach pics please. I want to see what your maximum processor voltages are under load. HWMonitor will give us a wealth of information about temps and voltages of not only the processor but the motherboard.

Here is HWMonitor Screen. Please check.

One thing, I noticed that when I turn-off TURBO from BIOS then Temperature remain @ 62 - 66C in BIOS. Whereas its Start from 81C, if TURBO is ON.

HWMONITOR.jpg

Ill bet it isnt a voltage issue... :)

Look at those temps in Realtemp. 100C / 93C / 64C / 49C.....that spread is nkt right!

Either the heatsink isnt mounted right or too little paste. Or maybe the tim between the ihs and die broke its seal. If it was a voltage thing, all cores would be a lot closer together.

This is start happening when I was playing game with 4130 with GT740 2GB and suddenly Heatsin fan spinning too fast.

I checked and Heatsink is seated properly. Regarding Paste, same is happening with 4130 when I again installed it with TX3 EVO Heatsink. I don't know why this is happening.

How its possible that processor's TEMP straight jump from 35C to 98C / 100C during bench and after it straight comes to 40C then 35C in a Second? As far as I know, temp rise and lower gradually.

You sure the pump is running ?

I checked RADIATOR and its passes cool air, check radiator pipes and that are cool too. Again touch downside of Heatsink while Bench on CPU-Z but there was very minor heat. You know if processor really runs at 100C then downside of heatsink also getting hot.

However, if there anyway particular way to check if PUMP IS RUNNING or NOT then please let me know.

If you download corsair link it might let you see what RPM the pump is running @ .
I really dont know why your temps are that high . I would need 1.5+ volts to get my temps that high .
If you turn HT (in bios) off does it help the temps any ?

If you look at TMPIN2 in HWMonitor you can see the socket/VRM temp is also unusually high. The VRM has a heat sink on it.

But the voltages seem normal.

And that case has good ventilation.

Not sure what is going on here.

Salman_Saheb, how old is the Corsair AIO cooler?

Last edited:
Here is HWMonitor Screen. Please check.

One thing, I noticed that when I turn-off TURBO from BIOS then Temperature remain @ 62 - 66C in BIOS. Whereas its Start from 81C, if TURBO is ON.

View attachment 196711

This is start happening when I was playing game with 4130 with GT740 2GB and suddenly Heatsin fan spinning too fast.

I checked and Heatsink is seated properly. Regarding Paste, same is happening with 4130 when I again installed it with TX3 EVO Heatsink. I don't know why this is happening.

How its possible that processor's TEMP straight jump from 35C to 98C / 100C during bench and after it straight comes to 40C then 35C in a Second? As far as I know, temp rise and lower gradually.

I checked RADIATOR and its passes cool air, check radiator pipes and that are cool too. Again touch downside of Heatsink while Bench on CPU-Z but there was very minor heat. You know if processor really runs at 100C then downside of heatsink also getting hot.

However, if there anyway particular way to check if PUMP IS RUNNING or NOT then please let me know.

Looks like you have the pump plugged into system fan 2 ? is that right ? does it work better if it is in CPU fan ?
Also do you have a fan profile set on it ? in bios can you lock that to 100% voltage ?

Looks like you have the pump plugged into system fan 2 ? is that right ? does it work better if it is in CPU fan ?
Also do you have a fan profile set on it ? in bios can you lock that to 100% voltage ?

Double checked, The CPU Fan is plugged in to CPU Fan header.

I didn't set any profile. There is "BALANCE" selected in profile menu in Corsair Link.

You mean CPU Fan profile in BIOS?

Crank every thing you can . Is there a HIGH SPEED option if so use that .
Yea CPU fan profile that your Pump is plugged into might be limiting the Speed signal/Voltage out to the AIO . Set that to max as well .

Did you try disabling HT ?
Try setting your voltage from auto as well . Work down from 1.2 .
Maybe for now Disable XMP .
What settings is it using for cache speed ? try locking it @ 30x

Disabling cores and CPU features is not getting to the root of the problem. S_S how old is the Corsair AIO? Over time, water slowly evaporates from the hoses. You could have air bubble lock.

If I'm reading this correctly he's saying he's getting the same issues with a different CPU and a different air cooler. If this is in fact the case I'm hedging my bets on faulty sensors.

A couple more questions for you S_S, did the other CPU display the same drastic temperature difference between cores? They should all be within 3-5°c of each other. Also have you tried allowing the CPU to shut itself down due to over heating? It is a safety feature on all CPU's (assuming you don't disable that feature in BIOS) and although we don't like to do this it is a valid way to test if you're temps are true.

Crank every thing you can . Is there a HIGH SPEED option if so use that .
Yea CPU fan profile that your Pump is plugged into might be limiting the Speed signal/Voltage out to the AIO . Set that to max as well .

Did you try disabling HT ?
Try setting your voltage from auto as well . Work down from 1.2 .
Maybe for now Disable XMP .
What settings is it using for cache speed ? try locking it @ 30x

OK. I will put Fan at Maximum and let you know.

Yeh when I disabled HT and in BIOS Temp not goes up to 67C but during Benchmark in windows, its straight up to 100C.

Disabled XMP profile in BIOS already.

Bro I never did overclocking and voltage settings. Therefore I didn't try it as this is better for me to stay away, if I don't know about it.
However, if you can guide me then here are screens of my BIOS. if you can suggest me settings then I will do it. (This shot taken while turbo off)

20180109_225611.jpg
20180109_225627.jpg
20180109_225645.jpg
20180109_225658.jpg
20180109_225718.jpg
20180109_225752.jpg
20180109_225807.jpg

Disabling cores and CPU features is not getting to the root of the problem. S_S how old is the Corsair AIO? Over time, water slowly evaporates from the hoses. You could have air bubble lock.

Corsair AIO is only 2 Days old. I again touched the bottom of heatsink during benchmark but sink is cold, there is no hotness around the Sink. Radiator exhausting cool air, Pipes are cooled. But Straight Jump from 35C to 98C/100C is completely understandable.

If I'm reading this correctly he's saying he's getting the same issues with a different CPU and a different air cooler. If this is in fact the case I'm hedging my bets on faulty sensors.

A couple more questions for you S_S, did the other CPU display the same drastic temperature difference between cores? They should all be within 3-5°c of each other. Also have you tried allowing the CPU to shut itself down due to over heating? It is a safety feature on all CPU's (assuming you don't disable that feature in BIOS) and although we don't like to do this it is a valid way to test if you're temps are true.

Yeh when I benchmark i3 -4130, the result is same i.e. Jump straight from IDLE Temp to 95C / 98C and when bench stop, its straight comes to 29C/30C (Same as 4790K).

All settings in BIOS are Set to AUTO. However, I will put CPU fan at extreme tonight and check the result.

in seeing that there are some of the cores that get hot, there is a possibility that the socket top is affecting the mount. I would remove the cooler and make sure the heat spreader is above the socket top.

Id like to see a picture of the cpu with the heatsink off of it to see if there is an even paste spread....

Again, with a temp spread so wide between cores, i cant see this as a voltage issue. Regarding the other cpu, hes saying it happened there as well.... but we dont know if ALL cores were toasty or if its like this where there is an impossibly wide spread.

in seeing that there are some of the cores that get hot, there is a possibility that the socket top is affecting the mount. I would remove the cooler and make sure the heat spreader is above the socket top.

I just checked that and found most of paste going right side of CPU i.e. towards IO Shield though I applied it in Center of Processor and Sink as well but when I remove sink, I found that its spread Right Side of CPU. Now I remember that same happened when I was using TX3 EVO.

If you are right that this Socket Top issue and that's why HeatSink is not working then it means that when I was using system on 4130 and playing game then somehow socket become loose or whatever that's why Cooling is not effecting when processor reach to 100% usage.

Don't know why?

Id like to see a picture of the cpu with the heatsink off of it to see if there is an even paste spread....

Again, with a temp spread so wide between cores, i cant see this as a voltage issue. Regarding the other cpu, hes saying it happened there as well.... but we dont know if ALL cores were toasty or if its like this where there is an impossibly wide spread.

OK bro, I will take picture when open again and post here.

Ok.. paste on one side... that tells us its a bad mount and explains the lopsided temps as suspected.

Now the question is WHY is the mount so jacked up?

You have more thermal paste to apply, right?

Edit: if it happenend with 2 cpus and 2 coolers, either the motherboard is messed up or the coolers werent mounted right on either. Im betting in the latter. :)

Last edited:
Ok.. paste on one side... that tells us its a bad mount and explains the lopsided temps as suspected.

Now the question is WHY is the mount so jacked up?

You have more thermal paste to apply, right?

Edit: if it happenend with 2 cpus and 2 coolers, either the motherboard is messed up or the coolers werent mounted right on either. Im betting in the latter. :)

Yeh I applied thermal paste again but the problem is that I used three Heatsinks i.e.

1) used Intel Stock Heatsink again on 4130, Unmount motherboard, took it out and install Heatsink around three times but result is same (this was seated properly since April 2013 and this problem started in running system though paste was enough on Sink)
2) Installed TX3 EVO 3 - 4 times and result is same
3) Now 4 times install H100i V2 properly and there is no further way to tighten the screws. I also tried to push the back plate of Processor and try to push the heatsink further but there is no way. I checked that Copper block is properly seated from all sides.

Now what I am thinking that socket mount got some problem or else.

I discussed this issue with a IT Experts here and they asked me to bring Motherboard, RAM, both Processors and Liquid Cooler on Monday to their Company's workshop. They are also curious to know about this problem like me that How could it possible.

However, in during overall discussion with them over phone they says that mostly this is Sensor issue but they said that they wanna check CPU Socket also.

So I have to wait till Monday. However, my friend have a used motherboard of 4th Generation some B1 Sniper and he said that I am feel free to experiment on it tomorrow.

I am only praying that Processor should be OK otherwise I have to Packed my system in a box as there is no other way. Hand-Tight now. Spent all savings on it.

One thing I want to say that after install - reinstalling Heatsink, downgrade and re-upgrade bios the GPU IDLE Temperature seat at 46C. So I reset the BIOS and GPU IDEL temp seat at 40C-41C.

This happened all 4 times, I remove Heatsink as well as after upgrade and degrade bios.

But after I short bios jumper then it become normal i.e. 40C - 41C IDLE. Don't know why its also happening with GPU.

Lets not worry about the gpu in this thread. That said, the temp difference there could be anything. My guess is we dont know ambient temps, how long the gpy was idle and if it had some load on it.... and so on. Those idle temps are fine for the gpu anyway.

Well, i doubt the motherboard is bad, i doubt two heatsinks are bad, so i guess we'll see what your shop says.

Lets not worry about the gpu in this thread. That said, the temp difference there could be anything. My guess is we dont know ambient temps, how long the gpy was idle and if it had some load on it.... and so on. Those idle temps are fine for the gpu anyway.

Well, i doubt the motherboard is bad, i doubt two heatsinks are bad, so i guess we'll see what your shop says.

I am praying that if anything faulty then it should be Motherboard because I spent all my savings and can't buy other things because I can buy Used 4th Gen Motherboard in next month but nothing else.

Please pray the same :)

Bottom line is you need to figure out why the coolers and the water blocks are not putting even pressure on the CPU top. Have you tried taking the motherboard out and inspecting the underside of the socket area? I would take the board out of the case and set the barebones system up on a table top or a box.

Thanks for your replies. What I did:

1) Remove Corsair Sink and saw that thermal paste was gone though I applied thermal paste
2) I Thermal Paste again and put the sink tightly (not hard)
3) Start the system and check in BIOS the temp was on 80C then start heading-up to 91C (Gradually)

4) Start RealTemp and CPU-Z to check idle temp (you can check Idle Temp and Voltage in Pic)
View attachment 196700

5) Did XSBENCH
View attachment 196701

6) Start Sensor Test and its jump straight to 99C to 100C (Check Temp, Utilization, Speed and Voltage)
View attachment 196702

7) Prime Test Continue (at that time, touched the downside of Heatsink and was not like processor running at 100C but system showing its 100C)
View attachment 196703

8) When I stop PrimeTest, The temp directly reached to 35C (Checked PIC)
View attachment 196704

9) Then run CPU-Z Bech Test and again processor temp directly reached to 98C but when stop the test, Temp reached to 35C
View attachment 196705

10) Last open Corsair Link Software and Bench on CPU-Z, the Processor Temp reached to 100C but Pump Temperature on 32C
View attachment 196706

11) Played FarCry 4 (at Ultra / All Settings at Max) and Temp reached to 83C

Lastly downgraded bios to F14 version but result is same.

This causes me concern. All the AOI water cooler I have used were designed to tighten the retaining hardware all the way until you came to a built in stop. They are purposely designed that way so that mounting pressure is even and sufficient but not exessive. So I have a question here about your mounting methodology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line is you need to figure out why the coolers and the water blocks are not putting even pressure on the CPU top. Have you tried taking the motherboard out and inspecting the underside of the socket area? I would take the board out of the case and set the barebones system up on a table top or a box.

This causes me concern. All the AOI water cooler I have used were designed to tighten the retaining hardware all the way until you came to a built in stop. They are purposely designed that way so that mounting pressure is even and sufficient but not exessive. So I have a question here about your mounting methodology.

Yes that's exactly what I mean, I hand-tighten all four screws until it stop by Built in Stop.

Last night I tried screw-driver to tight very little further and now there is no way it tighten. This is weird issue, I am facing.

I am trying to arrange another Motherboard for Testing Purpose. If arrange then I will test on that Motherboard. Let see.

However, please advise is there any issue of CPU SOCKET? as this problem starts with Intelheatsink + i3 -4130 + GT 740 2GB while I was playing game at lower settings. Till then this problem still remain as it is.

Have you removed the motherboard yet for inspection, especially the underside?

Back