• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED HELP !!! i7 4790K - Processor Temp issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do I need a better PSU or this is OK?

The only reviews I can find on this PSU are from 2008. If my math is correct you're looking at about 8 years past the 2 year warranty. If it were in my rig I would replace it as soon as I could. Throw it in a drawer as an emergency back up, but yes, I would replace it.

The only reviews I can find on this PSU are from 2008. If my math is correct you're looking at about 8 years past the 2 year warranty. If it were in my rig I would replace it as soon as I could. Throw it in a drawer as an emergency back up, but yes, I would replace it.

I bought this in end of 2015. New Sealed pack.

Anyway, tell me what supply should I buy, if I need to Overclock 4790K to 4.8 Ghz. The GPU require itself 400Watts Power. LED Monitor BenQ 2270 1920X1080p.
Casing Crystal 570X RGB. H100I V2 Liquid Cooler.

Someone suggest me that Corsair 650Watts should be enough for this. What you say?

Now a days too many brands in market. So I don't know which one would be solid for this build.

That power supply is a decent unit. No worries there.
As for the temps rising with the graphics card that leads me to believe you need better airflow through your case the hot air isn't getting out fast enough

That power supply is a decent unit. No worries there.
As for the temps rising with the graphics card that leads me to believe you need better airflow through your case the hot air isn't getting out fast enough

I tested like this. This pic without GPU but later I put GPU for testing also. Seems no air-flow problem.
20180217_222439.jpg

Are you reading these temps in BIOS or windows? Seems rather high for BIOS

Are you reading these temps in BIOS or windows? Seems rather high for BIOS

Yeh I read that in BIOS. Check Page 3, I posted Picture of BIOS.

If that PSU is only a few years old than you should be fine with that one.

Yeh bought in end of 2015. Still no noise and fan is auto, which I noticed in last month. hehehehehehe I was afraid that PSU have some problem so I jump start PSU and fan run but stop within 2 secs as there was no load on PSU.

So this PSU work fine with overclock 4.8Ghz processor and my other components?

I don't know if processor take extra wattage when overclocked and how much wattage its require at 4.8 Ghz with GPU require 400Watts.

I had an h100i a couple years ago, there was an issue with it not mounting tight enough. I had to use 4 rubber washers. There should be a few YouTube videos about it.

I had an h100i a couple years ago, there was an issue with it not mounting tight enough. I had to use 4 rubber washers. There should be a few YouTube videos about it.

yes you are right and finally I figured out the problem. Checked on youtube and found that this happened, if your motherboard is Thin.

At least one thing I know that Old mother board are on Dieting (Slim) and New one pass through by GYM (Bodybuilder). Looks Smart :):D

Anyway, waiting for the Mobo from Technician. Let see if its start giving display or not.

My motherboard is dead. not giving power to IO. Though without RAM giving BEEP. Tried a lot but not worked.

However, these three boards are available:

1) Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H (Company Refurbished without IO Shield and accessories)
2) Gigabyte H97-D3H (Fresh but without warranty)
3) Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3

Please advise which would be good for my RIG and good for overclocking 4790K.

To use with the 4790K you'll want z87/97 motherboard for overclocking.

You likely can order the I/O shield from the gigabyte store or find one on ebay. The other "accessories" are not important. Are you in the US? As Johan45 said, you want a Z chipset board if you will be overclocking.

No I am not from USA.

I bought H97-D3H. Overclocked to 4.5Ghz. Applied Arctic Silver 5 Paste and temperate not cross 67C on Bench and Stress test on 68C - 69C

Here is the result.
https://valid.x86.fr/abqrds

Now in Assassin's Creed maximum temperature is 60C-63C (at 72% load on CPU).

My problem solved.

However, one thing I want to know some people says that tighten the Cooler whereas when I try to tighten the cooler, temperature rise.

So I hand tighten the cooler and its done. Is it right?

No I am not from USA.

I bought H97-D3H. Overclocked to 4.5Ghz. Applied Arctic Silver 5 Paste and temperate not cross 67C on Bench and Stress test on 68C - 69C

Here is the result.
https://valid.x86.fr/abqrds

Now in Assassin's Creed maximum temperature is 60C-63C (at 72% load on CPU).

My problem solved.

However, one thing I want to know some people says that tighten the Cooler whereas when I try to tighten the cooler, temperature rise.

So I hand tighten the cooler and its done. Is it right?

Should be nice and snug. If your temps are rising when you tighten the screws, then the mount is causing a bow effect and the cooler instead of making better contact is rising off the cpu. Just be sure the cooler's screws are snug tight.

Should be nice and snug. If your temps are rising when you tighten the screws, then the mount is causing a bow effect and the cooler instead of making better contact is rising off the cpu. Just be sure the cooler's screws are snug tight.

Thanks.

If I use Screw-Driver to tighten the screws till end then temperature rise to 91C. So I hand tighten screws and check. during running system, was loosing and tightening screws and finally its done. So I live it as it is.

Glad its mounted right! Enjoy your pc! :)

Thanks ED!

Back