• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help in overclocking my FX6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your processor's integrated memory controller is capable of handling 1866 ram but that does not mean you can run ram rated for 1333 at 1866 speeds. If you want to run 1866 memory speeds than buy 1866 rated ram. I would be skeptical at trying to make your ram run at 1600 as well, even with loosened timings. Even if you can get the ram to be stable at 1600 with extra voltage and loosed timings the performance offset from loosening the timings that much may negate any performance gain you expected to see from the higher frequency.

oh ok.. so do you think its better to leave the settings at the current values with the current hardware i got? do i still need to change any settings on the bios based on the pictures?

I agree with Trents that that ram may or may not benefit by some added speed. Like I said try your current timings put the DRam voltage to 1.65v and the speed to 1600. Make sure you save this OC profile first . playing with the ram can lock things up pretty quick and require a CMOS clear. So if it's not saved it'll be lost.
Then change the ram and see what happens. If it works try running P95 again and see if it's stable or not. P95 can weed that out pretty quickly.

I agree with Trents that that ram may or may not benefit by some added speed. Like I said try your current timings put the DRam voltage to 1.65v and the speed to 1600. Make sure you save this OC profile first . playing with the ram can lock things up pretty quick and require a CMOS clear. So if it's not saved it'll be lost.
Then change the ram and see what happens. If it works try running P95 again and see if it's stable or not. P95 can weed that out pretty quickly.

alright.. thats what ill do..ill prioritize in getting a stable OC settings first and then do that after.. well what do you think on the current settings i have? do i need to change anything or adjust anything?

hi everyone here is what i tried so far. i changed the FSB to 250 and the multi to 18. i also adjusted the vcore to 1.5 and this is what i have. the pictures below is what i got after running prime95 at blend for more than 2 hours or so..

new CPU.JPG

new memory.JPG

new spd.JPG

new HW.JPG

is the Vcore voltage too high?? should i just return to the 252 x 17.5 setup where the vcore is at 1.475?

Last edited:
here is the complete HWmonitor... this is after running IBT at high stress level and prime95 for 2+ hrs...

new HW.JPG

I'd revert back to your 4.4 speed you had on the last page. You're too high in temps and volts in my opinion. Then take that OC and see if you can fine tune it a bit to get the temps and volts down a bit more. If you can do that you may be able to increase the speed again but not likely.

I'd revert back to your 4.4 speed you had on the last page. You're too high in temps and volts in my opinion. Then take that OC and see if you can fine tune it a bit to get the temps and volts down a bit more. If you can do that you may be able to increase the speed again but not likely.
Agreed, I wouldn't be running 1.5+ Cpu V for a 24/7 overclock.

I would also back down from the 4.5 ghz to allow a lower vcore. I think running 1.5vcore would be safe for 24/7 on a motherboard with a good heatsink on the mosfet/VRM area which is between the CPU socket and the I/O ports at the back edge of the board (see pics). But your board has none. And 1.5 vcore it would be the upper limit for me for 24/7 if I did have a sink on the mosfets. Your package temps are also at the limit of safe. Good job karikapu.

Attachments

• mosfets.png
    mosfets.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 44
  • mosfets2.jpg
    mosfets2.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I would stay with the 1.45 ghz settings. I think running 1.5vcore is safe for 24/7 but it would be the upper limit for me. Your package temps are also at the limit of safe. Good job karikapu. Now I say this with the caveat that those temps were achieved while the stress test was being run during the hot part of the day.

yeah your exactly right i run the stress test with IBT and prime95 in the afternoon where its the most hottest coz im about to sleep and i left it there, and i cant possibly did it without all your help.. is there anything else that i need to change based on the pictures? alright ill back down from 4.5Ghz to 4.4Ghz till i get a new board. would you think the asrock fatal1ty 990fx can do it? coz thats what im planning to get..

I edited my post and changed my advice because I remembered your motherboard does not have a heat sink on the mosfets. Look at the pics I attached of a board without mosfet sinks and one with a sink on those components. The mosfets are the most fragile component on a motherboard.

I edited my post and changed my advice because I remembered your motherboard does not have a heat sink on the mosfets. Look at the pics I attached of a board without mosfet sinks and one with a sink on those components. The mosfets are the most fragile component on a motherboard.

yeah i was looking at that picture and yes my board doesnt have the heatsinks on the mosfets, so i reverted back to the 4.4Ghz instead just to be safe until i get a new board. what do you think about the asrock fatal1ty 990fx board? it has heatsinks on the important places on the board do you think that will do the job? coz im choosing between the asus sabertooth R.2 and the asrock fatal1ty 990fx....

Both great boards. Actually mandrake I read their going back to the fatality line. Probably just a marketing thing.

Edit: correction-this is ASRock's newest member of the 990FX family.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty 990FX Killer/

i see.. and your right ive been reading some excellent reviews about both boards and both of them are great boards thats why i cant deside which one to get... :bang head:bang head:bang head

Last edited:
I can vouch for the Sabertooth 990FX R 2.0, I have personally put this board through the wringer and it came out dry, Ha ha Well almost any way but that's a different tale on the riverbank. Any how it's a great board I have run 4 different CPUs on it different ram etc. and it still chugs along content.

The only difference that I like between my Asus boards and my Asrock board is that I can save 8 overclock profiles on the Asus boards vs 3 on my Asrock and I find the Fan control settings easier to manage on the Asus.

The only difference that I like between my Asus boards and my Asrock board is that I can save 8 overclock profiles on the Asus boards vs 3 on my Asrock and I find the Fan control settings easier to manage on the Asus.

About it since the Fatal1ty 990FX Pro and the newer Killer and likely the EXT9 should be monster clockers like my Fatal1ty Pro board is.
RGone...ster.

Karikapu if I were you I'd look at your requirements. If they both exceed what you wish to do with them then look at warranty and return policy/custom service record. Then price. I believe you'll be truly happy with which ever you choose.

Back