• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help in picking memory.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VietTaco

I am not new at building computer but still learning about ram. I have never pay attention to memory or overclock it at all. I guess... all my previous build are luck lol. Like if the motherboard support 32gb ddr3 max. I just plug a few ddr3 ram and call it a day. I don't know nothing else. So sorry before hand.

I am building a Ryzen 1800x with a Asus X370 Hero motherboard. I am just hoping if anyone can give me some reference to what memory card I should buy. From 16gb to 32gb. I really don't understand the 2666mhz 3000mhz etc. My search just lead me to more confusing.

Thanks.

16gb is probably plenty for most people. If you're not going to overclock it, just get the cheapest kit you can find. Most of them are 2333mhz and only reach the higher rating with the XMP profile loaded. If you're willing to use the XMP profile setting (in the bios), then get the fastest ram you can afford.

If you're looking for plug and play ram Then look at some 2400Mhz 16gb ram. Anything faster will require you to set-up in the BIOS. This is very easy to do and we can walk you through it even if you're still unsure. If you're willing to try this then look into the 3000Mhz range. Anything faster than that and the price to performance drops off in my opinion.

What I am looking at right now is the corsair rgb 16gb dd4 with 3000mhz. Is it compable with my motherboard? Some searches show up it's ok some are not. If it's only messing with the bio a bit to make it work then it's a good. Since the price are not that big of a difference.

What I am looking at right now is the corsair rgb 16gb dd4 with 3000mhz. Is it compable with my motherboard? Some searches show up it's ok some are not. If it's only messing with the bio a bit to make it work then it's a good. Since the price are not that big of a difference.

What you're seeing is the difference between JEDEC ratings vs what the resellers have it rated for. Essentially the higher speed RAM is pre-overclocked/rated at a given speed and voltage. The only compatibility problems are pin-out and voltage if you're talking normal vs low voltage. So long as it's DDR4 it'll work on Ryzen if you like what you've chosen it'll be just fine.

G.SKILL has a QVL (qualified vendors list) for the motherboard you have. LINK: http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gfx

Back