• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help on airflow in mATX case. With a Tbred B 1800+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

I have the system in my sig in a mATX case. I have managed to fit a full size ATX powersupply inside, which is one tight fit.

Here is what I have right now:
angryscase.jpg

The only thing is for the next 2 weeks Im stuck with the retail AMD heatsink. I think I have a faster fan than the one it came with.

Load temps are 47-51C
idle is 41-45.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions on how the fans should be setup.
Also the fans labeled 80mm, Im not sure if thats their size, all I know is that they are bigger than regular case fans. They are pretty big, and take up alot of room on the side of my mATX case.

Thanks in advance...

first off, your front fan should be blowing in at all times. second, your side fans should all be blowing in one direction. depending on how your case is located (next to the wall, on your desk alone, etc.) will determine which direction. if it has good cool airflow around it (i.e. not next to your monitor) having them blowing in will be your best bet, otherwise, have them exhausting.

I don't know how wide your case is, but I have a couple of slim desktop mATX cases, and I wouldn't think of puting intakes on the side panel. There's just not enough room between the fan and the motherboard... you're only going to be hitting an 80mm circle with direct airflow from the fan. Since I use an Alpha HSF I would try reversing them both, but it may not work well for you at all depending on the HSF you use (right, it's the AMD stock... well then, definitely don't reverse the top fan). Also, why don't you use the lower front intake?

Use the front intake cool air blowing into case
side case fans ALL blowing air into case
Rear case fans blowing air out of case.
Set it up this way will result in lower temps

gogadgetman said:
Use the front intake cool air blowing into case
side case fans ALL blowing air into case
Rear case fans blowing air out of case.
Set it up this way will result in lower temps

That's a pretty bold statement there... you offering any guarantees? :p
Not that I necessarily disagree with your statement, but it's hard to predict how the air is going to flow within the case... the best bet is to try a variety of arrangements.

If the case is sitting on the short side - I would have
all the fans below a certain line blowing in - and all others
blowing out. For me this would create a through flow across
the whole motherboard.
If you haven't drilled holes yet - I would have the two 80's
on the lower side of the case - and an port on the top.

Really - it's an art. If you have the holes drilled - wire
them all to outside the case and experiment with ins and outs.
Then we'll be using you as our MATX guru :)

couchpotato said:

Really - it's an art. If you have the holes drilled - wire
them all to outside the case and experiment with ins and outs.
Then we'll be using you as our MATX guru :)

Hey, Ill be back tonight with pics...
I have all the holes drilled all ready and teh fans mounted as shown....on the inside of the case, they do not bump or knock anything even when sliding the case on...

GOta go to work...laterz...

Also there is absolutly no room on top of the case for a fan, the cdrom and PSU are back to back..

Last edited:
Here are the pics, what do u guys think? Taken with a webcam sorry...

angry2.jpg

angry3.jpg

angry4.jpg

angry5.jpg

Yeah I know...I havent finished painting the case yet...There is alot more work that needs to be done to it...

Last edited:
Oh - lost the thread.

Nice wire grills would be nice. -
I (just me) would have made the holes a little bigger
for airflow (greatest around the outer edge of the fan).

- and ??? how are the experiments going.

Back