• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help on CPU cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nubki11a

Registered
Hi all!

I am going to buy a new computer, and I basically have everything now. Except for my CPU cooler. I will be using it on a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, on a Asus Crosshair IV Formula motherboard. I am not planning to be pushing extreme limits, around 4GHz I guess. My budget is about $60-$70 or 40-50 euros.

I have been looking around a lot on the internet, and I was thinking about getting the Zalman CNPS10X Extreme first, then saw that the Zalman CNPS10X Performa was better, with two fans. It might also be a bit cheaper. My question is: Should I just stick the the Extreme? Or go with the Zalman Performa and add another fan? Or should I mount 2 identical fans? Blue LED's are preferred. I was thinking about getting 2 CoolerMaster R4 SickleFlow's (120mm, it says that they are Case fans on the website but they should also work on the CPU right?). But if I am replacing the original fan on the Performa anyway, wont it be better if I'd just get a single heatsink, without fans?
I'm a little confused on if it would make a difference.

Any help greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks

Why? Isnt Zalman a good brand? The CNPS10X's have got pretty decent reviews. I am probably going to use a Antec 900 case. Is that big enough to house all these coolers? I know about the Noctua-D14, but it's quite expensive I think. Would you need a high-end/big cooler like that for overclocking an 1090T?
I will have a good look at these coolers when I'm done with my homework :p

Zalman is in the same league as Thermaltake... a lot of marketing/bling... not a lot of performance.

Push/Pull on the Megahalems makes it a monster. Those fans are "adequate", I'm sure their CFM numbers are not accurate as well as the noise level, but really... anything in Push/Pull is going to be a plus for cooling.

Cool :) Are there any popular/good fans that arent too expensive, so a good bang for buck? Blue LEDS are a nice plus. That is, if these r4 fans arent really good, for their price. I dont want to spend much more than 6 euros or about 8 dollars on fans.

In that price range (sub$8), Yate Loon's will probably be your best bet. Do you absolutely need LED's ?
Regardless check out FrozenCPU for fans... they have a ton to choose from.

Yate Loon offers High, Medium, and Low speed options, as well as a few with LED's if you need it. They can't be beat for the price usually.

The price of fans do not necessarily reflect their performance. Many companies get caught up in the bling factor and think they're worth more than they really are. If you truly want high performance fans you can never go wrong with tried and true Delta, Panaflo, Nidec etc...

Alright thanks :D Even though I do not really need LEDs, it would be cool to have them :p I will check it out, thanks. I could only find complete coolers at FrozenCPU, not really fans alone. Got em now, thx :p

So on another forum someone told me to stay away from Sleeve bearings if possible, because they have a more limited lifetime and can 'go out' suddenly. The Yate Loons are Sleeve, is this a problem?

Also, a different question. I can ship my parts for free from the USA to The Netherlands (EU) via a friend. But should I do this with all parts? Because some may not work properly or could be/get damaged (during shipping). And if Id want to send them back, that wont be free. What are your opinions on this?

Last edited:
Yes, maybe only 1-3 years in a horizontal config, meaning top of the case. Think about a shaft with a sleeve over it. Vertical there is lots of area, Horizontal, not so good.

My Yates (all vertical) some are 4+ years, still working great.

You get what you pay for. The Scythe (NIDEC made) GT's had a MAJOR flood at a BIG NIDEC plant in Thailand, major flooding. If they made the fans, your 1 year easy from seeing the cheap prices (already at a premium) etc.....

LED is not performance. You choose...........

You NEED to get away from NewEgg for fans. You need to learn about the stores that cater to folks like us.

Your moving past the cows that follow the herd now.

Jabtech
Performance PC's
Sidewinder
Some others too.

In the WC sub forum inthe stickies is a list of MANY worldwide stores. I suggest you head there and maybe find a EU store.
Your friend in the US will have to handle all warenntee work and issues if USA purchased. Sorry you live in the EU, learn to deal with it. Many do. Be happy you got free health care..........

Due to cut in budget I am now buying the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, anyone know if a push/pull setup will really help? I saw people complaining that they only got 1-2C difference.

Conundrum, so if Id put Sleeve fans on a heatsink, that wouldn't matter, because they'd be vertical right? And what do you mean with the Nidec and Scythe stuff that I should get these instead if I am going for a push/pull config?

I will have a look at these other websites, why not buy from Newegg if they offer the lowest price on the item I want?

And finally :p about the warranty, isn't it just about shipping the stuff back to their address (the address of the manufacturer) and sending some emails? Thanks!

Push-pull will help a bit, but not much. A better bet is to replace the fan with a single Sanyo Denki 120mm*32mm fan, or a comparable Panoflo, and then hook it to a fan controller. It'll give you the same or better performance than push-pull on that cooler. The 212+ is a very good cooler anyways though, so it should really do you well enough with the stock fan.

Sleeve-bearing fans will be fine on a heatsink. Horizontal would be like the top or bottom of your case. Scythe FDB bearing fans are good (slipstreams or kaze models are not as good a choice for heatsinks, but they're fine for case fans), and so are Nidec-made fans (IIRC Panoflo is all Nidec now as well as the Gentle Typhoons).

The other websites listed will often be lower in price than Newegg, and they offer a better choice of Good fans versus flashy nonsense. Performance-pcs offers interesting sleeving/adapter options for their fans as well, and sidewinder is just a great place to pick up cooling parts and cables. Jab-Tech & SVC also have good fan selections. I'm not really a "fan" [lol] of FrozenCPU (it wasn't mentioned, but it's another source that pops up occasionally).

Most companies will have warranty options in Europe, and you'd likely send them there. One or two may require you to ship them back to the states. Be careful shipping undeclared parts overseas. If customs catches you... well, it wouldn't be great.

Why? Isnt Zalman a good brand? The CNPS10X's have got pretty decent reviews. I am probably going to use a Antec 900 case. Is that big enough to house all these coolers? I know about the Noctua-D14, but it's quite expensive I think. Would you need a high-end/big cooler like that for overclocking an 1090T?
I will have a good look at these coolers when I'm done with my homework :p

Zalman isn't nearly as bad a brand (to me at least) as Thermaltake. Their workmanship is generally impeccable, but their prices tend to be high for the performance. They are great "bling" coolers though, in that they look very good.

Is that prolimatech megahelms a heatsink only? I couldnt see fans on it. If it is, would that be good with 2 of these (in push-pull configuration?) http://www.alternate.nl/html/shop/productDetails.html?artno=tl9m07 / http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=4355. They are supposed to be silent, wont that mean that they have a lot less performance?

Would that be a good deal?

The Megahalems doesn't come with any fans; heatsink only. For a place on your side of the big pond, look at Aquatuning for your fans. They sell Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans there at decent pricing and the GT is one of my favorite fan choices for a good heatsink or radiator fan. I like the AP-15 models best, as they have decent cfm and static pressure for the dBA ratings.

Push/Pull on the Megahalems makes it a monster. Those fans are "adequate", I'm sure their CFM numbers are not accurate as well as the noise level, but really... anything in Push/Pull is going to be a plus for cooling.

Sorry to say, but the Megahalems is being handily outclassed by numerous heatsinks nowadays. Their new Genesis heatsink is loads better. Your other choices are all better than the Mega (except possibly the Xigmatech, which I've never had any experience with).

Well I changed my CPU cooler to the Hyper 212 Plus. Mainly because of it's great reviews, price and performance. I now have more money to spend on other parts. U won't be overclocking to the limit. Is the 212+ good?

It's a good price/performance cooler. It's about equal to a Megahalems in cooling power in my experience. As long as you aren't going for a max overclock you should be happy with it.

Nice :) Will I be able to get a 5GHz overclock with it? Or is that too high, or does it depend on the batch of the processor. Do you know what I could expect with that cooler and a i5 2500k? Thanks :)

5GHz is asking a lot out of a 2500k for 24/7 clocks, no matter the cooling. You will have to get a very good proc to do that and with the vcore you will most probably need, I doubt the Hyper 212+ would deal with it well. But it should be able to handle a 4.5-4.7 overclock with no problems I would think.

Alright, the difference between 4.7 and 5 is that really big? Doesn't really sound like a whole lot. Also, what is this about 24/7 OC? Can you actually clock your CPU lower and when you start gaming overclock it again? Wouldn't this be much better than a 24/7 overclock? Or would I miss a lot of performance in browsing etc.

Back