• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help on deciding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

radi4fun

hi guys,

I need help on deciding on whether i should keep my brand new Q6600 that i just pulled out a a brand new PC that was never even turned on. Its SLACR G0 stepping with L807A614 batch number. I've seen a lot of L7XX batch numbers but i've never seen any 1 OC'ing a L8xx batch number. i'm guessing this might be one of the last batch numbers before the L9xx kicks in.

I was wondering if i should keep this, or sell this chip for like 150 bucks or so and add like 30 more bucks towards buying an E8600 E0 "Extra Spicy saucy curry" and OC that one to like hopefully 4.5Ghz on air. what are your guys inputs? if you were in my position what would you do?

I will be parring either of the chips to a Maximus Formula II when newegg has them on sale as "open Box" for $134 bucks again. just waiting on that deal lol... and if i run out of patients i'll just get the P5Q Deluxe for $124. I'll have 500GB SG 7200.11 Barracuda HDD, and MSI 3870X2 all hooked up to hopefully a 24" refurb monitor or maybe a new 22" monitor around $230. oh and i will not be planning on doing another upgrade for like 3-4 years.

I don't play no hardcore games or nothing. I like to play BF2 here and there and some latest racing games like GRID and NFS series and that's about it. i don't do no video encoding or none of that stuff, i don't even know what that means lol, but i do download movies and watch them. No photoshop or making sigs or anything like that anymore either. So... what do you guys think i should do? keep the Q6600 an see if i can go beyond the magic number of 3.6Ghz and hope for like 3.8 or so on AIR cooling? or will a E8600 ES with 4.5Ghz (crossing my fingers) would out do the q6600 for an average person like me?

hi guys,

I need help on deciding on whether i should keep my brand new Q6600 that i just pulled out a a brand new PC that was never even turned on. Its SLACR G0 stepping with L807A614 batch number. I've seen a lot of L7XX batch numbers but i've never seen any 1 OC'ing a L8xx batch number. i'm guessing this might be one of the last batch numbers before the L9xx kicks in.

I was wondering if i should keep this, or sell this chip for like 150 bucks or so and add like 30 more bucks towards buying an E8600 E0 "Extra Spicy saucy curry" and OC that one to like hopefully 4.5Ghz on air. what are your guys inputs? if you were in my position what would you do?

I will be parring either of the chips to a Maximus Formula II when newegg has them on sale as "open Box" for $134 bucks again. just waiting on that deal lol... and if i run out of patients i'll just get the P5Q Deluxe for $124. I'll have 500GB SG 7200.11 Barracuda HDD, and MSI 3870X2 all hooked up to hopefully a 24" refurb monitor or maybe a new 22" monitor around $230. oh and i will not be planning on doing another upgrade for like 3-4 years.

I don't play no hardcore games or nothing. I like to play BF2 here and there and some latest racing games like GRID and NFS series and that's about it. i don't do no video encoding or none of that stuff, i don't even know what that means lol, but i do download movies and watch them. No photosop or anything like that either. So... what do you guys think i should do? keep the Q6600 an see if i can go beyond the magic number of 3.6Ghz and hope for like 3.8 or so on AIR cooling? or will a E8600 ES with 4.5Ghz (crossing my fingers) would out do the q6600 for an average person like me?

The P45 chipset is good for overclocking quads, so I would say that the combination of that and a 45nm would be a good deal, and a lasting investment. The Q6600 is really old and not as overclockable as the q9*** series on air. If you download movies and want to eventually convert to dvd or other file formats, that would be considered video encoding. Also you can convert your dvd collection to .avi format. Quads are more capable for that, and with a decent clock are just as usable for gaming as an e8600 oc'ed. Good luck on finding that open box maximus ii formula, because I was looking for that too but eventually caved!

eventually caved? i'm just reading all this Intel dropping its prices on the quad cores so much and stuff, so i was wondering if i can get the q6600 off of my hand at a good price of maybe $150-140 and get the E8600 ES. also in near future, like in a month or two if i get lucky i might get another Q6600, but not sure. i just wished i had a MB and some ram that i can test this Q6600's OC capabilities and see whats the vid on it. hum... i wonder if i can send this chip to a very reputable member of the forum and ask him/her to test the chip for me...willing to pay shipping on both ends. argggg i hate making this big decisions. and darn newegg, hurry up and have another maximus formula ii as open box again.

I wish I had known about the open-box Max 2 Form for that price. I just bit on the P5Q-Deluxe for $124 the other day.

You seem to be a deal hunter like me. Why the E8600? The E8400 E0 should OC about the same. 500FSB shouldn't be too hard on either of those mobos, and 9x500 = 4.5GHz.

Otherwise, as you mentioned, the prices on the Q9550 and Q9650 are about to drop.

lol we're in the same boat here. i work hard for my money, so i look for the best possible deal out there. i'm hoping that i can get rid of this new Q6600 for like 160-150 bucks, (i need to post it up on the classifieds soon, my tired behind if too lazy after a days work to take pics and put it up lol) i don't like selling on ebay cause ebay charges too much for all their postings and fees and crap. any of you guys sold stuff through Amazon? how good it that? better than ebay?

Why sell the Quad? I think a new Q6600 will give you as much performance as the Core 2 architecture is gonna give you. If you really want to get extra juice, there will be the core Lynnfield out end 2009. Those are going to be cheap quad cores with hyper threading.

-D

hum... after this Monday when intel drops the prices on the high end quad core, i am hoping that i might get to snatch the Q9550 for 200 bucks or a tab bit more for a used one.

ya the only reason i want to get rid of the Q6600 is that it won't hit 4.0, almost 90% of them stop at 3.6Ghz on air, and i'm guessing mine is not special cherry popper that can do 4.0Ghz on air lol... on the other hand the Q9550 can definitely hit 4.0Ghz on Air, and that can compete with 4.5Ghz E8x00 cpu's.

oh i'm just looking to get a new system altogether and don't plan to upgrade for another 2-3 years most likely.

ya the only reason i want to get rid of the Q6600 is that it won't hit 4.0, almost 90% of them stop at 3.6Ghz on air, and i'm guessing mine is not special cherry popper that can do 4.0Ghz on air lol... on the other hand the Q9550 can definitely hit 4.0Ghz on Air, and that can compete with 4.5Ghz E8x00 cpu's.

Yeah, I think that was sort of what I was trying to say in my first reply. I meant that I eventually caved and paid full retail price for the M2F rather than waiting around for it to come on newegg open box. That Q9550 will treat you good, I don't know why but I've alway sort of been sort of anti-q6600.:)

lol anti-q6600 :p i'm sure there is nothing wrong with them. i bet i won't even be able to tell the difference between a 3.6Ghz Q6600 and 4.0ghz Q9550 on real world applications and games. but for some reason, i just have this itch that keeps bugging the crap out of me to get something that gets to 4.0Ghz on air easily.

Besides the speed, the 45nm quad runs so much cooler...especially the E0 stepping. In the summer time it makes a huge difference. With the Q6600 quite often my legs would sweat w/ my PC under my desk at 3.6GHz. Forget what temp monitors say...you can feel the difference!

Things might change after I get my new Max 2 Form, though, as I'll be pushing for more speed.

Back