• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help on my CPU!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jefffay9

Hey so I recently upgraded my Video Card from Nvidia 9800GT to a EVGA GTX 550Ti. Since around that time my computer has been having several issues. Periodically while doing multitasking my extra D:\ while disappear. I tried replacing the drive with another but, the issue was not resolved. On top of that I've had memory issues. I have 2x4 DDR 3 sticks but, my machine will only work while using 2x2. I'm hoping it's the power supply causing the issues as it is the cheapest to replace. Any thoughts on what it could be?

System Settings

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
128GB SSD
2TB HDD
ASUS P8P67 LE REV 3 Intel P67 LGA1155
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM)4.00 GB Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Sparkle Computer Corp PS Series 500W PSU

Yes, I would suggest the PSU first. While the wattage is fine, I wouldn't trust that brand.
Look at a similar offering from a company such as Corsair or Seasonic.

As for the memory put in one stick and set that by hand in the bios i.e. voltage and timings for that. After you have done that fire up the PC put all the ram back and run Memtest86 to check it out! AJ. ;)

1,http://www.memtest86.com/

Solved!... some what.

So the issue seems to have been resolved by replacing the PSU. The problem is now my computer seems to be making a very strange sound. It sounds like something is either clipping the fan while its running or an issue with the speakers. Anyone have any thoughts?

I couldn't see any fans being obstructed and unplugged my speaker system entirely. I can send an audio file or video file if anyone is interested.

Send a video file. Have you unplugged the fans to see if one of them is causing the trouble?

Back