• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking a Phenom II X6 1035t

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Istogu

Hi!

I have been considering overclocking my CPU, but am skeptical at the moment. I would like a little guidance, if possible. I have 4gb of DDR3 RAM, an AMD Phenom II X6 1035t CPU, and a GA-78LMT USB3 Motherboard.

Here is some more specific information:

My main question is, how far could I safely push my CPU without running into issues?

Right now, my goal is to try to bump the CPU's speed up to play Dark Souls 3. I also plan to buy some more RAM in the near future.

Thanks in advance.

You will also be limited somewhat by the 4+1 power phase of the motherboard.

his ram specs.........Memory (RAM)

Total Size

4096 MB

Type

Single Channel (64 bit) DDR3-SDRAM

Frequency

669.5 MHz - Ratio 3:10

Timings

9-9-9-24-33-1 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS-tCS-tCR)

Slot #1 Module

G.Skill 4096 MB (DDR3-1337) - P/N: F3-10666CL9-4GBNT

What is the memory specs and CPU cooling specs?

I linked the info to RAM and Hard Drive on the original post, but if you need anything else, could you tell me more specifically, please?

As for cooling, I have a comfortable case that is open on both sides (meaning that my processor is facing a lot of open space). Right on my processor is an AMD DK8-7G52C-A1-GP model CPU fan. Also, on a different part of the case, I have a CoolMax 8025L/12S/OD2 fan. Basically, they're both tiny little fans that look quite similar to this: CoolMax.jpg

tl;dr - Cooling situation is open case, 2 fans and soon, more fans.

You will also be limited somewhat by the 4+1 power phase of the motherboard.

I understand that. It is somewhat unfortunate. Though, I still would like to see how far I can push the sucker without causing any damage, even if the change may not be too significant.

You can probably push 220 on the htt without touching anything else. After that you will need voltage and to drop the buses down. Read some of the 1090t overclock threads and base yourself off of their scaling.

DK8-7G52C-A1-GP

Needs to be replaced. Worry about this cooler before you worry about how many VRMs your motherboard has on it.

Do you have any cash to spend on this maybe? I would like to point you into an AIO liquid cooling setup.

100$ Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3&cm_re=liquid_cooling-_-35-181-103-_-Product

F3-10666CL9-4GBNT

This memory would need a spot fan on it. Probably get a little OC from it. But will require over-volting it. So cooling is a must.

DK8-7G52C-A1-GP

Needs to be replaced. Worry about this cooler before you worry about how many VRMs your motherboard has on it.

Do you have any cash to spend on this maybe? I would like to point you into an AIO liquid cooling setup.

100$ Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3&cm_re=liquid_cooling-_-35-181-103-_-Product

F3-10666CL9-4GBNT

This memory would need a spot fan on it. Probably get a little OC from it. But will require over-volting it. So cooling is a must.

Thank you very much! In that case, I will look into better cooling before trying to overclock.

A $20 hyper 212 will max out that chip and motherboard. You don't need an H100.

Very true, hell my 212 evo has headroom left at 4.2ghz on my FX8320e.

Rather than dumping a ton of cash into a cooling system, I'd recommend starting with a board upgrade and a 212 evo (assuming the 212 fits in your case, and you can swing the funding).

Very true, hell my 212 evo has headroom left at 4.2ghz on my FX8320e.

Rather than dumping a ton of cash into a cooling system, I'd recommend starting with a board upgrade and a 212 evo (assuming the 212 fits in your case, and you can swing the funding).

Alright, I think I will look at that then! Should I be looking for a suitable motherboard that has just a better power phase for overclocking, or is there anything else I need to pay attention to?

Depends you can hit 3.4-3.6ghz on just about any motherboard with those chips so if your goal is higher than that then you need a better board.

Depends you can hit 3.4-3.6ghz on just about any motherboard with those chips so if your goal is higher than that then you need a better board.

I don't think I articulated my recommendation that well. I ment to say start with a better cheep cooler, and go from there. If you have the thermal headroom on the cooler but the board is holding you back, then go for a better board a bit down the road. I would not recommend going the full Monty on the board he has now. Keep it safe and modest to try and prevent letting the blue smoke outta the blue smoke containers.

guys he's gonna be slamming into HTT speed wall hard with 1035T. Now if his motherboard can pull 310Mhz+ HTT speeds then.... while awesome maybe he should see what he can get first before putting money into sinks and such?

guys he's gonna be slamming into HTT speed wall hard with 1035T. Now if his motherboard can pull 310Mhz+ HTT speeds then.... while awesome maybe he should see what he can get first before putting money into sinks and such?

Thats a good point, didn't think about the board's HTT limit.

Most boards even cheap ones can handle 280mhz which is when this chip will run out of everything. He isn't hitting 4ghz on a stock cooler and throw away motherboard. Chip has a 13x multi.

280mhz which is when this chip will run out of everything
You might be surprised at what the unloved locked Thubans can do...

EDIT ADD: I must clarify - Istogu please DO NOT TRY over 1.475v CPU voltage until we sort more out on your system.

Attachments

• 1040Tat4009.png
    1040Tat4009.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
You might be surprised at what the unloved locked Thubans can do...

EDIT ADD: I must clarify - Istogu please DO NOT TRY over 1.475v CPU voltage until we sort more out on your system.

Right so that is a 990fx board with a real cooler. I know what locked thubans can clock to with cooling I have gotten quite a bit higher than that. My statement stands his throw away motherboard and stock cooler will never be pushing 4ghz.

Back