• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking I7 (vcore issues)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weedking

Hey guys first and foremost i wanted to say a massive hello to your community. You guys seem very informative and its been a pleasure reading through some of your advice!

On to my problem

My System as follows

I7 2600k @ 4.6Ghz < this is the issue
Asus P67 Sabertooth
Prolimatech Megahalem Cpu cooler
G skill Ripjaw X DDR 3 @ 1600Mhz
OCZ gold modular 1000w Psu

Right i brought this pack pre overclocked however i beleive my Vcore is well high as its set to 1.425, which worrys me quite a bit as the idle temps are about 28 degrees and 100 per cent load rounds out at about low 80s, I have tried to set the vcore lower however i just end up with crash's. I have heard playing with offset mode might help but i would like further opinions on this and how to use it safely.

my settings in bios

Ai Tweaker

AI Overclock Tuner- Manual
Turbo Ratio - leave this
By all cores - 46
Internal PLL Overvoltage - Enabled
Memory Frequency - 1600mhz

Dram Timing Control - Press Enter
Dram CAS Latency - 10
Dram RAS To CAS Delay - 10
Dram RAS PRE Time - 10
Dram RAS ACT Time - 28

CPU Power Management - press enter
CPU Ratio - 33

Loadline Calibration - Extreme

CPU Voltage - Manual
CPU Manual Voltage - 1.365v - 1.400(max)
DRAM Voltage - 1.560v

CPU Spread Spectrum – Disabled

If anyone can have any input into this i will appreciate it no end.

Kind Regards
W

That is high (1.46). Try enabling PLL override voltage and see if that helps to lower it.

Though Im confused... you say 1.46v yet you have 1.364 set in the bios?

What is your idle voltage? Load voltage?

thanks for the quick reply earthdog, those where just the specs that overclockers uk dialled in when i brought the bundle, however i dont beleive these have been set correctly, problem is i started to see lock ups in game where it would just freeze and i would need to reset the computer, i even had to manually up the vcore from there default setting which was 1.405v to now which i am on 1.420-1.425 stable.

bar the voltage most of those settings are the same which i stated about and i do believe Internal PLL Overvoltage is Enabled
My load temps using hw monitor idle at about low 30s and under full load goes up to the early 80s which sends alarm bells tripping off with my Thermal Radar.

once again thankyou very much for input on the matter.

Last edited:
Thermal radar? YOu have a sabertooth? Raise that value up so the bells stop going off that low. 90C is a good setting.

so in respect do you beleive that a 1.425 vcore is ok for a 2600k @ 4.6ghz (some people say intels specification sheet says that the 2600k is ok for a vcore up to 1.51v.

i just dont want to blow my cpu :(

It wont blow your CPU up, no... 1.4-1.45 is fine 24/7 with temperatures in order. That voltage though seems a bit higher than I have seen for that clockspeed. 1.35v is usually plenty.

problem is i have tried at 1.35v and it either doesnt post to windows or just crash's at my login screen, is it possible i just got a really ****ty chip? i am thinking of just buying another one at this rate cause those voltages worry me from what other people are saying!

Thankyou you have put my mind to rest now, i shall continue with what i have for the time being and either upgrade to an ivybridge or get another sandybridge when it shows sign of degredation.

If anyone else wants to throw a possible solution to drop this vcore please do.

Give these settings a try w/ a Vcore + offset of ~1.35V for a 4.6GHz clock...

Code:
Internal PLL Overvoltage = Auto
LLC = Ultra High
VRM Frequency = 350
Phase Control change to = Extreme
Duty Control change to = Extreme
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage = Enabled
Real-Time Ratio Changes in OS = Disabled (Optional)
Intel® Turbo Boost Tech. = Disabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) = Disabled
C3/C6 State Support = Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor = Disabled
CPU EIST Function = Disabled
Multi-Steps Load-Line = Level 6

... and post the EXACT model of RAM installed (showing rated timings and voltage at the modules rated frequency) including the quantity.

Give these settings a try w/ a Vcore + offset of ~1.35V for a 4.6GHz clock...

Code:
Internal PLL Overvoltage = Auto
LLC = Ultra High
VRM Frequency = 350
Phase Control change to = Extreme
Duty Control change to = Extreme
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage = Enabled
Real-Time Ratio Changes in OS = Disabled (Optional)
Intel® Turbo Boost Tech. = Disabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) = Disabled
C3/C6 State Support = Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor = Disabled
CPU EIST Function = Disabled
Multi-Steps Load-Line = Level 6

Thankyou very much i will try these settings shortly :D , when you say offset do i do + or - ?

ok still have problems, and im not sure if it is my mobo, have got a vcore of 1.385 running @4.6ghz seems stable but i still have the lockups which i think now is attributed to the ram.

The company that sold me the kit told me to change the ram timings to 10-10-10-26 where as i checked the ram and they should be running at 8 - 8 - 8 - 24 @ 1.5v (as per the label on the ram)! could this be of affect and should i revert back to these settings back to what is stated on the ramsticks for my o/c.

I might send the mobo back for RMA if this cant be fixed however i dont think this is the cause of the issue.

also i cleaned my cpu and cooler of thermal paste as it had far to much on it when it was installed and my temps have dropped down to about 24 degrees on the megahalem cooler and under load stays about 55 so this is very bizare.

Please OC community help me...

You could set the voltage for ram a bit higher and see if that works better.
But it does appear your ram is not upto specs. We had this once and it took a year before it became too obvious. New ram immidiately fixed every problem we had.
So better return the ram and get better ones. Besides, your ram should work at the rated specs, if they do not, and the shop tells you to set slower timings, then to me that sounds like the shop want to get rid of you.
Ofcourse if your ram is older and the shop was just helping you then this doesn't count.

Nice Ram i run the same in blue 4x4 = 16gb works well with my i7-2700k here no problems.

i just cannot for the life of me hit even 4.5ghz, i have manually timed in the settings of the ram but everytime i just get full lockups. i have reverted back to stock settings for now untill i can figure out a solution. All my temps are fantastic at quite high vcore so i have no idea why it just wont clock there nor for 4.4ghz. Im guessing its just vcore hungry as when i had 4.6 running at about 1.430-1.435 but after seeing so many people with a much lower volt than that i should surely be able to sort something out?

Can anyone give me some settings to try

I7 2600k (stock settings at the moment)
Sabertooth p67 (latest bios)
G Skill RipjawX 8-8-8-24

Back