• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help overclocking my 4400+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

immigrant

Hello everyone, i am in some desperate need of overclocking assistance.

current setup:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz w/ ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm cooling it
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W
OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) (PC 3200) Dual Channel Memory
OCZ Platinum 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 Dual Channel Memory
(3 GB TOTAL running in dual channel)

i have the system running at 2.4 ghz and i know i can get a better OC ..

can someone suggest an approprate setting for memory timings and some cpu oc'ing suggestions.

thank you in advance!

I would begin by reading this. LINK

Change the HT multi so the result doesn't exceed 1000 by far.
Slowly push the rig by raising 5-10Mhz a time if you do not know the max of your rams and mobo. Test with orthos do shorter tests when it fails take back a bit and do a longer testrun, mark the settings for yourself then give a bit more juice to it.

Welcome to the forums.

Read some of the guides on here, but the general idea is to overclock one part of the system at a time to find their individual max and then put it all together and see if it's stable. So, if you want to find your memory's max, drop the CPU multiplier to 6 and slowly increase the FSB in 5MHz increments, running Memtest for 30 minutes or so to test for errors after each step. Keep doing this until you start getting errors, then bump the memory voltage up a bit and keep going. Don't increase the voltage too much unless you want to cook your memory!

The same idea goes for the CPU and the FSB (adjust your HTT multiplier so that it is around 1000MHz, if it goes too much over it, instability is likely). Carefully monitor your CPU's heat as you increase voltage, personally I don't like seeing 100% load temps go higher than 55C, but that's fairly conservative. Also keep in mind that when you're overclocking your FSB, increasing chipset voltage doesn't always help. Some chipsets hate having their voltage increased and will actually run worse with more voltage. Essentially the idea here is trial and error. Try something out, stress it and see if it fails, if it does, increase voltage and try again.

Lastly, once you think you've got your system overclocked to a nice level (my buddy's 4400+ is at 2.75 but his is a monster overclocker), stress it for 24 hours straight using Orthos, 2x Prime95s, OCCT, or something similar. The idea here is to push your system to its absolute limit in hopes of finding any errors or potential instabilities that may be hiding.

Don't have expectations, have goals. This is because every chip is different and may overclock differently than others. If you don't meet those goals, that's OK! You increased the performance of your chip!

Back