• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some help overclocking my E8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would say your voltage is within the safe window but I wouldn't go higher. The differential you see between what you enter for vcore in bios and what CPU-z reports is due to vdrop. It's normal and natural. It happens to one extent or another on every system but technologies like LLC can offset it.

I would say your voltage is within the safe window but I wouldn't go higher. The differential you see between what you enter for vcore in bios and what CPU-z reports is due to vdrop. It's normal and natural. It happens to one extent or another on every system but technologies like LLC can offset it.

thanks trent i dont play to go higher then 3.5GHz

Merged threads again...kailtlin, its clear that the vcore question has evrything to do with overclocking your e8400. Please stick to one thread for overclocking this cpu.

Also, i beleive the guide i linked has maximums for voltage listed. Have tou read it??

Anyway, werent you just at 4 ghz and 1.344v??? Why are you 500mhz lower with higher voltage now?

These chips are good well past 1.3X volts...a key question, as with any other cpu, what are load temps?

Last edited:
ok so i have an E8400 with a gigabyte motherboard heres the link to my mobo http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-G31M-S2L-rev-10#ov

i put mosfet cooling heatsinks on the VRM. i have everything set to auto in the bios the pc health status in my bios reports a Vcore of 1.380 cpuz reports a vcore of 1.360 v my FSB is 9x390 so im running my cpu at 3.5GHz if i try to set the voltage manualy or to any voltage below the 3.8 the pc reboots back to stock speeds. im just curious to know if its safe to run my cpu at these vcore settings

lastly if my bios says my Vcore is 3.80 then why does cpuz report 3.60 v?

That voltage droop is a load line specification from Intel for durability from voltage spikes.

True, but, she's talking about what the different software is reading... did not mention load...

True, but, she's talking about what the different software is reading... did not mention load...

thanks for all the help so far im at a stable 3.5GHz overclock with a 3.125 vcore in the bios cpuz reports my vcore as 1.28 due to the drop and coretemp says the stock voltage for my chip is 1.3000v so all is well and im happy for now

Cool...why not 4ghz where you were already at???

im afraid if i push 4ghz that my voltage will go to high and either burn out the vrm's or the cpu or psu also seeing as how coretemp reports my vid as 1.3000v i dont think i can go lower then that unless im mistaken

In this very section there is a stickied thread named THE ULTIMATE INTEL THREAD or something along those lines. In it, you will find many different helpful threads including an overclocking guide for c2d(which you have) and c2q(the quad core version of what yoy have). Give it a read, a try, and let us know where you get hung up!

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

Your 'stuck sensor' issue, as you noted in another thread, is at idle. There you already said you reached temps of what, 44c....now you are reaching higher for whatever reason, so, as you knew earlier, its stuck down low, not high. Sensors get more accurate the closer they are to their limit/tjmax.

earthdog it looks like i have a new problem i turned on my pc today and the bios reverted the overclock back to stock speeds i.e. i turned on the pc and it reset the bios overclock settings to disabled. my vcore setting in the bios was set to manual and the vcore was set to 1.325 im guessing the systems doesnt like anything under 1.38 in the bios any ideas

Does your cmos battery need replacing?

not sure when i turn on the pc the gpu fan speeds up and the lights on the usb keyboard blink twice then the pc makes the sound of it rebooring and then when i go into the bios i find the oc settings are set to disable doesnt happen all the time tho

im afraid if i push 4ghz that my voltage will go to high and either burn out the vrm's or the cpu or psu also seeing as how coretemp reports my vid as 1.3000v i dont think i can go lower then that unless im mistaken
You are, or should be, in control of your voltage as yo7 are, or should be, adjusting it manually.

VID is your stock voltage. All you need to worry about is keeping voltage less than 1.4 and temps under 80c or so (they temd to get unstable much more than that iirc).

earthdog it looks like i have a new problem i turned on my pc today and the bios reverted the overclock back to stock speeds i.e. i turned on the pc and it reset the bios overclock settings to disabled. my vcore setting in the bios was set to manual and the vcore was set to 1.325 im guessing the systems doesnt like anything under 1.38 in the bios any ideas
Sound like you arent stable and it kicked it back to stock. Does that bios suppport overclocking profiles? If so, may want to save one. ;)

You are, or should be, in control of your voltage as yo7 are, or should be, adjusting it manually.

VID is your stock voltage. All you need to worry about is keeping voltage less than 1.4 and temps under 80c or so (they temd to get unstable much more than that iirc).

Sound like you arent stable and it kicked it back to stock. Does that bios suppport overclocking profiles? If so, may want to save one. ;)

i dont think so heres a link to a video that shows the various options in my bios maybe this video will help you to help me better

I dont think it does... in that case, write down your settings.. Worst case is you have to put them back in. ;)

Did you test for stability? If so using what? How long.. etc?

CMOS battery isn't a bad place to start if you were stable.

I dont think it does... in that case, write down your settings.. Worst case is you have to put them back in. ;)

Did you test for stability? If so using what? How long.. etc?

CMOS battery isn't a bad place to start if you were stable.

did prime95 both small FFTs and blend for 12 hours each 55c under load on both tests 3.51 GHz

not sure when i turn on the pc the gpu fan speeds up and the lights on the usb keyboard blink twice then the pc makes the sound of it rebooring and then when i go into the bios i find the oc settings are set to disable doesnt happen all the time tho

I had that board and if the overclock is unstable it will boot with stock settings. Give this a try, from what you see in CPU-Z for Vcore then up the Vcore +0.010V, then test and repeat if needed.

I had that board and if the overclock is unstable it will boot with stock settings. Give this a try, from what you see in CPU-Z for Vcore then up the Vcore +0.010V, then test and repeat if needed.

cpuz reports my core voltage as 1.360 the bios has the voltage core set at 3.80

keep in mind i have enzo tech mosfet/vrm cooling heatsinks on each of the mosfets near my cpu

I overclocked that board without VRM heatsinks for 8 years running 24/7, So don't worry. Trust what CPU-Z shows for Vcore. Also try to have the memory speed close to 800 speed or below, 400MHz or below in CPU-Z, just to test if that is the problem. Also try to increase the FSB voltage.

I overclocked that board without VRM heatsinks for 8 years running 24/7, So don't worry. Trust what CPU-Z shows for Vcore. Also try to have the memory speed close to 800 speed or below, 400MHz or below in CPU-Z, just to test if that is the problem. Also try to increase the FSB voltage.

wingman below are pix of my bios showing the stock settings of my cpu and ram before i started to overclock hope these pix will help you guide me to a stable overclock i read the guides and im still confused also the pc booted back to stock again so something isnt
the highest OC speed i can obtain at stable with out burning out or frying my board or my cpu would be apreciated my corsair A70 cpu air cooler with dual 120mm fans in push pull config should handle anything under 4.5
stable IMAG00383.jpg IMAG00384.jpg IMAG00385.jpg IMAG00386.jpg

Back