• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some help overclocking my E8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There are DDR2 800 ram kits that call for 2.1v. I have a set. Corsair XMR2 IIRC.

EDIT: I was wrong. It's XMS2 and it takes 1.8v like you said. It's my g.skill 1200 Pi's that takes 2.1v.

ok so i set the standard ram timing to 4,4,4,12 left the ram voltage alone since i cant change it any how. i set the core voltage to 1.3000 core voltage as reported by cpuz is 1.248 V OC speed is 3510.25MHz am testing in prime95 small FFTs 15 mins in max temp on load is 48 degrees celsius also didnt touch advanced ram timings

What is the Ram speed if you set 2.00 or 2.40?

if i overclock to 3.7 9x412 at 2.00 the ram is set to 824 at 2.40 its set to 989 manual Vcore is set at 1.36875V in the bios

edit i had my ram timings under the standard timing controls tab manually set to 4,4,4,12 and the pc rebooted back to stock settings so im assuming my timings are off because when i set the timings to auto it boots fine at 3.7

heres the timings for my memory tab in cpuz 5,5,5,15,64,2T DRAM FREQUENCY is 494.4MHz FSB:DRAM 5:6 so far it booted into windows fine with these manual timings and ran prime95 both small FFTs and blend but saw 1 error in blend after 10 mins and worker 1 stopped

Last edited:
Kaitlin.... see the spd tab in cpuz? That is how fast your memory should be running and at what timings. Right now, set the timings to auto and LEAVE IT ALONE. Please stop just changing things for giggles. The object, and that guide you need to comprehend, says one thing at a time...

if i overclock to 3.7 9x412 at 2.00 the ram is set to 824 at 2.40 its set to 989 manual Vcore is set at 1.36875V in the bios

edit i had my ram timings under the standard timing controls tab manually set to 4,4,4,12 and the pc rebooted back to stock settings so im assuming my timings are off because when i set the timings to auto it boots fine at 3.7

heres the timings for my memory tab in cpuz 5,5,5,15,64,2T DRAM FREQUENCY is 494.4MHz FSB:DRAM 5:6 so far it booted into windows fine with these manual timings and ran prime95 both small FFTs and blend but saw 1 error in blend after 10 mins and worker 1 stopped

Looks like 824 speed is the closest to DDR2 800 speed.

Kaitlin.... see the spd tab in cpuz? That is how fast your memory should be running and at what timings. Right now, set the timings to auto and LEAVE IT ALONE. Please stop just changing things for giggles. The object, and that guide you need to comprehend, says one thing at a time...

ok i will do one thing at a time

Work on pushing the cpu up. But if you cant lower your memory multiplier then you may be pushing things due to the ram. Something may need to be done there like loosening timings and/or adding voltage..

Work on pushing the cpu up. But if you cant lower your memory multiplier then you may be pushing things due to the ram. Something may need to be done there like loosening timings and/or adding voltage..

i could always consider running lower speed ram such as 533 ram to allow for a better overclock but for now im gonna set the ram to auto and just up my cpu

So there is no way in bios for you to just set the RAM frequency at 533?

Yeah, the system memory multiplier in bios should be the ticket but you say if you try to go lower it won't boot. Do you have the latest bios for the board installed?

i could always consider running lower speed ram such as 533 ram to allow for a better overclock but for now im gonna set the ram to auto and just up my cpu
that would be faster, not (s)lower than what you have...

....yet, you are correct. It would give you more headroom. But, it is what it is. It isnt worth it to buy sticks, particularly for that board.

that would be faster, not (s)lower than what you have...

....yet, you are correct. It would give you more headroom. But, it is what it is. It isnt worth it to buy sticks, particularly for that board.

so far im at 3.7GHz and testing prime95 will test small FFTs and blend for 24 hours each then report back

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, the system memory multiplier in bios should be the ticket but you say if you try to go lower it won't boot. Do you have the latest bios for the board installed?

yes latest bios installed

Buying slower RAM won't solve the problem anyway. What you need to do is to be able to set the starting frequency of the RAM to a slower level that what it's rated for, regardless of whether it's 800 or 666 or 533. I'm thinking some of the multipliers don't work because they don't jive with the FSB frequency range the CPU is capable of working with.

TL;DR

After buying an e8400 from techtweaker, who overclocked the chip to 3.9ghz on an intel board, i went out and bought myself a Biostar TP45HP and two 4gb kits of this memory >> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

I installed the ram and set the ram speed to work at 667mhz (333mhz) with the processor at 1333mhz. overclocked the memory to 890 (445mhz) and changed the voltage from auto for the cpu, NB, and pretty much anything else related to voltage to their default voltage values manually. This was to prevent the board from changing voltages from what it thinks it should be to higher ones which would have problably wore it out alot sooner.

The only thing i know for sure i did not have to raise was cpu voltage (1.3v default) but the only thing i did have to raise was ddr voltage to around 2.0v.

AND ANOTHER THING

Make sure you enable the same kind of power saving settings you would enable for an ivybridge processor when overclocking it. You do not nee the processor running at 4ghz all the time unless you are constantly having the processor compute things ALL THE TIME (like folding@home). Enabling these specific power saving settings will keep the system happily running for years to come as it will bounce between 2-4ghz depending on work load (and its not bad either. does a good job at it for me at least. see for youself).

Just get some good memory like the one i posted a link to. so far, that cpu has been rocking out for about 2-3 years now at 4ghz.

so far im at 3.7GHz and testing prime95 will test small FFTs and blend for 24 hours each then report back

- - - Updated - - -

yes latest bios installed
cool...let us know... and what voltage, memory speed/timings etc. Use yoyr new found skill of posting actual screenshots and nkt screencaps! :)

Buying slower RAM won't solve the problem anyway. What you need to do is to be able to set the starting frequency of the RAM to a slower level that what it's rated for, regardless of whether it's 800 or 666 or 533. I'm thinking some of the multipliers don't work because they don't jive with the FSB frequency range the CPU is capable of working with.
533 = 1066... faster than 400 = 800mhz... :)

Probably should have... we are well past this point. :)

Last edited:
cool...let us know... and what voltage, memory speed/timings etc. Use yoyr new found skill of posting actual screenshots and nkt screencaps! :)

533 = 1066... faster than 400 = 800mhz... :)

Probably should have... we are well past this point. :)

im still testing small FFTs with prime95 in the morning when i wake up i will test with the prime95 blend but before i do i will give you the info you need

- - - Updated - - -

TL;DR

After buying an e8400 from techtweaker, who overclocked the chip to 3.9ghz on an intel board, i went out and bought myself a Biostar TP45HP and two 4gb kits of this memory >> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

I installed the ram and set the ram speed to work at 667mhz (333mhz) with the processor at 1333mhz. overclocked the memory to 890 (445mhz) and changed the voltage from auto for the cpu, NB, and pretty much anything else related to voltage to their default voltage values manually. This was to prevent the board from changing voltages from what it thinks it should be to higher ones which would have problably wore it out alot sooner.

The only thing i know for sure i did not have to raise was cpu voltage (1.3v default) but the only thing i did have to raise was ddr voltage to around 2.0v.

AND ANOTHER THING

Make sure you enable the same kind of power saving settings you would enable for an ivybridge processor when overclocking it. You do not nee the processor running at 4ghz all the time unless you are constantly having the processor compute things ALL THE TIME (like folding@home). Enabling these specific power saving settings will keep the system happily running for years to come as it will bounce between 2-4ghz depending on work load (and its not bad either. does a good job at it for me at least. see for youself).

Just get some good memory like the one i posted a link to. so far, that cpu has been rocking out for about 2-3 years now at 4ghz.

thanks will keep this info in mind right now im still testing under prime95

im still testing small FFTs with prime95 in the morning when i wake up i will test with the prime95 blend but before i do i will give you the info you need
You could just test with Blend if leaving the PC on while you sleep. Blend test everything.

Back