• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some help overclocking my E8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You could just test with Blend if leaving the PC on while you sleep. Blend test everything.
below are the screenshots you requested so far no errors in small FFTs will test blend in a bit pc health status says my core voltage is Vcore 1.380V, everything in the M.I.T. MB Intelligent tweaker is on auto i circled my VID in red just incase

coretemp.JPG cpuz1.JPG cpuz2.JPG cpuz3.JPG realtemp.JPG

Last edited:
been running prime95 blend test for the past 6 hours using the info in the pictures so far no errors and max temp at full load is 54c if i can figure out a way to lower the Vcore for my cpu as well as work on the ram timing all would be well but i will not adjust anything unless you guys tell me to adjust it

That VID reading in Core Temp and Real Temp isn't your current CPU Voltage by the way, that is just the stock voltage as reported by the CPU (what is programmed into it at the factory).

I don't know if that was clear to you or not, as in previous posts you were asking which one to look at.

im afraid if i push 4ghz that my voltage will go to high and either burn out the vrm's or the cpu or psu also seeing as how coretemp reports my vid as 1.3000v i dont think i can go lower then that unless im mistaken

Going below the stock voltage is quite possible, and not a problem as long as the CPU is stable at whatever voltage it is given. On one of my E8400 E0 stepping chips I was running it at 1.1v while overclocked to 3.5GHz even though my stock voltage was 1.2625v. Depends on the CPU, some CPU's can accept running at a voltage sometimes far below the stock voltage while remaining stable.

Last edited:
That VID reading in Core Temp and Real Temp isn't your current CPU Voltage by the way, that is just the stock voltage as reported by the CPU (what is programmed into it at the factory).

I don't know if that was clear to you or not, as in previous posts you were asking which one to look at.

Going below the stock voltage is quite possible, and not a problem as long as the CPU is stable at whatever voltage it is given. On one of my E8400 E0 stepping chips I was running it at 1.1v while overclocked to 3.5GHz even though my stock voltage was 1.2625v. Depends on the CPU, some CPU's can accept running at a voltage sometimes far below the stock voltage while remaining stable.

mine doesnt like going below 3.1000 it seems happy at 3.800 on the vcore but as i said before still testing with prime95 and wont mess with any settings unless instructed to do so by the kind people here who have been helping me

Personally, I think you'd better leave well enough alone. Your vcore is not in the dangerous zone. 1.36-1.38 is as high as I would feel comfortable going but what do you have to lose with an old rig like that anyway? Somehow your 800 mhz RAM is stable at 988 mzh if you are passing hours of Prime95 blend. Did you overvolt the RAM and/or loosen the timings?

Personally, I think you'd better leave well enough alone. Your vcore is not in the dangerous zone. 1.36-1.38 is as high as I would feel comfortable going but what do you have to lose with an old rig like that anyway? Somehow your 800 mhz RAM is stable at 988 mzh if you are passing hours of Prime95 blend. Did you overvolt the RAM and/or loosen the timings?

trent all ram settings are on auto i have no overvolted nor have i messed with the ram timing i wanted to get my cpu speed stable before messing with the ram one thing at a time. i also ran memtest and got no errors on my ram

quick update im having minor issues with the bios sometimes when i boot the pc it loads at the stable 3.7GHz overclock and sometimes it will try to load the OC then reboot to the stock settings im gonna order a new cmos battery to rule that out as the issue also some times if i restart the pc via windows it reboots to the default stock settings

Last edited:
The bios is auto overclocking the voltages for you. I don't think you would see 1.36-1.38 at stock frequency.

Shes talking ram voltages amd timings..she set vcore manually......i think?

So confusing...

Yes ED, you are correct. I glossed over that in her post.

But something is wrong with the RAM voltage reporting. CPU-z SPD shows the stock voltage at 800 mhz to be 1.8. I don't see no way in the world that the RAM would be stable at 988 mhz on only 1.36-1.38 volts.

Kaitlin, are you sure your bios is set to give only 1.36-1.38 volts to the RAM or are you confusing that with CPU vcore?

By the way, are we correct in assuming we are referring to you correctly as "her"? We don't want to insult you by making incorrect assumptions about gender. Some names can go either way and the gender affiliation with any given name can be different from one part of the world to another.

That is her VCORE trents... not her ram voltage at 1.36-1.38. Look at the CPUz screenshots scattered throughout the thread. :)

Who knows... if Kaitlin is a male, he/she can correct me... but I recall her saying something in one of her many threads about being a female.

I'm confusing myself now it seems. But I find this interesting from Kaitlin's post #39. Apparently the bios automatically overvolts the RAM when overclocking. I can't remember ever seeing this setting in a bios before. In my experience Auto overclocking wizzards usually downclock the RAM. It's cheap Nanya RAM too. It's doing rather well.

Kaitlin, gives us a shot from the bios tab screen that shows running voltages, fan speeds, temps, etc. PC Health tab?

Attachments

• RAM voltage.PNG
    RAM voltage.PNG
    118.9 KB · Views: 37
It is quite typical, for settings left on auto and overclocking, for the bios to raise voltages. It does this with Vcore all the time. I have seen it enough with RAM to know it happens as well. She hasn't posted up anything yet as far as ram voltages, but I am betting its at at least 1.8V... likely 1.85V+. Ram really doesn't seem to be the issue here if its passing P95 blend so I am unsure as to why we are traveling down that road. :)

As far as those options... that is what some cheap boards gave you back in the day. Low medium and high, essentially. ;)

Why we are traveling down that road? I'm not sure either. I think Kaitlin needs to sit tight. The board has some limitations in regard to bios adjustment options and it's stable now at a good overclock. Leave well enough alone was my advice to her.

Did you try all the ram ratios to lower the speed of the ram so it is closer to 400Mhz in CPU-Z?

Yes... she did. See earlier posts. :)

1.6 was the lowest and would not boot for whatever reason.

Yes ED, you are correct. I glossed over that in her post.

But something is wrong with the RAM voltage reporting. CPU-z SPD shows the stock voltage at 800 mhz to be 1.8. I don't see no way in the world that the RAM would be stable at 988 mhz on only 1.36-1.38 volts.

Kaitlin, are you sure your bios is set to give only 1.36-1.38 volts to the RAM or are you confusing that with CPU vcore?

By the way, are we correct in assuming we are referring to you correctly as "her"? We don't want to insult you by making incorrect assumptions about gender. Some names can go either way and the gender affiliation with any given name can be different from one part of the world to another.

trents all options for overclocking in the bios are set to auto the only option set to manual is the FSB which i have set at 9x412

- - - Updated - - -

Did you try all the ram ratios to lower the speed of the ram so it is closer to 400Mhz in CPU-Z?

wingman as i stated in my last post yesterday i have not messed with the bios at all since testing stable in prime95 will not mess with settings in bios unless instructed to do so by this forum

i just wanna say how much apreciate all the help you guys are giving me even if im a pain in the *** sometimes and for those who ask you can refer to me with female pronouns

You didnt touch your cpu voltage?? It was on auto as well????? Its supposed to be done on manual...it is a basic premise of the guide!!!!!!!! Auto tends to use more voltage than needed which is why all guides say to do it manually.

You have to change that system voltage control to manual, then you can adjust voltages.

You didnt touch your cpu voltage?? It was on auto as well????? Its supposed to be done on manual...it is a basic premise of the guide!!!!!!!! Auto tends to use more voltage than needed which is why all guides say to do it manually.

You have to change that system voltage control to manual, then you can adjust voltages.

ok well for 3.7ghz what voltage setting should i set my vcore to righty now its set to 3.8

i turned on my pc for the first time today and it booted into stock settings and disabled the overclock

edit im testing my overclock at 3.25 volts on the vcore will report back in a bit

20 mins in blend and 20 mins in small FFTs at 3.25 volts on the vcore havent tested lower but so far its stable no errores

edit still having the reboot issue i left my pc turned off for over 3 hours and when i turned it back on it booted into windows with the stock cpu settings overclock disabled other bios settings remain unchanged its only the overclock settings that are affected

Last edited:
Back