• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Overclocking P4T-E...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

im0y

Registered
I had my P4T-E system for a while now. It has a P4 1.6A running at 136 FSB and a two double sided Samsung PC800 RDRAM running at 3x. My problem is this... for the longest time, I can't run my memory at 4x and have to keep it at 3x, or else I get those looooong beeeps.

Now that I have extra money and thinking that I got hosed with my old memory, I bought another pair of .Samsung PC800 from Googlegear. I tried running it at 4x, but it still didn't work. So I returned it and bought a second pair of Samsung PC1066 from Newegg. However, this didn't work at 4x also.

I would really appreaciate if someone could tell me what am I doing wrong or what can I do so I could run my memory at 4x.

rdram clock generators

greetings,

I have a P4T-E with single sided Samsung PC800 RIMMS. While I had hoped to run my memory at 4x, the ceiling appears to be at 120MHz (480MHz FSB). The problem you are experiencing is most likely due to the design limit of the the RIMM clock generators and not your memory. At some point, there was a great article posted at Ace's hardware (www.aceshardware.com) that addressed this issue.

Toast

Thanks for replying Toast...

I heard others say that the double-sided, single-density Samsung RDRAM modules are the best for overclocking. I don't know how true is this.

Also, I'm not sure what do you mean by 120MHz (480MHz FSB)? I'm currently running at 136MHz (544MHz FSB) using dip switches, but I can't run my memory at the same speed or 4x (544MHz x 2 = PC1088). I have to use 3x so it is not being overclock (136 x 3 = 408MHz) and remains at PC800 speed (408MHz x 2).

So are you saying run my FSB down to 120MHz so I can run my memory at 4x?:confused:

Unfortunately, I was not very clear in my response. To clarify, the highest I can run my RIMMS at 4x is 120MHz FSB which translates into 480MHz MEM, or PC960. In order to hit 133FSB I had to reduce the multiplier to 3x.

While I have seen several people indicate that the double sided RIMMS are more overclockable, I tend to think the dominate constraint is the tolerances on the memory clock generators.

I have a 1.8A purring away at 2.4GHz/533FSB/400MEM at default voltage. Thats value.

Toast

I greatly believe to the value that I could get from overclocking my rig even if my memory is not at 4x speed. I just wanted to get more value out of it by overclocking my memory because PC1066 RDRAMs are just too expensive.

Also, what do you think about those people claiming their system is overclocked to 2.X GHz (more than 120MHz FSB) while their memory is at 4x, and some even with turbo on?

Sorry if it seems like I'm bothering you...:)

im0y,

Yes, higher overclocks are possible, even with the 4x memory multiplier. If your question is, what is the probability of realizing that, I do not know. The overclockers database is a great source of information to explore those types of "what if's".

Toast

im0y said:
Also, what do you think about those people claiming their system is overclocked to 2.X GHz (more than 120MHz FSB) while their memory is at 4x, and some even with turbo on?

There are actually a lot of people that have overclocked to more than 120 FSB w/ 4x mem and turbo on. As Toast said, most of it has to do w/ the clock generators. Asus used two different clock generators on the P4T-E. If you have DRCG's made by CYS (you can tell by looking at your mother board) then you are most likely out of luck. Asus also used ICS DRCG's which is what everyone, including myself, is using to overclock to higher than 120. I currently have my computer (read the sig) at 136 FSB with double sided Samsung pc800 rimms w/ turbo enabled.

If I had to bet, I would say you have a board w/ the CYS clock gens. There were a WHOLE lot of posts on the forums about 6 months ago on this subject. You shouldn't have any problem finding some threads if you search for them. Another good of info in on the forums at asusboards.com.

Thanks for both of your comments...

I checked the clock generators that my mobo has and now I know that I have the bad ones.

I guess my new question now is if I wanted to buy, lets say a Asus P4t533, can I still use it and overclock my 1.6A P4 with the memory at 4x as if its in a P4t-e mobo with good clock generators? I still wanted to save money... so if I'm going to buy a new mobo, I want one that has the new features because I'll keep it for a while. I'll just use my old cpu and memory and overclock them. What do you guys think...

keep your setup

im0y,

When I put my system together, I hoped to run my memory at PC1066 also. Unfortunately, in the game of overclocking, that just was not realized. On the flip side, I was very pleased with the ability of the P4 1.8A to run at 2.4GHz. That in itself was worth several hundred dollors.

My recommendation to you is to hang on to your setup. More than likely, a migration to the P4T533 will provide minimal gains.

Toast

Thats true, gains would be minimal. But it would be a good first step to an upgrade if you're mem can handle 1066. On my board the only thing holding me back was the kingston mem. But if you have the CYS gen than going to the new board would afford you to upgrade slowly.

Good luck.

Back