• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help Overclocking phenom 965be

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kelbokas

Registered
hi im trying oc and im prety green in this =DD fresh new ... =D um all i did is just made auto voltage or something of in bios and made 1.4500 v um and made multi to 18 freecuency to 200 and temps are good idle 32 load prime95 almost 20mins no errors 51-52 temp ( not using full potential of culler yet only one fan instead of 2) problem is that coretemp and cpuz shows my freec 199.56 instead of 200 is it fine ? plus i would like to have atleast 3.8 what should i do if u need bios photos just say it =D um my pc is in sig i gues (only i use ssd pyro 120gb for os storage now) um + memory i made 667 i gues 1333 while real is 1600mhz i remember somthing is going up in memory when oc'ing so i made some room to go my mobo is **** probably but could i get it to 3.8 atleast?

2l8dh68.jpg

+ not sure why but in like 20-25 in prime my 4 core is runing 4test while 1,2,3 runs 8 so 4core is like 4tests under (it works slower) but in first 15 mins it was ahead of all for like 2-3 tests this looks like some unstable thing for me ....

well ok now im at multi of 19 and having 3.8ghz Vid 1.475v probably i could do even 1.45 well anyway prime 95 on stress test for max heat runs max on 55C even if it shows 56C but as much as i look it always 55C seems to be more stable then before in first 10mins but cpuid shows that core voltage is 1.544v what i dont like well speed fan shows Vcore at 1,54v core temp at 55C and procesor temp at 59C 108ib0l.jpg

few more things im interested is the mothearboard temperature how to monitor what it is what is max and so... and how much i could go with this motherboard

++ after 25mins of prime temps are stable 55C as in screens and cores seems to work bether then before like there is only 1 test difference from 4 core to other 3 cores wile it was way bigger before in the same time

photo of test option i use in prime 95 11j4pbn.jpg

++ in bios i made overcloack not auto but with frecuency adjustable i left it 200 and it now shows 200 in cpuid ++ i lovered Vid to 1.45 in bios and its now 1.51 in vcore any more sugestions? and tips ? + ( i understand i see your coments mostly tomorow coz im from europa thanks in forward ) =}

++ after like 7 mins core temp is around 52-53 what is prety good i gues probably if i add another fan it rufly get to 50 + while my room temp is around 25C um and pc is under table with low space but open side (its not noisy i bearely hear it (hadd works loadest and gpu when i burn it with furmark ) but under table is biger temp then in room coz of air cant get out far well i add 10mins photo from prime and leaving it for another hour or too =D

25sudth.jpg

wel after prime for over 55 mins temps ware max at 55-56C but ussually at 53C all the time intesive using pc game+internet browsing facebook youtube and others multi windows ****s =DD

++ after hour it seems to be really stable all core same number of tests almost same test counting speed ....

Last edited:
ok after being stable with last setings i ajusted Vid to 1.4375 v vcore is 1.5 and after 21min of prime95 i got error on 4th core
"FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.494140625, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file."
also temps are now 50C

You're vcore shows higher in Windows reporting software most likely because of LLC (Load Line Calibration) supplementing the vcore. You may or may not have a bios setting for this that will allow you to either enable/disable it or make some adjustment to it. It's actually a good thing when adjusted properly because it allows you to get by with less vcore when not under load but when under load helps keep the system stable.

Also, I would suggest disabling Cool N Quiet and C1E in bios and then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configuring it to High Performance in order to turn off all the green stuff that causes wild frequency and voltage fluctuations. This can help with stability in the higher overclock ranges.

In addition, I would suggest overclocking the CPUNB frequency and voltage. Bump the CPUNB frequency (may be called just NB in your bios) to 2400 and the voltage to 1.225. This will help with memory performance and may also enhance stability. Sometimes a little extra CPUNB voltage can help you get by on less vcore.

Please consider using HWMonitor instead of Speedfan to report temps and voltages. I think you will find it more useful and reliable.

Please show us pics of CPU-z tabs "Memory" and "SPD".

Your core temps at 55c are at about the max that CPU will handle and still be stable. That CPU cooler has very tightly packed plates and would benefit from either a push-pull fan setup or a high static pressure push fan. I would also suggest removing the cooler and redoing the thermal paste application. Clean the two surfaces well first using paper coffee filters. Coffee filters have a hard sheen and don't leave as much lint behind as does soft cloth or tissue or paper towels. start with dry filters and finish up with one moistened with a little rubbing alcohol. The apply the paste in two thin lines across the pipes like my attachment shows so as to divide the bottom area in to roughly three equal sections. These exposed heat pipe coolers often benefit from this type of thermal paste application as opposed to the "blob in the center" method because the ridges and valleys on the bottom can block the spread of the paste.

Attachments

• pipes.JPG
    pipes.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
You're vcore shows higher in Windows reporting software most likely because of LLC (Load Line Calibration) supplementing the vcore. You may or may not have a bios setting for this that will allow you to either enable/disable it or make some adjustment to it. It's actually a good thing when adjusted properly because it allows you to get by with less vcore when not under load but when under load helps keep the system stable.

Also, I would suggest disabling Cool N Quiet and C1E in bios and then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configuring it to High Performance in order to turn off all the green stuff that causes wild frequency and voltage fluctuations. This can help with stability in the higher overclock ranges.

um C&Q is turrent off all the time for LLC im not sure im new to this i will ad photos from bios to you power in CP is always hight performance
http://imageshack.us/g/824/20120712869.jpg/ link to my bios photos i will soon ad you other photos u asked ++ i just today aded termal paste on cooler and cpu ysed Tmp-1000 30% silver i spread it on cooler and small dot on cpu (on cooler to fill gaps ) i gues it should be just fine well after i made Vid to 1.4375 it temps droped as i wrote in top um now photos for cpuid and i will download your monitoring sugestion
29crqyo.jpg

++ in photos i ware using and hw monitor ;)
+-+ my ram are 1600mhz i just lovered them coz amd cpu is using 1333bus only anyway + i gues it uses bigger when boost the cpu frequency

Last edited:
Holy crap thats some crazy voltage, I could see 1.5ish if your were at 4+ghz but either way your coretemp is so close to the limit that you probably won't be getting any higher until you get your voltage issues straightened out. once you hit 55c on the cores stability goes out the window

Please go back and reread my post as I have added to it.

I think your cheap $5 case is also contributing to higher than needed temps. How many case fans are installed and where are they located? How big are the fans? How do you have them arranged as to intake and exhaust? Good case ventilation is crucial to keeping temps down. You need to get rid of hot air coming off the motherboard and the CPU cooler or it builds up and you are trying to cool the cooler with warm air.

Holy crap thats some crazy voltage, I could see 1.5ish if your were at 4+ghz but either way your coretemp is so close to the limit that you probably won't be getting any higher until you get your voltage issues straightened out. once you hit 55c on the cores stability goes out the window

um yea i knew im new to it and i dont knew how to handle the vcore for now but i gona do something on it for sure

Please go back and reread my post as I have added to it.

I think your cheap $5 case is also contributing to higher than needed temps. How many case fans are installed and where are they located? How big are the fans? How do you have them arranged as to intake and exhaust? Good case ventilation is crucial to keeping temps down. You need to get rid of hot air coming off the motherboard and the CPU cooler or it builds up and you are trying to cool the cooler with warm air.

i read what u wrote um gona try the sugested voltage adjustment but what should i do for cpu voltage lover it more?
http://imageshack.us/g/13/20120712875.jpg/ here side panels are always of i have 90mm fan in back and 120mm in power suplay everything else u see

Last edited:
First of all, I think you should start over and begin the overclocking with stock CPU voltage and stock multiplier setting. Increase the CPU multiplier .5x at a time until you cannot pass a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. This will tell you how far you can get on stock voltage. Then bump the CPUNB voltage up to 1.225 an the vcore up by .025. Retest again with Prime95 for 20 minutes. If you pass the test, start increasing the multiplier by .5x increments again. Do it in little steps like this, only adding vcore when necessary to pass the Prime test. Stop adding vcore when your max vcore under load reaches 1.525 or when core temps begin to exceed 55c. Your motherboard does not have heatsinks on the mosfets and will not stand a lot of vore.

You should be able to get that CPU to 3.8 ghz with vcores under 1.5 when loaded.

First of all, I think you should start over and begin the overclocking with stock CPU voltage and stock multiplier setting. Increase the CPU multiplier .5x at a time until you cannot pass a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. This will tell you how far you can get on stock voltage. Then bump the CPUNB voltage up to 1.225 an the vcore up by .025. Retest again with Prime95 for 20 minutes. If you pass the test, start increasing the multiplier by .5x increments again. Do it in little steps like this, only adding vcore when necessary to pass the Prime test. Stop adding vcore when your max vcore under load reaches 1.525 or when core temps begin to exceed 55c. Your motherboard does not have heatsinks on the mosfets and will not stand a lot of vore.

You should be able to get that CPU to 3.8 ghz with vcores under 1.5 when loaded.

well i did what u said before to NB stufs but it was posible only 1.25v not 1.225 lower step was only 1.175 or so um and for the stock cpu voltage it was 1,4500 and in last test i was using it as 1.4375 so its lower then stock while oced ...

1.25v should be fine for the CPUNB and that should allow you to put the CPUNB frequency up to 2400-2600 mhz by increasing the CPUNB multiplier to 12x or 13x.

You have a hefty amount of LLC going on.

1.25v should be fine for the CPUNB and that should allow you to put the CPUNB frequency up to 2400-2600 mhz by increasing the CPUNB multiplier to 12x or 13x.

You have a hefty amount of LLC going on.
ok sory but im not that good at these short terms =D as i said im noob =D in this i will make you more photos in bios that u could understand what im able of
http://imageshack.us/g/525/20120712876.jpg/ photo album of what i can do there + i can ajust cpu frequency in top atm it is 200

+ i find a wery good monitoring program "Speccy" it shows everything even motherboard temperatures every core whole info and stuff 29fcx7p.jpg
anyway im not hapy with my vcore of 1.5 while in bios it is onlu 1.4375 what can i do to fix this?

after last setings prime95 runing 1:27 almost 1and 1/2 hours no errors Vid was set to 1.4375 and others as mentioned gona try loverind Vid more to 1.4 should lover Vcore then i gues and if it works i will try mess up with frequency from 200 to 210 or 220 should get close to 4ghz

Last edited:
anyway im not hapy with my vcore of 1.5 while in bios it is onlu 1.4375 what can i do to fix this? = That question was already mentioned when 'trents' asked if you had the bios menu for LLC? He said to you that LLC is used to add Vcore under load. That feature will add Vcore under load and normally allow lower voltage to cpu when not loaded.

You said you were not familiar with the term so you would post pictures of bios so we could see what settings you actually have to choose from. Have not seen bios pictures yet.

Are there more items below HT Bus Width in the bios? I'm still looking for LLC. You need to realize tht LLC can be your friend. If in fact you need 1.5+ vcore to get you stable at a given overclock than LLC can give you that without having to run 1.5+ vcore when you are not under load. If you do not have the option to change the LLC setting in bios you are stuck with what amount of it ASRock built into the bios. Your only other option would be to lower the vcore in bios so that the amount LLC adds to that still keeps you under 1.5 vcore. Whether or not you use LLC, it will still take the same vcore to keep your system stable under load.

Looks like you found the HT Link multiplier. The HT Link frequency is the product of the FSB and whatever mulitiplier. Since you are using the stock FSB of 200 mhz then the HT Link frequency would be 2400 (200x12) if you choose 12x and it would be 2600 if you choose 13x (200x13).

One thing that is hampering your overclock effort is your motherboard. The 770/710 chipset is not that stout from a power regualation standpoint and this forces the use of more vcore in order to cover the fluctuations. It will also be a hot running motherboard becaue of a lack of heatsinks on the mosfets and VRMs and because of small heatsinks on the Northbridge and Southbridge chips.

anyway im not hapy with my vcore of 1.5 while in bios it is onlu 1.4375 what can i do to fix this? = That question was already mentioned when 'trents' asked if you had the bios menu for LLC? He said to you that LLC is used to add Vcore under load. That feature will add Vcore under load and normally allow lower voltage to cpu when not loaded.

You said you were not familiar with the term so you would post pictures of bios so we could see what settings you actually have to choose from. Have not seen bios pictures yet.

so u should check links i aded coz that are links to photo albums m8 no need to be so ruide

Are there more items below HT Bus Width in the bios? I'm still looking for LLC. You need to realize tht LLC can be your friend. If in fact you need 1.5+ vcore to get you stable at a given overclock than LLC can give you that without having to run 1.5+ vcore when you are not under load. If you do not have the option to change the LLC setting in bios you are stuck with what amount of it ASRock built into the bios. Your only other option would be to lower the vcore in bios so that the amount LLC adds to that still keeps you under 1.5 vcore. Whether or not you use LLC, it will still take the same vcore to keep your system stable under load.

Looks like you found the HT Link multiplier. The HT Link frequency is the product of the FSB and whatever mulitiplier. Since you are using the stock FSB of 200 mhz then the HT Link frequency would be 2400 (200x12) if you choose 12x and it would be 2600 if you choose 13x (200x13).

One thing that is hampering your overclock effort is your motherboard. The 770/710 chipset is not that stout from a power regualation standpoint and this forces the use of more vcore in order to cover the fluctuations. It will also be a hot running motherboard becaue of a lack of heatsinks on the mosfets and VRMs and because of small heatsinks on the Northbridge and Southbridge chips.

yea that is what i was afraid the most my mobo is peace of **** ... im looking forward to buy bether one but im student with no work my budget in eastern europe is like week in uk or us 2month in my contry =DDDanyways i try to make as much as i can .... well my pc seems to bee wery stable atm with 3.8 but i left my bro on bc for like few hours and pc was gg.... but while i was on it for like 3-4 h it was perfect so probably my bro ****ed up on it ... anyways thnx for this day im going to sleep now see you all tomorow ;)

You're welcome. By the way, we don't consider an overclocked computer to be stable unless it will pass Prime for at least 2 hrs. Some would say much more than that.

Back