• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robwarrior

Registered
Hello first time planning to overclock. I read and understood most of this guide today. http://www.overclockers.com/step-guide-overclock-amd-phenom/

I have downloaded prime95,cpu-z, 3DMark Vantage, speedfan and i have pcprobe 2 which came with my motherboards cd i also have core temp but i think it gives me false readings on my cpu tempatures because it says 13oc and my other utilities tell me my cpu is running at 30oc.

Here are some pictures of my spec

My goal is to get to 4.2ghz, but i would settle with 4ghz.

I installed an aftermarket heatsink today the hyper 212 evo, but i thought it was odd that the tempature gauges i use are reporting the same tempature around (30c) idle as my stock cooler.

The most frustrating thing for me as an overclocking noob would be reading that guide and understanding most of it then going to my bios and everything is labelled differently :temper:

i have the phenom 2x4 40 processor which is locked.

IT is funny because i bough this iphone 4 recently and it has a digital camera and i could of taken a picture of my bios fore you guys. But i smashed it because i wont support apple and thier illuminati plans (but that is another topic).

Neway i guess this is me admitting i need help and that i am lost and overrun

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 61
  • cpuz main.png
    cpuz main.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 58
  • cpuz mainboard.png
    cpuz mainboard.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 54
  • cpuz memory.png
    cpuz memory.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 56
  • cpuz spd.png
    cpuz spd.png
    18 KB · Views: 61
dw the new cooler makes the cpu sit at same temp 30c when idle but it dsnt go above 45 at max load under prime 95 :)

i see thanks. I still got no idea what to do with my overclocking. I got my cpu running and like 3.5ghz just by increasing the multiplier then i tried to go higher and it was a failed oc. Then i figured i needed to increase the vcore voltage to my cpu to 4.5 or or around there but idk how to do that? Am i on the right track?

Oh no i think i may have urn into the culprit of the problem :( i cant see any vcore voltage options in my BIOS does that mean my motherboard dosnt support raising the vcore?

Don't use Speefan. It's not well-maintained by the author and not as trustworthy, useful or easy to use as HWMonitor.

4.2 ghz on air cooling is probably not a reasonable goal for that CPU. More like 3.8.

In bios you will need to locate the following line items:

1. The control for the FSB (may be called HT Reference, CPU Frequency)
2. The control for the memory speed (may be called something like DRAM Frequency)
3. The control for the CPU core voltage
4. The control for the HT Link Speed (Not HT Link Width)
5. The control for the CPUNB Frequency (May be referred to as just "NB" but not to be confused with the chipset NB).
6. The control for the CPUNB voltage

These are the basic bios overclocking controls you will need to interact with in bios. Hint: You may need to take some things off of "Auto" to see more choices and to be able to enter manual values.

Just a note for the OP... In order to get a screenshot of the active window, use Alt-Prt Scrn, then paste the image. It will save you from all that white space around the useful part. :)

As far as your issue, you are well taken care of already. :)

Thanks everyone for the help and replies. Nice forum so far.

@Trent

i put everything i can in manual underjumpfree configuration in the Bios and here is what i can find

. the control for FSB (cpu frequency) yes
. the control for memory speed/ is this memclock value eg 400mhz,800mhz otherwise idk
.the control for cpu core voltage/ no i cant find this at all i can view it in power settings but i cant find a way to alter it
.the control for htlinkspeed/ is that HT overvoltage?
.the control for cpuNB frequency? yes
.the control for cpu northbride? no

That's a pretty low end budget board and it may not have all those controls I listed. The CPU core voltage not there will be problematic. It may just be termed, "CPU voltage" or "CPU vcore" or "CPU Offset Voltage" or "CPU Over-voltage".

Another issue is the TDP rating of the board. I believe the CPU your are trying to overclock is rated for 95W TDP at stock speeds and voltages. That will go up significantly was you overclock. If your board is only rated for 95W TDP that could be a problem. Do you know that information?

Hey trents thanks for the reply again

yea i thought it might be a lower end board. i managed to find the cpu core voltage, it was labelled as "cpu over voltage". sorry that was confusing for me.

I have the motherboard manual but i am not sure what the TDP rating is sorry.

I will give you and update of where i am at.

I was trying to overclock last night and i tried some1 elses settings and i bit of my own and im at
3.788Ghz
cpu freq:237.0
cpu over boltage(vcore_1.58)
cpu/NB freq 10.00
memclock value 667MHz
running at 54-45c max load under prime95
really happy about this overclock.

Is there anything dangerous about what im doing? My pc will boots most of the time but some of the time it will say "overclock failed press f1 to change settings or f2 to load default" then i go into bios, save the same overclock settings and it boots fine. Here are a few CPU-Z screenshots

Last edited:
memory.png here are the images

Attachments

• memory spd.png
    memory spd.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 42
  • CPU.png
    CPU.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Trents, note the cpu/nb and the ht link speeds, i don't know much about this propus cpu but denab would be very unhappy.

< 3800 Mhz for 1.596Vcore according to CPUz and you write >> "really happy about this overclock."

And then you write in the next sentence >> "Is there anything dangerous about what im doing?" >> That Vcore is only almost 0.075 too high for any speed.

Trents, note the cpu/nb and the ht link speeds, i don't know much about this propus cpu but denab would be very unhappy.

His HT Link speed is very limited by his motherboard chipset, which is actually only rated for 1000 mhz so it's already overclocked from the board's perspective, even though the CPU stock HT Link is 2000 mhz.

The TDP rating might be on the manufacturer's website. Even if it's not specifically stated in the information, you can usually get a good idea by looking at the CPU support list and seeing what the watts rating is for the CPUs its supposed to support. It may be a 125w TDP board.

At 1.58 your CPU voltage is bordering on being dangerously high. Have you done any stress testing with Prime95 blend to see what your max core temps area? If not, I would certainly recommend that. Shut it down if your max core temps exceed 65c or the max CPU socket temps exceed 70c.

tempature goes around 48-58 when i was stress testing it, but i only tested the cpu @ 100 percent for maybe 5min

< 3800 Mhz for 1.596Vcore according to CPUz and you write >> "really happy about this overclock."

And then you write in the next sentence >> "Is there anything dangerous about what im doing?" >> That Vcore is only almost 0.075 too high for any speed.

thanks i lowered the vcore to 1.43 and the cpu frequency to 3.68ghz

was just playing arma 2 and it crashed and things on my desktop got distored,looked at the tampure ratings it went up to 100c for a second nomnomonomonom not good

Too many of you guys are wanting to overlock today with boards that are just not very effective overclockers. And now being so late the good 890FX / 890X boards are no longer in production and the big etailers like NewEgg do not have any of the previous chipset boards to buy. They sold all the of the last good chipset platform motherboards.

You people are left with 9xx series chipset boards to buy to get away from the lowest level of mobo to move to something that stands a better chance of overclocking.

Something like this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873 are all that are today available for the older cpus. You need a decent motherboard and get away from that entry level Nvidia chipset motherboard if you really want to overclock a cpu with locked multiplier.

Back