• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help re-wiring fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FORDification

I'm finishing up the build of my new rig, which consists of a Sabertooth P67 motherboard, which has provisions for a mobo-mounted 50mm assist fan. Since I'm installing all LED fans in my case, I was wanting to find a matching 50mm LED assist fan to use, but I had no luck finding one. However, I did run across something that might work.

I got this laptop cooler with two 50mm LED fans:

MINI-NBB-FAN-GRY-unit.jpg

Considering it was only $9, I figured I'd give it a try and see if I could make the fans work. The laptop cooler arrived in the mail today, and here are a few pics I took (click to enlarge):

IMG_7534th.jpg IMG_7550th.jpg IMG_7547th.jpg

(First of all....PINK??? LOL) Anyway, as you can see, the fans are a two-wire version, whereas the motherboard port for this assist fan is a 3-pin, so that it can be monitored and regulated. I realize that hooking it up as a two-wire means it'll be running full blast at all times and I won't be able to monitor it's RPM, but I'm fine with that, as these fans are pretty quiet. So...the question is, can I simply snip the USB connection off the fans on this cooler and wire in a three-pin connector (where one pin socket would be unused)? These fans each have a red and a white wire, whereas the assist fan I'm currently using has red, yellow and black. So which two wires from the three-pin mobo connector do I connect to which wires on this fan?

Thanks for the help! :)

USB is 5 VDC, not 12 VDC. So first your going to have to use the 5VDC from your PSU to power the fans.

white is ground (-), red is hot (+). You can get 5 VDC off a standard molex if you know what pins to use.

But you can't connect them to the Mobo, that is 12 VDC output.

Ah, OK....thanks. So wouldn't hooking it up to 12V simply make it spin faster, or would it be be too much power for the fan?

I have a spare (older) computer, I wonder if I should test it out on that one first on a 12V connection for a while and make sure it works and won't fry. :eh?:

Back