• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help reviving an old PC ASUS P5N-E or GigaByte 965P-DS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yuin

Hello all.
So my PC of 5 year got touched by water and died.
So I'm looking for a used motherboard and my options are the ASUS p5n-e or the gigabyte 965p ds3
My current system setup is:
Asus p5q pro
Core 2 Quad Q6600
4x 2GB 800mhz
5 hard drives
520w PSU
Sapphire 5870

I was running at 3.5 Ghz cpu at 1.3v no problems for the longest time.

I don't really want to spend too much to revive this system.

I do plan to eventually updating to s i7 but I don't know what to Getty. I always wanted to get a RoG with LianLi tower. whould it be a good time to upgrade? I haven't had any performance issues with my previous setup

Last edited:
Opps, sorry. the X3220 is basically a core 2 quad Q6600 relabled, I changed the first post to reflect on that

Last edited:
They are different CPU's however. If you own a X3220 you dont own a Q6600. They may be the exact same specs wuse, but not to a motherboard!! I would put the actual CPU back in there for compatibility reasons.

Hmm. Well for this sake, let's say I have a Q6600 =)

Let's not.

I cant drill the point any more for you that even though they are the same specs, they are different to a motherboard and because of that, it may not be fully supported. If you would like to jump in to it, reading my links I provided, BOTH boards support the Q6600...

Good luck!

The X3220 is a Xeon, not a rebranded Core 2 Quad. Just because the socket is the same does not mean that the CPU can be used on the same motherboards unless specified by the manufacturer.

You'll have to find a motherboard that supports Xeon CPU's.

Just because it's labeled a Xeon does not make it a completely different chip. Infact, the X3220 is a Kentsfield. Any motherboard that runs 1066 FSB will run this X3220.

Besides that, a simple google search will get you the result that it's just a Q6600 with a higher heat tolerance and higher TDP.

If you feel strongly that they are not the same, please prove me wrong.

As for my previous issue, it has been resolved so thread is no longer needed, thank you all your extremely valuable knowledge.

Last edited:
Back