• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help searching for a cooler.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoRmAl GuY 41

Registered
Hey everyone, I'm a n00b at computer parts and other ****, but I got a very important question, I'm tried to OC my CPU to 3,4 GHz (instead of 2,8 GHz, which sucks) but when I tried to turn on my PC, it showed windows error. So I thought that's a problem of system getting too hot (couse I did everything like in the tutorial) So I got a budget of 90$ to spend for a cooler, what could you guys advise to me?

System specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055t 2,8 GHz (without OC) 6 core
GPU: GeForce 560 (non Ti)
Motherboard: MSI 870S-C45
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Idk anything more about my PC lol
Thx for answers!!! :attn:

It depends on what windows errors. You may not have the Voltage set high enough, or you need to play with the fsb/stepping.

OC'ing does not mean it will help your PC much and you risk ruining the system altogether.

$90 is almost enough to just sell old parts and buy a better cpu with stock.

Hey, very thanks for the answer!!!
But what CPU could you advise? Couse I got a budget of 400$ to spend for PC (btw, I'm more of a gamer, not video editor, I do it very rarely)

Are you finding your cpu or gpu holding you back for gaming?

Either way. A solid cooler can't hurt anyway. 90 bucks gives you top end air cooling. And you can use that through several builds providing it's compatible. It won't hurt either way.

You'll need to give us the exact ram model. Because some are taller than others. And could affect your choice of cooler.

If this will fit it is a very good air cooler. I had a regular 212 that worked very well for me until I got the H100i that I have now.

I have actually no idea about my RAM thingies (like I sayed I'm a n00b at PC parts and thingies) but actually I only know my case which is Aerocool Strike-X one I think lol. Btw, thx for many answers.

An AMD Phenom II 6-core is plenty good. I would second the suggestion for the Cooler Master 212. I would couple that with an R9 270X and a 990FX motherboard.

Gigabyte R9 270X: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125476
Cooler Master Hyper 212: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
ASUS M5A99FX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851
Total Price with Shipping: $395.89 - $20 MIR

A 6-core Phenom II is a very good CPU, so no reason to upgrade it right now. The 560 is more likely a bottleneck than anything else in your system at this point, for games.

Ok, so thank you VERY MUCH for answers, I'm sticking with the old GPU, couse it's pretty enough for me (though I'm thinking of buying another GTX 560 and make it a double GTX 560) btw I only got a budget of 400$ to spend for upgrading my PC (can't do anything good) so I would buy the cooler for 50$ (it costs in my country) and then what to do with those left 350$? Btw, why do I have to change the Motherboard? The cooler won't fit or something?

Ok, so thank you VERY MUCH for answers, I'm sticking with the old GPU, couse it's pretty enough for me (though I'm thinking of buying another GTX 560 and make it a double GTX 560) btw I only got a budget of 400$ to spend for upgrading my PC (can't do anything good) so I would buy the cooler for 50$ (it costs in my country) and then what to do with those left 350$? Btw, why do I have to change the Motherboard? The cooler won't fit or something?

I think what Tyerker was getting at is you probably won't be able to overclock your CPU on that motherboard, it's just not made for it. Look at the cooling on the one he linked to and compare the cooling, much, much better. It will have the ability to OC and be much more stable without having heat issues. Your mobo also does not have another PCI slot for a second 560, so without a new mobo you can't crossfire. If you don't want to upgrade the GPU, I would look into a nice SSD if you don't already have one.

Ok, that's pretty clear for me, thank you all for responding!! Tyerker and shadowdr made it clear for me, you guys are cool. Cheers!!!

Btw, Shadowdr, I have 1TB HDD, and that's pretty enough for me, but why everyone says that SSD is MUCH better than HDD ???
Plus, SSD is very expensive compared to HDD.

Because it is. SSD's are leagues ahead of HDDs for performance and access times. They just aren't quite there yet for pricing, but they're WAY cheaper than they were say 4 years ago. My 2010 build using a 128GB SSD was 420 bucks. And well worth it. I could never go back. And you can get a Samsung 120GB 840 Evo for around 100 bucks now; so it's pretty hard to avoid the SSD craze. It's worth it.

I would agree a 128GB or 256GB SSD is very much worth it. I got my 128GB SSD for under $100, and the boot time especially is very nice. I only installed a couple of games on it, but my Skyrim load times seem faster, as well.

I got 200 GB of games installed JUST FROM STEAM... So i got another 100GB of pirated games, sooo..... nope, i'l stick with HDD. Btw i just got Battlefield 4 for Xmas, any ideas for GPU that could get the game running with HIGH (not ultra) settings with atleast 50-60 FPS?I would've had tried to try it with my GPU, but i was sick so i cannot done've that.Thx for answers

Your card probably won't do it... Who knows though.

Yeah but you put steam on the HDD, and if BF4 is your only origin game, you put that on the SSD along with Windows. It's about the overall user experience and not just about putting games on it so they load a few seconds faster. It's for the entire user-experience as a whole using your operating system. You'll see when you eventually get past the stubborn ideal that SSDs aren't worth it ;).

Why would you have all of your steam games installed at once? I have, as of now, 112 steam games, and I have 20 installed (and even that, I need to clean up)...just install what you wanna play and get rid of stuff when you finished. Steam cloud will even keep your saves for you!

Why would you have all of your steam games installed at once? I have, as of now, 112 steam games, and I have 20 installed (and even that, I need to clean up)...just install what you wanna play and get rid of stuff when you finished. Steam cloud will even keep your saves for you!

If you don't have like 5MB+ Internet connection it can take hours to download and install a game like Battlefield or Skyrim. I'd rather have the games ready to click and play than be in the mood for something, then realize it will take 45-90 minutes before it's ready to play.

Back