• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help searching for a cooler.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you don't have like 5MB+ Internet connection it can take hours to download and install a game like Battlefield or Skyrim. I'd rather have the games ready to click and play than be in the mood for something, then realize it will take 45-90 minutes before it's ready to play.

My schema is pretty simple. Given, this is based around my gameplay habits, but it's what works for me. I keep some games to just mess around with on all the time (eg: Super Meat Boy, Frozen Synapse, Monaco, etc), these games are for the moments when I need to just kill time and feel like doing something largely mindless (where I don't need to keep track of a plot). These are basically static, they don't really get removed from the computer.

I also keep keep a few games that are my current fancy, for plot, etc. These games are generally removed shortly after I finish the plotline of them (unless they roll to another category). Right now that's stuff like Reus, Mirror's Edge, Fez, and Trine 2, but it's generally just whatever I got recently.

The final category of games that I have is games that I use to suck up spare time. This is stuff like Civ V, Men of War, and Godus where I stop playing when I realize I haven't eaten in about 12 hours. These stay on my computer constantly, and change occasionally.

From time to time I will go through my game list, evaluate what's on there, and remove anything I don't anticipate playing any time soon. When I decide I want to play through something, or play through something again, I just set it to install and get to it the next day. FWIW, I'm on the cheapest internet comcast will provide to my area...I'm definitely sub 1 megabyte/second.

Just how I do it :shrug:

What I ended up doing with mine is I put Windows, drivers, browsers, and I believe 3-5 games on my SSD. The games I chose were based largely on the way that load times can impact the gameplay experience. So I put Skyrim, Planetside 2, DOTA 2, and Saints Row the Third on the SSD. The load times for online games, and for open world games, really enhance the experience. Then I put all my other games on my big drive. I have recently decided to use the Raptor for Linux. I used to put my high-end single-player games (Bioshock Infinite, Dark Souls, Ghost Recon Future Soldier, etc) on the Raptor, but now I just put almost everything on the big drive now.

Because it is. SSD's are leagues ahead of HDDs for performance and access times. They just aren't quite there yet for pricing, but they're WAY cheaper than they were say 4 years ago. My 2010 build using a 128GB SSD was 420 bucks. And well worth it. I could never go back. And you can get a Samsung 120GB 840 Evo for around 100 bucks now; so it's pretty hard to avoid the SSD craze. It's worth it.
Yep, I'd just been watching SSD prices since they came out, and finally bought a couple when they seemed dependable and dropped in price low enough to be feasable.

It's hard not to have at least one these days I'd say performance wise.

Back