• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help setting up my A8N-SLI board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tango1974

Registered
HI I have finally got myself a PCIexpress board, I have 4gb of crucial memory. CT12872Z40B.16TFY X4

Problem is when I go into the bios and set the dram settings so windows can use 4gb. I get memory errors and windows will not boot. All the memory is tested ok and in good working order. Its also working in dual setup with no issues.

Question I would like answered is where am I going wrong with the setup?

Any help would be great, thanks people. :rock:

What are you changing to 'make it see 4gb'? There shouldnt anything you need to touch to get it to work.

What are you changing to 'make it see 4gb'? There shouldnt anything you need to touch to get it to work.

In the bios I have 2 settings in the dram config.

1 says H/W 4gb something or other I cannot remember and the other says

S/W 4gb the same, when I change these to enabled the system will not boot and shows all 4gb availble for use. If I disable the settings it shows all 4gb in the bios test screen but only allows 2.75gb to be sued for the operating system. It also says the other memory is used for PCIE about 256mb and also the config of the system.

Exactly ^^.

32bit OS's will not let you use more than 3.2GB of 4GB. If you want to use all 4GB, get a 64bit OS.

Are you running a 32 bit operating system? If so that is why you get the 2.75 Gig available. You will just have to live with that.

Maybe this will help!!!!

Memoryissue.jpg

As I said when I start up the pc. The bios tells me I have 4gb of mem but only 2.75gb is usable. Its not a windows issue its a bios setting issue.

Open up Task Manager and go to the Performance page. I'm betting that the OS is using some of that ram for Cache. So it is an OS issue. Besides the OS says that you have 4 Gig installed. I believe that the way it works is that it uses so much ram for Cache so that it's ready for program usage, but I myself don't really understand those numbers.

Can anyone help with that?

Here's what mine says. About 1 Gig is Cached. Since I'm on a 32 bit system that is why it shows only about 3.25 Gig total. Yours shows 4 Gig total.

Attachments

• Taskman.JPG
    Taskman.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 192
Open up Task Manager and go to the Performance page. I'm betting that the OS is using some of that ram for Cache. So it is an OS issue. Besides the OS says that you have 4 Gig installed. I believe that the way it works is that it uses so much ram for Cache so that it's ready for program usage, but I myself don't really understand those numbers.

Can anyone help with that?

Here's what mine says. About 1 Gig is Cached. Since I'm on a 32 bit system that is why it shows only about 3.25 Gig total. Yours shows 4 Gig total.

No mine only shows 2.75gb total and is caching about half of it. I contacted asus their answer was to go back to windows xp!!! Which to be honest is not a fix.

If you go to the Boot tab in msconfig and look at Advanced Options is the Maximum memory box checked? Still sounds like an OS issue and I can't believe that Asus really told you that. That is completely lame.

If you go to the Boot tab in msconfig and look at Advanced Options is the Maximum memory box checked? Still sounds like an OS issue and I can't believe that Asus really told you that. That is completely lame.

Was not an OS issue at all, was a BIOS issue the bios could not use the Opteron processor correctly. Flashing the bios solved issue. Now have a full 4GB of memory for use with computer in 64bit windows.
Thing is if I had listened to the so call advice from Asus I would now be loading windows XP. As the tech on the email said that this board would not work with windows 7 64 bit!!! Well its nice to prove them wrong once in a while.

Last edited:
Glad you got it figured out. Sorry but I never want to see XP again. Reminds me of the slow computers at the library. I truly like Windows 7. So Asus didn't even recommend a BIOS flash? How did you figure it out, by just trying? Anyway, I learned a lot about Superfetch.

Glad you got it figured out. Sorry but I never want to see XP again. Reminds me of the slow computers at the library. I truly like Windows 7. So Asus didn't even recommend a BIOS flash? How did you figure it out, by just trying? Anyway, I learned a lot about Superfetch.

I always make sure I have the latest bios on my systems, however this time I could not flash because Asus have not made a program for windows 7 to do the job. I did try in dos however the awardflash program would not work either. So I loaded windows media centre on another HDD, I may even leave it on, and loaded the asus update program and got it done. Once I restarted and went into the bios, found the memory settings were all correct this time, with HW and SW settings for 4gb enabled already!!!! Booted into windows 7 with no issues and running a lot faster :rock:
So was a bit of common sense really just surprised the chap at asus wrote me off so quickly.

Back