• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help to decide on which motherboard to get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
really they are the same in ocing but i have yet to see a modded P5K prem do 610mhz fsb. the prem costs more and the only stand out feature for asus is the voltage dampner but that doesnt affect normal ocing. we have had vdroop for so long on cpu's, i dont get why the voltage dampner is really that big of a feature.

right now at newegg the ASUS P5K PREMIUM is $204 vs Abit IP35-Pro at $184.

do you plug in that molex plug or is that for sli only?

8800gts512is3.jpg

since i cant see the pic at work, if its the 4pin molex on the board. you plug that in to make sure the rest of the PCIE slots get enough power to work properly.

is it necessary if the 3d card is the only component plugged in

I'm wondering why is everyone moving away from Asus these days? The P5K looks alright to me (with RAID capabilities). If the P5K WS could overclock just as well then perhaps it's worth considering too :D

Evilsizer talked me into it, originally i was going to get asus, we'll see once i get my psu so i can power this thing on. :beer:

I'm wondering why is everyone moving away from Asus these days? The P5K looks alright to me (with RAID capabilities). If the P5K WS could overclock just as well then perhaps it's worth considering too :D

$ to features other boards have that beat. asus imo is becoming more like a name, like sony. as the boards in the 100 range only have 3 phase vs other boards in that range that have 4phase. with people planning for quads later down that road, your going to need a motherboard with 4 phase pwm. the only really stand out feature asus has is the voltage dampener, really doesnt seem worth the added cost. when the ocing doesnt increase hardly at all with it enabled. its not something that is on my 'NEED TO HAVE" feature list since its not helpfull.

there are boards that asus has that are completly worth it and they tend to be the higher end boards.

Back