• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help to overclock AMD FX-6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoGearLTU

Registered
Hello, I'm quite new to overclocking so I need help to OC my CPU. I tried to do it several times, but that didn't went succsessful. Could you advise me what to change in BIOS to achieve at least 3.9 Ghz with cooler, that was with CPU (if that's possible)? I would realy apreciate your help. Any advice is welcome. :)

My PC:

CPU: AMD FX-6100
Mother Board: GA-78LMT-USB3-F2
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2 gb
RAM: 8 Gb

:welcome: To the forum rogearLTU

Give this a read , it will help you understand some of the terms we will be talking about. It's all about OC'ing this type of Processor.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

When you're done download HWmonitor, Cpuz and prime 95.
Then run prime95 while you have HWmonitor(non pro version) open. Take some snips with windows snipping tool. And post them along with snips of Cpuz, spd tab and memory tab.
I know it sounds like alot but if you're gonna do this it takes time.
Also i wouldn't expect too much of an OC your Mobo is a bit weak.

:welcome: To the forum
Also i wouldn't expect too much of an OC your Mobo is a bit weak.

Johan45 is exactly right when he says do not expect much of an overclock of an FX cpu from that motherboard. It is a MicroATX mobo with weak 4 +1 VRM circuit. The MicroATX is short on real estate to help absorb the heat from the HOT FX processors.
RGone...

So, how much Ghz, in your opinion, I could get with my PC?

Most of us in this forum section strive for two consecutive hours of Prime 95 running blend mode without having any sort of failure during that time nor having the Cpu socket temp rise higher than 70c and the Core Temp get greater than 60c.

So it is not just an ultimate Speed that is reached that counts but the speed under load without "issues".

An "issue" of too great a temperature is related to how good is the cpu heatsink and cooling fan and how great is the case it all is housed in having a great ability to get heat out of the case itself.

So because there are great areas of underspeccing about your system, we would just be wildly guessing at the speed your system might attain. I can guess with all 6 cores on at one time, that you might reach 3.8Ghz under a heavy load and perhaps pass Prime 95 Blend mode for 2 hours. That is just a guess though with the parts currently in your whole system.
RGone...

Back