• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help to put a custom water cooling loop together

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sir_Mustache99

Registered
Hey everybody,
I need a bit of help to find out what kinda parts i need for my watercooling loop.
I already know what i wanna cool and what hardware i want (except the CPU (you can help decide with that too)) i want 3 gtx 980's SLI, an asus rampage 4 extreme motherboard, and some other stuff that doesnt matter at the moment.
I kinda want to water cool the cpu, motherboard and the gpu's and i prefer to use EK for the waterblocks and PETG tubing.
If someone can help me trying to find some parts that i need, that will be great.

Ps sorry for the poor english. Im dutch :)

Where to start............

First, WELCOME!

Next, take a look at the stickies we have here in this section that covers water cooling, read it, twice so you get an understanding of what is involved/terminology, etc. You will need at least 6x120mm worth of radiator to cool that heat load. We really can't size properly without knowing the CPU too. You really need to know the exact hardware you are cooling first.

I suggest NOT cooling the motherboard because its not needed, and those blocks are generally restrictive. If you want to for looks, fine, but it won't accomplish anything other than that on Intel systems.

3 980's in SLI? You running 4K resolution or something? Why so many cards? Why so complicated? If you are 2560x1440, I suggest a single 980ti. What resolution are you gaming at? What are your other uses for this PC?

As far as the PETG tubing... well, not something for an amateur/that is easy to do.

Okay so what you say is that it doesn't effect the performance if i wasnt going to watercool the motherboard. If it save properly the specs of the pc that i wanna build is in my profile and feel free to give suggestions or reccomondations. I dont have a budget, i just want it to be a fast pc where i can count on the next couple of years.
Ps i want my pc to be black and red. The case i already have wich is de corsair 760t

I dont see it so far. For now, please list the hardware until it shows up in your signature.

Again I ask, what resolution are you playing games on? Why are you buying 3 980s????

Okay i think im gonna scrap the idea for the motherboard cooling. The PETG is maybe idd a bit tricky but i dont want to have a pc that looks like it has snakes in it and pretty close to where i live someone has a shop who is pretty good in watercooling so if think it doesnt goes to well i go to him. (But if you like to find things out can you maybe just to be sure also look for commponents that i need for soft tubing?). About the 3 980s i want to have a 4k monitor for my editting and rendering stuff and probbably 2 2560x 1440 for other stuff btw the gaming also on the 4k. But if you can suggest something else that can handle these things i would like to know and the samething for the cpu if you suggest something.

- - - Updated - - -

Mobo asus rampage 4 black edition
GPU 3x EVGA gtx 980 overclocked sli
CPU not decided yet(leave suggestions)
RAM kingston hyperx 32gb ddr3 2400 mhz
PSU Corsair ax1200i
Storage samsung 850 EVO 250gb and 2tb western digital black edition
I just coppied it but if you can suggest somthing else that would be great

- - - Updated - - -

At the moment im playing games on a 1600x 1020 i think

You have no need for such a high end board honestly. There are other black and red boards around that cost half as much. That board is made for the extreme overclocker so there are a lot of features you are paying for that you will never use.

That said, I suggest building off the Skylake (Z170) platform and getting a 6700K CPU. With that, you need DDR4. I also ask why are you getting 32GB of ram.. that is a TON. Do you use close to 16GB already? If not, grab 16GB DDR4 3000MHz. As far as a red board, Grab the MSI Z170 gaming series. Maybe a Gaming M5 or something similar.

If you are eventually going 4K, I would go for a single 980Ti now, then when you buy your 4K monitor, get another 980Ti. I don't think there is a need for 3 980s.

How much will that cost and will everything fit in a corsair 760t with watercoolin? Again i have no budget and is the msi z170 compatible with ddr4?

I only know what it costs in the USA. To figure out your costs, look at your retailer of choice.

Z170 is compatible with DDR4, yes. That is why I selected it...

As far as what your case can handle GPU wise and radiator, read about it here: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/graphite-series-760t-arctic-white-full-tower-windowed-case

Radiator and fan compatibility:
Top: 3 x 120mm or 2 x 140mm
Front: 2 x 140mm or 2 x 120mm (2 x 140mm LED included)
Bottom: 1 x 120mm
Rear: 1 x 140mm or 120mm (140mm included)

Maximum GPU Length 450mm

Basically what that tells you is that you can fit a 3x120/140mm radiator up top and 2x120/140mm up front. You can fit up to 450mm for video cards.

Again, do you NEED 32GB of ram?

unless you want your system screaming at you via fan noise from running your fans full speed go with a single 980TI as suggested. I run dual 980 strixs with a 4930 cpu only cpu is mildly overclocked and I'm seeing gpu temps of 55-60 on low speed with my fans while gaming. I'm running a 360 45mm thick and 280 45mm thick rad in my 760t before I changed cases to its current enthoo lux. If you want/need that many gpus give your ears a break and get a case that can support more raddage than the 760T. I understand the want side of things and wont try and talk you down outside of it being pointless to wc the chipset unless your extreme overclocking. But I'd suggest 2 980tis versus 3 980's anyday. I'm currently looking at the ThermalTake core X9 for its huge rad support cause I hate hearing fan noise above my gaming noise lol.

My take for components, 6700k, get an Asrock motherboard, 8GB of ram, 1 video card, gtx 980 or 980 ti. storage choices are fine. A 750 watt psu will be enough for your needs, there is no need for such a high wattage psu.

He had 3 cards at one time, may go to two... 750W will be PLENTY for two with an intel processor (and overclocking), no doubt.

unless you want your system screaming at you via fan noise from running your fans full speed go with a single 980TI as suggested. I run dual 980 strixs with a 4930 cpu only cpu is mildly overclocked and I'm seeing gpu temps of 55-60 on low speed with my fans while gaming. I'm running a 360 45mm thick and 280 45mm thick rad in my 760t before I changed cases to its current enthoo lux. If you want/need that many gpus give your ears a break and get a case that can support more raddage than the 760T. I understand the want side of things and wont try and talk you down outside of it being pointless to wc the chipset unless your extreme overclocking. But I'd suggest 2 980tis versus 3 980's anyday. I'm currently looking at the ThermalTake core X9 for its huge rad support cause I hate hearing fan noise above my gaming noise lol.

I like your set up it is kinda of what i wanted. What waterblocks/tubing/fittings did you use?

- - - Updated - - -

Btw did you had a very loud pc when you used the 760t?

You need multiple GPUS ONLY if you are gaming across 3 monitors, you're not. You have to understand how that works. You only need ONE GPU, get a 980ti. And you don't even need to watercool it if only one. It's quiet enough.

I'm using a swiftec apogee HD for cpu and ek's 980 strix blocks with backplates. For tubing there nothing IMHO better than Primochills LRT Advance for fittings I'm using vaious alphacool 90's 45's swivels with monsoon free center compressions. At one point my loop was 100% alphacool with the exception of my bay rez which at that time was a monsoon v2 I like alphcool products and imho they have some of the best rads on the market. But when they changed their gpu blocks to the core only passive mem style I jumped ship on their blocks.

When I change my case to the Thermaltake core X9 I'll be grabbing a pair of either 480mm rads or possible a pair of 420mm rads. Currently I'm running a 360 and 280 45mm thick and a 240 30mm thick in my lux with a wonky fan set up to try and keep my 980's tamed during the hot summer. Normally its not an issue but I have to put my case under my desk and its not really allowing the air to get as good a circulation as it needs this is why my 980's are running 55-60 degrees on me. If I had more raddage I'd definitely see some lower temps plus with the shorter height of the X9 more air flow could happen. By wonky fan set I'm referring to the 360 went from push pull to just pull due to needing 2 of the push fans for the 240 I added and the 280 I only have a single 140 on it due to not having the time when I added the 240 to mod the 2nd 140 onto it. My idle temps rock lol 24c on cpu 34c and 32 c on the gpu's. I alos attribute the temps to having all the eye candy turned on whilst gaming at 3440 x 1440. If I turn on vsync I can keep the temps under 55c with ease.

edit

no it wasnt really loud cause I control my fans via bios and a phanteks fan header the 760T is an ok case but imho the side panels are a little flimsy for my likes. But overall its a nice case to work with but can get cramped with alot of gear. which is another thng to keep in mind 3 gpu's will eat up alot of real estate inside your case not allowing for tube style rez's you'll be stuck with a bay rez which the top 360mm rad will interfer with. Do lots of research before you buy anything is always the best way to start. I've been water cooling or extreme cooling long before all these new fangled parts that we have now were available and I still make mistakes that cause delays in a build.

Last edited:
One piece of advice I can give you OP is by doing your homework and sketch out a blueprint of what your loops going to be with all the parts picked, etc. I would than say to look for a case to accommodate all of that gear nicely in said case.

I would also look around at other water cooling builds with 3 GPUs with lots of rads and see what cases were chosen. If you don't have a budget and are willing to spend lots on a case say $1000+, look at Caselabs. If you're on a budget somewhat, I'd have a look at the 900D. It will fit everything you need and than some.

I dont think anything changes...

2x4/8GB DDR4 3000 CL 15
MSI Z170 Gaming 7 for the board

If you insist on 16GB, why not go 2x8GB so you have room for expansion if you ever needed it? Otherwise, all ATX Z170 boards have the ability to run 4x4.

Back