• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help Undervolting 10900K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

I've already turn MCE off, yet this CPU run rather hot.
I don't want to go into too many details.

I'm using a Maximus XIII Hero board, is there any other features I can turn off to help me CPU run cooler ?
Even with MCE off It still consume more than 125W even in games.
If I were to run Cinebench it keep it at 4.9 Ghz when near end it will drop, so I guess MCE is turn off indeed.
But It was consuming much as 1.35 - 1.36V....

Is there some way to like Undervolt or even further limit the amount of power consumption ??
I never really OC before, I'm not even sure how to Undervolt a CPU

Why no details? What temps are you seeing in what tests/circumstance? What cooler? How about you update your signature while we're here. ;)

That cpu is good to 100C. Keep it at 90C for stress tests. Those volts you mentioned are normal. Why do you want to lower power use for this cpu?

Why no details? What temps are you seeing in what tests/circumstance? What cooler? How about you update your signature while we're here. ;)

That cpu is good to 100C. Keep it at 90C for stress tests. Those volts you mentioned are normal. Why do you want to lower power use for this cpu?

O sorry.

Maximus XIII Hero
Arctic Liquid Freezer 360mm
Fractal Design Meshify 2 casing ( not to be mistaken with Meshify S2 )

So far only thing I did is, MCE Disabled Enforce All Limits, XMP Profile 1 ( there is two profile )
Rest is all Auto

During Cinebench R23 it's at 80C max, while in games. Some are are a respectable 60C at most some spikes up to 70C.
But when I was playing AC Odyssey, I'm seeing 70 - 80C spikes. Usually it howers around 60C but it will touch 70C and stay there sometimes. But it's not like forever.
I just don't feel comfortable seeing this high temps at all.
I'm not sure what are the Voltage while gaming though. But seeing MSI AB, even with MCE Disabled Enforce All Limits, I don't know why my CPU can still consume much as 170W

Since I live in a rather hot country and I don't even have AC in this room, so my PC dumping so much heat into the room is definitely not a comfortable experience.
I don't mind losing a bit of Clock speed if I can lower like least 5 - 10C Temp average if possible.

I did found the VCORE Offset Voltage...I'm not sure if that can help...
With every new BIOS the settings become more and more confusing. I doesn't even know what does what now, even finding the Voltage Offset was difficult !
I wanted to try adjusting my CPU Core Clock Ratio I can't even find the setting.
The only setting I found was CPU Core setting or something like that and only option was Sync All Cores, AI Tuning ( or something like that ) and By Core Usage ( something along the lines ).

I just don't feel comfortable seeing this high temps at all.
You need to drop the 'feels' for facts. 80C is fine. Wanting to lower heat for you room is another story. ;)

Cpu ratio core setting is the ratio. It gives you different options. I would try a negative voltage offset and see if that helps.

The 10900K is a 125W CPU according to Intel but that's only at stock clocks. The various turbo levels allow the CPU to use up to 225W but not consistently if MCE is disabled. In that situation, it will use 225W for a specified amount of time or watts. If you go into the tweaker/CPU power management you can adjust these settings. There are also options in BIOS to set a maximum CPU temperature, you'll just need to explore and test until you find settings you like.

You need to drop the 'feels' for facts. 80C is fine. Wanting to lower heat for you room is another story. ;)

Cpu ratio core setting is the ratio. It gives you different options. I would try a negative voltage offset and see if that helps.

I guess this is my best way, instead of doing anything too complicated.
Actually what's the different between setting a specific voltage and an offset ??

The 10900K is a 125W CPU according to Intel but that's only at stock clocks. The various turbo levels allow the CPU to use up to 225W but not consistently if MCE is disabled. In that situation, it will use 225W for a specified amount of time or watts..

O I didn't know that, I always thought 125W as in for any situation.

There are also options in BIOS to set a maximum CPU temperature, you'll just need to explore and test until you find settings you like.

I think I saw this option but I think it's only adjustable when MCE is turn on.
I used to own a X370 Hero VI board, it have lot less feature. This Maximus XIII board have ton of settings, some I never even seen before. But I don't build PC like every generation.
So I guess I'm not always updated. What make it worst is a lot of the settings are buried deep somewhere....maybe I try digging around.

Just found this video teaching how to OC the 10900K with Hero Z490 board. I guess this is the most similar to my board.
I think to adjust the CPU Ratio, I may need to Sync All Core ??

To answer your question "Actually what's the different between setting a specific voltage and an offset ??"

In older chipsets, setting a specific voltage caused the CPU to ALWAYS run at that specific voltage (instead of throttling with speed as needed), whereas setting an offset would modify the default voltage by something near your specified offset.

Not sure if it still functions that way in the newer chipset, as I don't have one at my disposal to experiment with.

To answer your question "Actually what's the different between setting a specific voltage and an offset ??"

In older chipsets, setting a specific voltage caused the CPU to ALWAYS run at that specific voltage (instead of throttling with speed as needed), whereas setting an offset would modify the default voltage by something near your specified offset.

Not sure if it still functions that way in the newer chipset, as I don't have one at my disposal to experiment with.

I see, I never tested it. But it seems like that is the reason. Because I check out a few videos on how to OC 10900K, the guy told us to set a specific VCORE Voltage first before trying to setting it as Offset / Adaptive.
He said this will hard lock the voltage to the figures you've punched in and once you know it's stable, from there on switch back to Offset and adjust to the amount of voltages you want to offset.

For my case, even I set to Offset. When I first run Cinebench the very first few second, from what I reading on CPU-Z. It will still spike up to 1.35 - 1.36V.
Then It bring it back down to 1.3111V ( Now I have it set to Offset 0.050 ).

Also I'm using Balanced Power Plant, so when my Clocks go down the voltage will do too. I find hard locking the voltage to say 1.35V seems excessive...even when you don't need it.
Won't your CPU be always running hot ??

Also I would like to update, it seems like 1.3111V Offset help amazingly....my Clocks are still at a solid 4.9Ghz at Cinebench but I've shaved off like 5 - 6C now. Also I notice I'm consuming 20W less too during Cinebench.
Usually it was like 80C or so during Cinebench runs, now it's only like 75C.

I also tested it in AC Odyssey, during Benchmark it was spiking up to 70C and more sometimes. Now it's keeping at a cool 55C - 67C. I never see it touching 70C yet. Hopefully it stays this way.
But today it's a cool day, it was raining earlier so weather is lot cooler than usual.

But if this small Offset really did the trick then this is a huge win for me. It's kinda mind blowing, that only Offsetting a mere 0.050 can yield such a big differences....
It seems like you can go WAY LOWER than this....I've seen people doing OC but only at around 5.0 - 5.1 range with like only 1.28 - 1.29V...while at 5.2 - 5.3 it was only like 1.32V which is still lower than the Stock settings, if this is the case, why the hell Intel / ASUS is pumping so much excessive voltages into the CPU ???

The way I used to tune mine was to run the benchmarks and stress tests, if it passes go add an additional 0.005V (or .01V if the motherboard doesn't allow .005V tweaks) to the offset and run all again.
When it finally became unstable, rolled it back to the setting where the offset produced the highest clocks at lowest voltages.
It was time consuming, but in the end you get the most efficient set up for your rig, which also means it should last longer as it will produce less heat.

Just be sure to make a good log somewhere of your best performing settings so that if you flash BIOS or need to reset for any reason, you can handily refer to them while you are in BIOS and quickly reset everything without a hiccup.
Also advisable to make a running log (on paper) of your current BIOS tweaks so if instability occurs, you know exactly what to roll back.

The way I used to tune mine was to run the benchmarks and stress tests, if it passes go add an additional 0.005V (or .01V if the motherboard doesn't allow .005V tweaks) to the offset and run all again.
When it finally became unstable, rolled it back to the setting where the offset produced the highest clocks at lowest voltages.
It was time consuming, but in the end you get the most efficient set up for your rig, which also means it should last longer as it will produce less heat.

Just be sure to make a good log somewhere of your best performing settings so that if you flash BIOS or need to reset for any reason, you can handily refer to them while you are in BIOS and quickly reset everything without a hiccup.
Also advisable to make a running log (on paper) of your current BIOS tweaks so if instability occurs, you know exactly what to roll back.

Tks for the advice ! Yeah I do keep a log of what's going on with my PC.
I learned that the hard way, there was once time my PC was acting up. Was ripping my hair off trying to remember and retrace my steps of what I did.....it was a nightmare...
Now I log almost everything ! Even Windows update !

Back