• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with a constant BSOD problem on my new gaming computer.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zero V

Ok so I dropped 1700 bucks into a new gaming PC. Took a couple years to reach this point, spent a long time missing out... I remember posting here a few months back while deciding on a MOBO to get.

Issue is, now I have this PC but every time I try to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 I get a BSOD....it has even gotten me to rage so bad I sent things airborne smashing into walls.

Normally I would move on to another game after trying so many fixes, but my brother plays this game, he is a Marine and I do not see him much. This is our time we hang out, which is sadly virtually due to his military duties.

So as you can see, I am dieing to get this game to work.

My computer is
CPU: i7 960 3.2ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1. Assassin
Graphics card: EVGA GTX 570 factory OC edition(they were out of normal)
Memory: Triple Channel Corsair Vengeance 6 gigs
Power Supply: Corsair GS800
CPU heatsink: Corsair H70 liquid cooling
HDD: Hitachie 1.5 TB 6gs, 64mbcach
Optical drive: all in one plain not even sure the brand.
Case: DF85

I have BCB2 through steam. I play Shogun 2 on ultra with DX11, I play every other game I can imagine on max, etc,etc.

Solutions I have tried so far. Making sure my HDD was in Master 0.
Rolled back my Nvidia drivers to 270.61 from the newest because a friend in a clan I plan to be in said it helped him. Went in and turned off bloom and set BCB2 to run at DX 9 in the .txt Settings file. Moved my GTX570 to PCI-e top slot. Updated mobo drivers, sound drivers(which my mobo has x-fi integrated as well as a Bigfoot network killer gaming card built in).

And quite a few other attempts.

Here is what I get, these are the last 3 BSODs

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA8006D17028
BCP3: 00000000B6000000
BCP4: 0000000000200001
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Problem signature:

BCP2: FFFFFA8006CBA028

Problem signature:

BCP2: FFFFFA8006C99028

Anything someone can do to help I will be very thankful.

First, step outside and take a breather. Getting mad at the computer is going to do nothing but make it more difficult to solve the issue. You need to work on this with a level head. While waiting for the tests to run, read a book, play a game or whatever you need to do to relax. It will make this far easier for everyone that helps and, more importantly, yourself.

The 124 error seems to indicate hardware, but it doesn't give specifics. I would start by getting a copy of Memtest, burn it to a disk, boot it and let this run for a few hours.

If that passes, I would suggest getting LinX and Furmark. Run these each for a few hours as well. If it is hardware instability, it should show up as quickly as it does in game. While running these tests, I would suggest monitoring temperatures. Coretemp for the processor and Rivatuner for the video card.

First, step outside and take a breather. Getting mad at the computer is going to do nothing but make it more difficult to solve the issue. You need to work on this with a level head. While waiting for the tests to run, read a book, play a game or whatever you need to do to relax. It will make this far easier for everyone that helps and, more importantly, yourself.

The 124 error seems to indicate hardware, but it doesn't give specifics. I would start by getting a copy of Memtest, burn it to a disk, boot it and let this run for a few hours.

If that passes, I would suggest getting LinX and Furmark. Run these each for a few hours as well. If it is hardware instability, it should show up as quickly as it does in game. While running these tests, I would suggest monitoring temperatures. Coretemp for the processor and Rivatuner for the video card.

Wow this is gona suck lol. Thanks. Hopefully this will show me the issue. I would love for it to be something simple like a bad grfx card or stick of memory, as I can take it back to micro center and get a replacement.

Do I need anything to burn it to a disc? And if so is there a free version of something. This computer is my baby, so I even own a legit license to Fraps, so on and so forth I pay for my items now where as a couple years ago I was like most others lol.

Thank you for the help, I will not do this tonight due to wanting to relax but I think I will do one every day after work for awhile as I cook dinner and so on.

So you recommend running the heat monitors during each test?

And thank you very very very much. Its so freaking frustrating. I can fix a car if I know whats up, I can fix pipes if I see the issue, I can fix anything like that. With a computer, the issue is alike a ghost ninja in the middle of a jungle...

If you have Windows 7, you can extract the ISO from the zip file, right click on it and burn it to a disk. It is very simple.

Once you understand how to troubleshoot problems on a computer, it will become far less frustrating. It takes some time and I'm sure you went through the same thing with other hobbies. You just have to take a step back, think about the entire situation and anything that could cause it. If you don't know what to look for, staring at it for hours or hitting it with a hammer won't fix it. You need to find someone and ask. ;)

If you have Windows 7, you can extract the ISO from the zip file, right click on it and burn it to a disk. It is very simple.

Once you understand how to troubleshoot problems on a computer, it will become far less frustrating. It takes some time and I'm sure you went through the same thing with other hobbies. You just have to take a step back, think about the entire situation and anything that could cause it. If you don't know what to look for, staring at it for hours or hitting it with a hammer won't fix it. You need to find someone and ask. ;)

hahahah, Are you sure the hammer thing wont work? Because I know I would feel better...until I realized I broke my PC lol.

Thanks again, I just burnt the memtest to a disc, May run it while I nap since I work in 6 hours but slept in too late and will be up all night.

And thats why I am here asking, my friends cant help.

As for that Rivatuner, how do I get it to show heat temps?

I know how to use a computer, repair simple issues, and small time trouble shoot...but anything serious and I am like an unarmed 5 year old in a field of tigers crapping my pants hoping the smell drives em away. :bday:

Going to play some world of tanks or minecraft for awhile though to cool down since I am also redownloading and reinstalling it.

Also I think I am going to uninstall and reupdate my video drivers to the newest since that fix didnt work.

Thank you again, I hope this locates the issue because i feel helpless lol.

hahahah, Are you sure the hammer thing wont work? Because I know I would feel better...until I realized I broke my PC lol.
Sometimes, that is the best fix and a very good relief. I know I've done it at least once and it felt great.

As for that Rivatuner, how do I get it to show heat temps?
Once the program runs, go here. It will open a graph and show you the temp.

Thank you again, I hope this locates the issue because i feel helpless lol.
Your welcome. I know how frustrating it can be to have a problem you can't fix. I literally help people with this daily, it is my job.

Sometimes, that is the best fix and a very good relief. I know I've done it at least once and it felt great.

Once the program runs, go here. It will open a graph and show you the temp.

Your welcome. I know how frustrating it can be to have a problem you can't fix. I literally help people with this daily, it is my job.

By the way what kind of max temperatures should I be looking for on the CPU and GPU?

With the CPU so far its sitting at

Tj.max 212F
------------Low---- High-----Load
Core #0---122-----127------50%
Core #1---108-----117-------8%
Core #2---113-----126------28%
Core #3---106-----117------10%

All in Fahrenheit.

Sorry, can you put in centigrade? That is how we normally read temperatures. :-/

I freaked out a bit before I realized you had in Fahrenheit.

Sorry, can you put in centigrade? That is how we normally read temperatures. :-/

I freaked out a bit before I realized you had in Fahrenheit.

hahah, yeah I will re run it. I have an issue with the Rivatuner, it keeps saying it has not been tested with this thing and it does not give me the option to monitor its heat when I click that little button. I only get two options.

Tj.max 100
Core #0---40-----42------1%
Core #1---37-----41-------0%
Core #2---40-----42------1%
Core #3---36-----46------10%

I forgot to mention this as well, my mistake. Idle temps mean almost nothing. Check them while under load (CPU - LinX; GPU - Furmark).

I forgot to mention this as well, my mistake. Idle temps mean almost nothing. Check them while under load (CPU - LinX; GPU - Furmark).

Well I ran the memtest through 2 passes tonight, will do it again though tomorrow. ALso ran Furmark twice, only lasts like a minute each time I did it, I suppose that is a setting I must change? But the memory passed with 0 issues, and the Furmark results are here below

Furmark Run

Score: 1061 points (17 FPS)

Submitted by Zero V on August 1 2011, 7:54 am

Bench duration: 60 seconds
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
MSAA samples: 0
Window mode: fullscreen

Primary renderer: GeForce GTX 570
Device ID: 0x10de - 0x1086
GPU clock: 797 MHz
Memory clock: 1950 MHz
Shader clock: 1594 MHz
Graphics drivers: 8.17.12.7533 (5-20-2011) - GL:nvoglv64
GPU temperatures (start/end):55°C / 78°C
Number of GPUs: 1

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz
CPU speed: 3197 MHz
Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit build 7601 [Service Pack 1]

Tj.max 100
Core #0---43-----48------8%
Core #1---41-----44-------0%
Core #2---44-----45------0%
Core #3---40-----48------1%

and another run

Score: 1018 points (16 FPS)

Submitted by Zero V on August 1 2011, 8:09 am

Bench duration: 60 seconds
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
MSAA samples: 0
Window mode: fullscreen

Primary renderer: GeForce GTX 570
Device ID: 0x10de - 0x1086
GPU clock: 797 MHz
Memory clock: 1950 MHz
Shader clock: 1594 MHz
Graphics drivers: 8.17.12.7533 (5-20-2011) - GL:nvoglv64
GPU temperatures (start/end):68°C / 80°C
Number of GPUs: 1

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz
CPU speed: 3197 MHz
Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit build 7601 [Service Pack 1]

Tj.max 100
Core #0---40-----55------1%
Core #1---37-----49-------0%
Core #2---41-----51------0%
Core #3---37-----48------0%

Last edited:
It just went into "sleep mode" and which only occurs when there is a weird reading on my Easytune 6

Sometimes on the easytune 6 there is a reading that comes up that says System 1=212F, or 100C as in crazy hot.

But I cant feel that heat....

Easytune also says my CPU temp is 38C when the Core Temp Program shows it hotter.

But if I reboot the BIOS will only show System 1 as like 42C

Could that heat sensor on the MOBO be wacked out?

And if so could that heat sensor be whats causing the BSOD?

Only happens randomly.

I mean I played the hell out of some Bad Company 2 last night several times and even shut down the PC for breaks to go eat and chill. Then I got pure BSOD again. Sometimes 20 mins in, sometimes an hour in.

I noticved that not every night, but some nights that System 1 heat sensore goes to 212 on the easytune6 program I bring up that came with the MOBO that watches that stuff. But it only says that after my PC "sleep modes" which seems to only happen when it reads that temp, as in the PC shuts down to protect...but seemingly against something that is not real?

But everytime I play Bad Company 2 it BSODS, never has in worldoftanks, Shogun2, etc,etc.

Last edited:
It isn't likely the sensor is having issues, unless the BIOS reports it as well. I would ignore that program and probably remove it.

It has been a while since I've used Furmark, but there is a "benchmark" or "stress test" option that you need to enable.

What are you temperatures when running LinX? You never posted them.

Since other games are not having an issue, that increases the chance there is something wrong with the game and decreases the chances of it being a stability related problem. If you have Steam, delete the local cache and re-download the entire game. Otherwise, remove the game, delete the install folder and install again.

It isn't likely the sensor is having issues, unless the BIOS reports it as well. I would ignore that program and probably remove it.

It has been a while since I've used Furmark, but there is a "benchmark" or "stress test" option that you need to enable.

What are you temperatures when running LinX? You never posted them.

Since other games are not having an issue, that increases the chance there is something wrong with the game and decreases the chances of it being a stability related problem. If you have Steam, delete the local cache and re-download the entire game. Otherwise, remove the game, delete the install folder and install again.

I am thinking that. I had steam delete the local content and redownload and tried it again and still BSOD. I am wondering if its an issue of this game and steam.

I have a buddy at work who owns the normal DVD of the game, going to see if I can borrow and install it.

Thanks to all the rolling back of drivers and odd ball stuff Magika and Shogun 2 crashed to desktop a couple times :bang head lol now I gotta undo all my attempts at a fix :chair:

If you are going that far, how about a full reinstall of Windows? You'd be starting with a nice clean slate.

If you are going that far, how about a full reinstall of Windows? You'd be starting with a nice clean slate.

I just installed windows on this thing 2 weeks ago when I built it. Waaaay too many things installed, probably 100 hours of Steam downloading crap, drivers, programs, etc lol.

If its an issue with just BFBC2 I realllllly dont wanna reload windows.

Good news is my CD key worked in Origin(their new thing, which I will need for BF3 anyways) and I am downloading it solo now :D hopefully I have good news.

I would remove easytune and go into bios and turn off the heat warning and or anything to do with temp wise ... Also make sure the heatsink is properly mounted and has a thin layer of thermal compound..

you say you have easy tune installed did you by chance overclock your cpu using that? if so it could be an unstable overclock set your bios to defaults and uninstall easy tune

Back