• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help with AMD FX4100 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UndeadKieran

Registered
Hey Guys,

When I bought my PC back in April, it was at 4ghz, but after a recent driver update (so i could play borderlands 2) this went back down to 3.6ghz. I play A LOT of games, and I also make youtube videos, rendering videos out in sony vegas.

AMD FX4100 Bulldozer Series (Quad Core) @ 3.6ghz
ATI Radeon 6770 1gb at Stock Clocks
8gb 1333mhz GDDR3 RAM
ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2 motherboard.

OK, so how do I overclock this, stably that is, and what should I overclock to for better performance in gaming and rendering?

Cheers!

Okay, yes. Much different than a driver update. Bios updates generally reset frequencies and voltages to stock values. For future reference, best jot down those overclocking values on paper so you can plug them back in.

The best place to start as far as overclocking is to gather some stress test/stability and reporting tools and then do a max temp eval under full load. Here are our standard toos:

CPU-z

HWMonitor

Prime95

All are free, go to the author's website to make sure you get the latest versions. Make sure you get the right version (32-bit or 64-bit) to match your OS or get the combo package which is usually the .exe version. If you get the .exe version pay close attention to the tool bar and adware options during install so you don't get a lot of junk installed on your system you don't want.

When you have these installed get back to us and we'll walk you through the max temp stress test.

Last edited:
Okay. Open up HWMonitor first. Leave it open while you run a 20 minute Prime95 "blend" "just stress testing" test. When it's over, post back with an attached pic of the HWMonitor interface. To attach a pic, first crop (we don't want to see you whole desktop, just the relevant image) and save the image with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. That will load the file browser/upload tool and the rest is obvious.

It will do as many as it can do in a given amount of time and that will vary with how fast the CPU is. Don't worry about that. Just run it for 20 minutes and then stop it. Make sure HWMonitor is open in the background before you start and then attach a pic of that when the 20 minute test is over. Prime95 will tax your CPU to very nearly 100% capacity and we use it to 1. test for max temps and 2. to test for stability when overclocking.

On your system, TMPIN0 is your motherboard socket temp, something we usually refer to as "CPU temp". The sensor for this is embedded in the socket area or very close to it. We usually tell folks that around 70c is the max stable temp for that one.

"Package" is what we typically refer to as "core temp". The sensor is located somewhere on the processor die. We usually tell people that the max stable temp for that is around 60c. As you can see, you are right there on both accounts from a temp standpoint and you really need a good aftermarket cooler like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 to progress much in your overclock and to have safe and stable temps.

"CPU vcore" is the man voltage control for overclocking the CPU. Your temps will probably not allow you to supplement this.

You never answered my question about what make and model CPU cooler you are using.

Attachments

• HWM.PNG
    HWM.PNG
    30.3 KB · Views: 44
Hmmm, so I shouldnt overclock? And I can't add in any more fans becuase it's a custom pc site I bought it from and it voids the warranty. I can't seem to find out the cooling system.

Hmmm, so I shouldnt overclock? And I can't add in any more fans becuase it's a custom pc site I bought it from and it voids the warranty. I can't seem to find out the cooling system.

You did not show all the screen captues asked for so no idea what speed you are running at when you show the caputure of HWMonitor above. However the temps are already right at the 'door' of the most I would run day in and day out on one of my AMD rigs so it is not wise to try to add more cpu voltage to go any faster. Does that mean you cannot overclock? Well if it is not already overclocked, you would not have much heat-headroom to get hotter by going much faster, so for you no real overclocking.

You can try overclocking the CPU without changing the cooler but you won't get far. Try increasing the CPU multiplier by .5x at a time. After each increase, run a Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes to check for stability. If it passes, increase the multiplier by anotherr .5x. Failing the test means BSOD, spontaneous restart, lock up or having one of the Prime95 core workers drop out. When you first fail the stress test, reduce the multiplier by .5x and then do a two hour long blend stress test with Prime. If it passes, that's your max overclock with current CPU vcore and cooling. You should not see much temp increase unless you increase vcore. which I am not advising you to. Oh, yes, have HWMonitor open during every stress test to monitor temps.

The CPU multiplier may be expressed as something like "CPU core ratio" or something similar. You will probably need to take your overclock tweaker main control off of Auto and put it to manual in order to see the setting. I think 18x is stock on that CPU.

You can try overclocking the CPU without changing the cooler but you won't get far. Try increasing the CPU multiplier by .5x at a time. After each increase, run a Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes to check for stability. If it passes, increase the multiplier by anotherr .5x. Failing the test means BSOD, spontaneous restart, lock up or having one of the Prime95 core workers drop out. When you first fail the stress test, reduce the multiplier by .5x and then do a two hour long blend stress test with Prime. If it passes, that's your max overclock with current CPU vcore and cooling. You should not see much temp increase unless you increase vcore. which I am not advising you to. Oh, yes, have HWMonitor open during every stress test to monitor temps.

The CPU multiplier may be expressed as something like "CPU core ratio" or something similar. You will probably need to take your overclock tweaker main control off of Auto and put it to manual in order to see the setting. I think 18x is stock on that CPU.

Thanks, ill try tomorrow, its late here

Back