• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help With Computer Suddenly Shuts down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yu_tsuu

The PC shuts down when playing video games, the problem occurs regularly though not always. The problem started since the day i got the PC. The thermals are pretty normal with the GPU averaging about 60 celsius and the CPU 70 celsius. I ran multiple benchmarks stressing the GPU and CPU to their limits for hours yet the PC did not shut down, it happens only during games.
my specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RX5700XT MSI MECH
MB: ASROCK B450M-HDV R4.0
RAM: 8*2 ADATA XPG Z1 3200MHZ
PSU: EVGA 700 W1, 80+ WHITE 700W

some of the solutions i tried with no avail:
Full disassembly and reassembly for the parts to make sure nothing is loose.
New thermal paste for the cpu...did not help as well.
New cable for the psu.
Tried several operating systems (windows7, 8.1 and now 10).
PLEASE HELP ME PEOPLE
if there are any information about the PC that I forgot to mention just tell me and i will answer

Last edited by a moderator:
There might be a problem with the PSU if the PC just shuts off. Do you have a substitute PSU to try.

I removed your shortened link in your post, sorry not going to trust a person's first post to include a non-resolvable link. If you want to share additional specs just put them here.

I would suggest you run the Realbench stress test for two hours. Configure the test settings to use half of your total RAM. Realbench stresses both the CPU and the GPU at the same time and so will load your PSU pretty good. I note that your PSU is at the bottom rung (white) of the EVGA family.

Sounds like a GPU issue, PSU issue, or video driver issue.

First of all, go in your BIOS and set "Optimized Defaults" if you have that option. If not, then "Default Settings" or whatever closely matches.

Next, go to your GPU vendor's site and download the latest driver. If you have an ATI card, visit AMD's support page. If you have a GeForce, visit Nvidia's site.

If that does not help try testing your power supply's output voltage. If you have a digital multi-meter, I'd check your 12V line while running stress tests \ gaming. Tell us the lowest value you get. If you do not own a DMM, HW Monitor by CPUID is free, and reports voltages. It will save min & max values for everything. Open that up, do your thing in a game, and close the game before it would usually crash. Screenshot that data and show us.

Lastly, Welcome to the Forums!

i was having similar issues a while ago. a good battery backup solved my problems. crappy power at the the apartments i was at would flicker from time to time, tripping my computer to reset. havent had the problem since.

i was having similar issues a while ago. a good battery backup solved my problems. crappy power at the the apartments i was at would flicker from time to time, tripping my computer to reset. havent had the problem since.

Unfortunately the OP has not revisited here since he joined... (literally the same day)

But good tip! A UPS for a desktop is a very small investment compared to losing work, or that high-score ;)

I know he's not around but I had a similar problem with my RX480 system. It would randomly shut down running Folding@Home. Turned out the Wattman fan control couldn't/wouldn't manage the GPU temperature well enough to prevent a thermal shutdown. I installed Afterburner, created an aggressive custom fan curve, and the problem went away.

Hm.. I'm surprised that the card wouldn't thermal throttle on its own by down-clocking... Although, under a folding load I guess if software was mucking w the fan settings it may not have a chance. What card was this with? Just curious.

I know he's not around but I had a similar problem with my RX480 system. It would randomly shut down running Folding@Home. Turned out the Wattman fan control couldn't/wouldn't manage the GPU temperature well enough to prevent a thermal shutdown. I installed Afterburner, created an aggressive custom fan curve, and the problem went away.

I find that you need to, with Polaris, I'm including RX580 here as well, even when I never got a shutdown. Here's a custom fan curve I created for my Radeon RX580, back in the summer, in July:

Radeon_RX580_Fan.jpg

Hm.. I'm surprised that the card wouldn't thermal throttle on its own by down-clocking... Although, under a folding load I guess if software was mucking w the fan settings it may not have a chance. What card was this with? Just curious.

It is an MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB. Wattman is what AMD calls their control panel overclocking utility.
Sadly that PC is currently dead. Not sure if it is the GPU or the power supply. I need to find time to troubleshoot it.

Back